Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing Live cables

Options
  • 22-09-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Have a set of festoon lighting (220V) like what you would see on a building site which is used with a generator for temporary lighting

The last lampholder has been cut off leaving me with 9 lamp holders and then 1 foot of cable at the end. The cable at the end has two wires exposed (L/N). Now I know not to leave them exposed for safety reasons but at the moment they are simply taped up individually with tape. I know this is not ideal.

What would the best/standard way to cap the live cable ends?? (The lamp holders are sealed units so cannot disconnect back there)

I am not using them at the minute before I get grief!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

You could put them into connectors inside a junction box, this would keep them safe from being touched and from dirt and moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If its being used outdoors then try to get an IP rated box with a gland, it'll resist the water ingress better

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Darando

Cheers,

I was thinking of the junction box (and Ip rated) but I just wanted some confirmation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Some heat shrink would be ideal and tidy

Advertisement