Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newb advice :)

Options
  • 22-09-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

So after doing my rounds in Australia for the past year, i tried my hand at surfing and realy enjoyed it. I baught my first board last weekend as i want surfing to be a regular thing in my life now. Can anyone tell me were the best places for a beginner would be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

It depends on where your living and how strong a swimmer you are.There's a fair few places around ireland , generally though the west coast probably gets stronger waves and has more challenging terrain compared to the south east.
    Post where your living and I'm positive that there will be at least one person that can tell ya a spot close to where you live that should suite ya and best of l uck with the surfing man,keep it up.It might seem a bit of a pain in the arse at times when ya start but stick with it and it'll reward ya something fierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

I found Lahinch to be very good for me, where i got some lessons. its not to deep so cant just wade out and catch some waves with out having to use all your energy paddeling out. Bundoran and Rosknowlagh good as well, or tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I'm a beginner too and find tramore to be excellent. The waves are'nt so big that you wont catch any but they are plenty big for us beginners! Last day I was out there(2 weeks ago) the waves were easily 4ft in waist deep water. Tramore has a reputation as being beginner friendly and there are 4/5 surf schools.
    2hrs down the motorway and you'd be there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

Thanks for the replys. I have been to Lahinch its pretty cool. maybe i might try tramore its closer to Dublin which is also good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Keep an eye on the reports in Killiney and Brittas Bay in Wicklow. Can get good surf there this time of year sometimes and it's close to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

xseanx wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys. I have been to Lahinch its pretty cool. maybe i might try tramore its closer to Dublin which is also good for me.

Strandhill is closest to dublin I think. On smaller days its a perfect beginner break, on bigger days you will get some serious paddling practice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Enniscrone beach in sligo is good, so is Rossnowlagh and Streedgh

Advertisement