Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym costs in Australia

Options
  • 22-09-2010 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hey guys how much should it cost to join a gym here?

With summer on its way I need to lose some of the extra layer of warmth I have put on to help me through the cold winter months.

I live in Richmond in Melbourne so was looking at the Richmond recreational center but its membership is $82 per month. Is this normal? It doesn’t have a joining fee at the moment and looks like a pretty good gym .

Anyone go to any gyms in Melbourne that they would recommend?

If you’re not in Melbourne do you know how much a gym membership should cost in Oz?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Joined Fitness First on Alma Road:
    $50 Admin Fee
    $70 joining fee

$25 a week after that

The $120 p*ssed me off but its a decent gym, swimming pool, tennis courts, volleyball,sauna,steam room,spinning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Joined Fitness First on Alma Road:
    $50 Admin Fee
    $70 joining fee

$25 a week after that

The $120 p*ssed me off but its a decent gym, swimming pool, tennis courts, volleyball,sauna,steam room,spinning etc.

So that’s about $109 a month then. The $82 a month doesn’t look too bad so.

My friend goes to a YMCA one and I think she said she pays about $55 a month so I was just wondering what other places cost. Ill have to check and see which one she goes to.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

just a note on fitness first..... they always have offers on where the joining fee is waived/ weekly fee can be negotiated. Especially at the end of a month, i know from a friend who has worked as membership sales consultant that if the club hasnt reached their sales target for the months then you can get the weekly fee dropped to 15 dollars a week etc.

Fitness first is good (i pay 27 a week, never paid a joining fee, every 2 weeks by direct debit - if i want to cancel i have to give a months notice)

It doesnt sound like a lot but its 110 dollars a month..... if u dont use it and theres months where i havent gone once then its alot to be paying.
    Theres gyms in sydney who charge 6 or 7 dollars a time casual use, so unless you're going 4 times+ a week then maybe thats a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

$10 a visit with Jetts in QLD. Can't remember how much per month/week. No contract with Jetts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I used to use this gym: http://www.muscleandbodyshape.com.au/gym_info.html

9$ casual, used to be 7, never found it to busy.

Christ I miss Melbourne! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Make sure you read Fitness First's T&Cs before you consider them.

Horrible pricks to deal with in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

YMCA ... 64 Bucks a month for the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Best gym of all is the local park. Lots of them around. And they're free. Plenty of ovals around too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Avoid fitness first like the plague is the advice from most people I know who have used them.

Cancelling your Subscription is a nightmare, and they will try and get you to sign up to other things til your at about $150 a month and have no idea why.

why not just Jog to the beach and go for a Swim every mornin instead?

Advertisement