Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yeast-like function on grass in back garden

Options
  • 22-09-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Over the last week we have noticed clumps of yeasty looking stuff on the grass on the back lawn. First we thought it was perhaps something 'placed' there by a cat, how can i put this politely, either vomit or excrement. Scraped it off the grass and hoped it would not recur.

Then it came back a few more times. Looked closer today. It's a creamy/beigey colour. Odourless. Grainy looking but kind of soft and fluffy, uniform, not like vomit. Looks like it grew there if that makes any sense. Kind of reminds me of cauliflower or romanesco curds. Or just curds.

Noticed some clear slime beside it - possibly slug eggs? or maybe just slug slime.

I know I have some frogs in the back garden but obviously not frog spawn.

Could it be anything to do with me putting out slug pellets the other day? What does frog vomit look like? Getting bizarre now.......

Or just some kind of fungus / yeast formation?

Really puzzled by it.

PS Title should read 'yeast-like *formation* on grass in back garden' (Freudian slip?!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This is something which I have not fully understood. Perhaps this thread will help.
    I'm sure what you are describing is Slime Mould.
    I had loads of it a few years back. Mostly on grass but also some in woods of what appeared to be different kind. only seen it for couple years and never came back.

I seem to remember that it was neither plant or animal....but that there may be something animal like about it.

Nothing to do with slug pellets because I don't use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭eamonn4321

Thanks for that! Yes, that is exactly what it is.

Something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuligo_septica

Really interesting organism.

Advertisement