Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sound of music

• 21-09-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

is going to be in grand canal theatre next april,got my tickets already!its got to be one of the best musicals ever!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

The cast of the film were all on Oprah a few days, it's on YouTube! Love this musical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 baigarman

I <3<3<3 the Sound of Music!!!!!!! It's such a timeless film. It also is such a wonderfully musical movie, not like some of these so called musicals nowadays! It can never be redone...EVER!!!!!! Julie Andrews is the quintessential Maria! I <3 her! Anyway, my favorite song is "My favorite things!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

IMO Julie Andrews is the ultimate musical star. She's so so talented and so graceful. If I had to choose someone to be like it'd be her without a seconds hesitation.

I'm going to book my tickets for this soon, I'd love to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Looking forward to it, not least cos one of my best friends is in it! Irish girl who studied in London and has worked professionally since. Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Oh! I have to get a ticket to this, one of my favourite musicals EVER! When ever I'm home with my mum we sing along to all the songs together! We probably sound like two crows. It's funny how music brings people together!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kirstieames

It's great movie. I have seen it approximatly 6-7 times with my friends. I remember it was released on March 2, 1965. Me and my friends were go to watch it on theater. Its story is superb and acting of its all characters is original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have decided what I am watching when I go home. Thanks guys!

When I was about 14 I had a serious crush on the oldest girl, Liesl. We were watching the movie possible on Stephen's day and I made a comment about her and my Dad goes. "I dont think she is still alive. If she is, she is very old now". I was devastated. It only recently occurred to me that she was younger than Julie Andrews, who is still kicking, and not in bad shape, so she must be still around.

She has a website now : www.charmiancarr.com

I don't think I would go and see a musical of it to be honest. The move is just perfection.
    It's great movie. I have seen it approximatly 6-7 times with my friends. I remember it was released on March 2, 1965. Me and my friends were go to watch it on theater. Its story is superb and acting of its all characters is original.

6-7 times? Lightweight! ;) I'd say I have seen it about 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Haha, I hate that musical.
    I'm half Austrian and the clichés in Sound of Music are just aweful.
    As if everyone there would be running around in knickerbockers, picking gentian and be yodelling all day. Some people in the US really think people there are like that for real and are disappointed when visiting Vienna, lol.

But anyways, have fun at the show!
    I'm not trying to ruin it for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Has anyone been to see this yet? I'm going on Thursday and I'm super excited!

Going later in the month, can't wait to see my friend on the stage, living the dream :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Some of the songs from the movie version are not in the musical?

Nolanger wrote: »
    Some of the songs from the movie version are not in the musical?

The musical pre-dates the movie...like in many other shows that went from stage to screen or vice versa, songs are changed and added/deleted. Hairspray and Dreamgirls are other examples. In some cases, like Mary Poppins and Billy Elliot the songs are almost entirely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 prosarch

On the tour website, and the track listing of the Palladium cast recording with Connie Fisher, which is where this production and tour started, the songs written for the move, I have Confidence in Me and Something Good, are in the stage production. If any has seen it I am sure they will confirm. I am seeing it next week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Would love to go but alas, student budgeting has finally caught up with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Could anyone who has seen this at the Grand Canal Theatre remember a certain quote? The Captain comments on Maria's new dress and she retorts " new (blank) "

Can anyone remember the word she used? I don't think it was in the original?

Thanks in advance

Will keep an ear out next week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Yorky wrote: »
    Could anyone who has seen this at the Grand Canal Theatre remember a certain quote? The Captain comments on Maria's new dress and she retorts " new (blank) "

Can anyone remember the word she used? I don't think it was in the original?

Thanks in advance

It was postulant/postulate i think, i think it means new nun-in-training :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 euphrosyna

I was at it last night in the GCT and it was brilliant.

One question for anyone who has been already - there was a person in the corner translating it into sign language - is that at every performance or was it for a group in that specific audience?

It was a one night only thing in association with the Irish Deaf Society http://www.irishdeaf.com/?p=5927

Tbh I found the signing to be more entertaining than what was on stage at times. The Mother Abbess was AMAZING and stole the show for me. As for Verity and Jason - proof that celebrities should never be cast on name alone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

athtrasna wrote: »
    It was a one night only thing in association with the Irish Deaf Society http://www.irishdeaf.com/?p=5927

Tbh I found the signing to be more entertaining than what was on stage at times. The Mother Abbess was AMAZING and stole the show for me. As for Verity and Jason - proof that celebrities should never be cast on name alone :(

I agree with you on Jason - he was disappointing, which was a pity because he was excellent in Priscilla Queen of the Desert when I saw it in London.

I thought Verity was good though. But yeah the Mother Abbess was brilliant.

• Advertisement

I quite liked Verity's singing but for someone known as an actress she majorly over acted everything bar the chemistry with the Captain (which they both failed miserably with). I cringed on more than one occasion at her facial expressions and over the top gestures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Oh dear :(
    I had thought about saving up and going to this but I'm rather put off the idea now. Such a shame to hear about the actors

It closes tonight (Saturday) anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

ha, well done me then! *no concept of time lately*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 prosarch

I really enjoyed the show (the music is fab!), but do agree with lack of chemistry points already made. But Mother Abbess was an amazing singer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

athtrasna wrote: »
    I quite liked Verity's singing but for someone known as an actress she majorly over acted everything bar the chemistry with the Captain (which they both failed miserably with). I cringed on more than one occasion at her facial expressions and over the top gestures.

I agree with this. Her acting was very amateurish and over the top. I just kept thinking to myself, how on earth did she manage to keep her role on Emmerdale for so long. Badly miscast.

The nun was amazing. She brought down the house when I went to see the show and deservedly got the biggest cheer of the night for her 'Climb Every Mountain'. And again during the bows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I went to see this & thought it was very good. Jason hadn't started in it when I saw it though so can't comment on that chemistry. Verity's singing was very good, I thought but agree that the Mother Superior really stole the show. That is some voice.

Very funny the night we went though coz we all noticed that Kurt was missing off stage. My mam got chatting to the mothers of some of the stars outside at the interval & apparently he was sick right before going on & they didn't have time to get his understudy there. Was just funny though when they kept referring to 7 children when there were clearly only 6 onstage! My sister kept coming up with theories to make me life, like the Nazi's had already got Kurt or he was hiding in the mountains and sure they'd find him at the end!

Advertisement