Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So tempted

Options
  • 22-09-2010 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Have to build a syhstem as part of my ITSS course with FAS , have to pay for it naturally.....this is what im looking at....opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i have the same cpu (not overclocked) gpu and motherboard from that build and i can tell you it is a great combo the 460 plays games very well and you wont need a more powerful cpu for a long time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If it's for gaming then spend less on the processor and more on the graphics card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

+1. A 4GHz i7 is insane overkill for a good 95% of users.

As it is, in our money that will come to €1150+ shipped. Not bad given the equivalent HWVS build (cheaper, superior Mugen 2 cooler and XFX 650W PSU) comes in at ~€1025 shipped minus the barmy OC.

have to say its nice to have a good cpu though :D its easy to upgrade a gpu but cpu's are different you might as well buy the best you can afford (although AMD phenom x6 or x4 are no slouches either), for gaming i would definitely recommend the gigabyte gtx 460 as its a great card (great value as well on pixmania) plays all my games maxed at 1920x1080

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

have to say its nice to have a good cpu though :D its easy to upgrade a gpu but cpu's are different you might as well buy the best you can afford (although AMD phenom x6 or x4 are no slouches either), for gaming i would definitely recommend the gigabyte gtx 460 as its a great card (great value as well on pixmania) plays all my games maxed at 1920x1080

My q6600 is still holding it's own and taking everything I throw at it (and that's a pretty old chip). If it was me I'd go core i5 and 5870. The core i5s are more than enough for any game now and should continue to be excellent for games for the next couple of years. Plus the 5870 will let you go that little bit longer before having to upgrade the graphics card.

• Advertisement

i was actually going to go amd x6 but the lack of mobos that supported both sli and crossfire made me go i7 also the fact that i want to wait for the hd 6 series before trowing any serious cash down on a gpu, the ud3r is a great board it has 3 way sli/crossfire capabilities, but ya if your on a budget amd will not disappoint (after what ive been reading about intels new cpu's id go with amd on principle alone :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd get a different PSU; I wouldn't trust those coolermaster GXs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Solitaire wrote: »
    +1. A 4GHz i7 is insane overkill for a good 95% of users.

Agreed my 3.9Ghz i7 920 serves me plenty. Can't possibly see the benefit in upping to 4Ghz :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

^ :rolleyes::pac:

Advertisement