Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Best shop for trade-ins?

• 22-09-2010 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi guys/gals,

I'm looking to trade in some XBOX 360 games for a new game I would like to get (F1 2010). It's out tomorrow (23rd September).

I'm based in Galway City so I can go to any of Xtravision/GAME/Gamestop/Smyths.

The games I have available for trade in are as follows...

• Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
    • Red Dead Redemption
    • FIFA 10
    • 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

Both FIFA's are now rendered redundant with the impending arrival of FIFA 11 :P

Where is the best place for me to go?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Hi guys/gals,

I'm looking to trade in some XBOX 360 games for a new game I would like to get (F1 2010). It's out tomorrow (23rd September).

I'm based in Galway City so I can go to any of Xtravision/GAME/Gamestop/Smyths.

The games I have available for trade in are as follows...

• Red Dead Redemption
    • FIFA 10
    • 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

Both FIFA's are now rendered redundant with the impending arrival of FIFA 11 :P

Where is the best place for me to go?

Thanks in advance.

Why dont you just go to every shop and ask them? Thats what I always do when im in galway.

I traded in Red Dead about two weeks back in smyths and got 35 in store credit. Cant help you on the rest though. Do hmv do trade ins aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

joe123 wrote: »
    Why dont you just go to every shop and ask them? Thats what I always do when im in galway.

I traded in Red Dead about two weeks back in smyths and got 35 in store credit. Cant help you on the rest though. Do hmv do trade ins aswell?
    Because I'm a lazy sod :):p

I heard Smyths were the best but I said I'd start a thread on here to get some opinions. I haven't a clue if HMV do trade ins, I never shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Best for trading in games to receive credit is xtravision in my opinion. Last time I was in I traded the following:

Red Dead Redemption
    Borderlands
    Just Cause 2
    Splinter Cell Conviction
    Alpha Protocol

and I got enough credit to buy

Bioshock 2 (Preowned)
    UFC 2010
    Left 4 Dead 2 (Preowned)
    Battlefield Bad Company 2

paid twenty yoyos to get Mario for the Wii so I traded in 5 games + €20 for 5 games. I was happy and I think they gave me €30 for Alpha Protocol despite its ****eness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Go to gamestop now and trade in one of the games and ask can you prebook F1 2010 and they will give you 25% extra credit, this only works with prebooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Smyths are awful imo for trade ins, went to trade in a few games a few weeks back and the highest amount I got offered for a single game was 8 euro.Went to xtravision and got 20 euro store credit for the same game, think it was either cod2 or bf2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Xtravision definitely, I trade in all my games there. I'm not sure if all Xtravisions are the same when it comes to this though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I've found Xtravison give better trade in price, but in general I've noticed they are €5 more expensive for new releases. HMV are not great for trade in but many new releases recently came with with ms points or a blu ray of something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I have only traded my games at gamestop for handyness sake. But i know gamestop give you more value for your games if you take store credit instead of the cash. I always take the credit cause i know somewhere down the line im gonna pick up some games. Is this the same with Xtravision and such? Or are these figures you guys are quoting store credit only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

[*]Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
    [*]Red Dead Redemption

In store credit in Smyths:

€20 for C.O.D
    €32 for Red Dead

That's correct as of last weekend but I can't imagine there's been any change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Don't know if it differs around the country but I was offered 8 euro(as I previously stated) store credit for cod mw 2 in smyths.Actually felt insulted by it cause they were selling 2nd hand copies for around 40 euros, and even if they were offering 20 euros for it, its still a rip.

• Advertisement

Meatwad wrote: »
    Don't know if it differs around the country but I was offered 8 euro(as I previously stated) store credit for cod mw 2 in smyths.Actually felt insulted by it cause they were selling 2nd hand copies for around 40 euros, and even if they were offering 20 euros for it, its still a rip.

It was €8 at one stage when it was reduced but AFAIK it's €20 now. I'll check again on Saturday

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I rang around today and below are my findings!

Red Dead Redemption

Store Credit *

Gamestop - 20
    Game - 20
    HMV - 27
    Smyths - 25
    Xtra Vision - 30

Judging by this I think HMV have the best value against another game!!

* Prices are correct as of 23rd September 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Mr Moon wrote: »
    I rang around today and below are my findings!

Red Dead Redemption

Store Credit *

Gamestop - 20
    Game - 20
    HMV - 27
    Smyths - 25
    Xtra Vision - 30

Judging by this I think HMV have the best value against another game!!

* Prices are correct as of 23rd September 2010

Are Xtra-vision not offering the best value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

jenno86 wrote: »
    Are Xtra-vision not offering the best value?

Games are generally cheaper by about a fiver in HMV though. New games at least anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Meatwad wrote: »
    Smyths are awful imo for trade ins

Amen. Was looking to get Reach and Xtra Vision offered me 30 blips for Metro 2033, but were out of the game when I went to buy it. Went to Smyths and they offered me a tenner for Metro. Waited two days and gave Xtra Vision 20 quid plus Metro for Reach, happy days.

That said, I remember getting a game in HMV with a trade-in and paying 10 quid for it (game 45, value of trade-in 35). The same deal would have cost me 25 quid in Xtra vision (game 55, value of trade-in 30). Can't remember what the games were, though!

The moral is: shop around on the day!:pac:

niallon wrote: »
    It was €8 at one stage when it was reduced but AFAIK it's €20 now. I'll check again on Saturday

€16 in Smyths for Modern Warfare 2 if you're still looking to trade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

I ended up going to Smyths. I traded
    • Red Dead Redemption
    For F1 2010. Happy enough with that. Both games were just collecting dust.

Advertisement