Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How cheap is Oz

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

jank wrote: »
    Em... rent, house prices and beer in Liquor shops. Public transportation aint exactly cheap either!
    Some things are cheaper but some things are more expensive.

Rent and house prices? Hardly. The price of housing in areas of the mid to far west are way lower than areas a similar distance from central Dublin at the height of the boom. And remember, Aussie "sh1tholes" in West Sydney arent near as bad as their equivalent estates in Dublin in terms of crime etc, yet people were paying mad prices for homes in burglary central back home.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Ah now Damo maybe that $5 pint was a concession rate for those students on the old 'Martial Arts visa' :D:D

This is getting tiresome, really. I offered the details of the course to the OP in that thread if he wanted to PM me.
    He didnt. I didnt want to throw the details out for everyone and their granny to see in case the course becomes too congested, though seeing as pretty much every Irishman in Australia bar you knows about the course by now and how/where to obtain it (not to mention courses that are apparently even cheaper) it probably wouldnt make a difference.

Really, move on with your life. You were wrong. Woefully. If you cant get over it and stop dropping little snide remarks into every fcuking thread I post in you should really look at obtaining some mates, social life, hobbys, anything away from waging personal vendetta on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

This is getting tiresome, really. I offered the details of the course to the OP in that thread if he wanted to PM me.
    He didnt. I didnt want to throw the details out for everyone and their granny to see in case the course becomes too congested, though seeing as pretty much every Irishman in Australia bar you knows about the course by now and how/where to obtain it (not to mention courses that are apparently even cheaper) it probably wouldnt make a difference.

Ah Jaysus Damo you don't have to be like that.

Please tell us how to obtain, like whats the Pre-requisite for a martial arts student visa? Is there any advantage being Asian for instance?

Bound to plenty of people interested alright, surely is better than going home to Ireland to join the dole queue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Rent and house prices? Hardly. The price of housing in areas of the mid to far west are way lower than areas a similar distance from central Dublin at the height of the boom. And remember, Aussie "sh1tholes" in West Sydney arent near as bad as their equivalent estates in Dublin in terms of crime etc, yet people were paying mad prices for homes in burglary central back home..

Em no I dont think so. The average price of a house in Sydney is close to 600k! That is higher than the average price at the height of the boom in Ireland late 2007. So yea it is true. Just cause you say it isnt doesnt make is so. There are these things called FACTs the define if you are right or wrong.

Really, move on with your life. You were wrong. Woefully. If you cant get over it and stop dropping little snide remarks into every fcuking thread I post in you should really look at obtaining some mates, social life, hobbys, anything away from waging personal vendetta on the internet.

I dont know of this magical course either. What makes you assume that everyone else does. So spill the beans Post a link or for the final time GTFO.
    Are you Walter Mitty?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Like what, out of curiousity? Im hard pressed to think of anything that is equal to or more expensive here than back home (fcuk sake, it really says alot about Ireland when a pint of Guinness imported from x thousand miles away costs around 3.70 euro in Sydney and 50 cent more back home). The only thing I can think of that is of equal price is offy booze, there isnt nearly as much decent carry our discount beer here as there is back home.

They brew that Guinness in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MOD Could we stop the OT discussions on Student visas and the general sniping please.

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote: »
    MOD Could we stop the OT discussions on Student visas and the general sniping please.

ah now hold on Zambia.

Does a cheap martial arts course not fall under the How cheap is Oz topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cant bate stumbling out of PBH or Courthouse as the sun rises on a Sunday morning :)
    Fact
    Mackman wrote: »
    Its not just yank beer, most of the Aussie beer is around the same price, or dearer. Buy anything cheaper than that and your buying ****e
    a box of beer is 35-45 bucks depending on where you get it. i'm talking about all the regular beer, E.Dry, New, S.dry etc
    This is about 25-32 euro, apart from miller (which is on permanamt special offer since 2002), what 24 pack of bottles can you get in ireland for that price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Mellor wrote: »
    a box of beer is 35-45 bucks depending on where you get it. i'm talking about all the regular beer, E.Dry, New, S.dry etc
    This is about 25-32 euro, apart from miller (which is on permanamt special offer since 2002), what 24 pack of bottles can you get in ireland for that price?
    I was just in my local spar, they are selling 24 500ml cans of Carslberg for 24 euro. 1 euro cans of prasy, tsyky and bavaria. Saw 16 500ml Guinness cans for 18 in Dunnes last week. My old local offo in rathmines has a selection of 20/24 boxes of beer (bottles) for under 20 quid every week.

Yous are way out of touch lads, the economy is on its arse and so are prices here, it gets cheaper every month. Oz prices are headed the opposite direction for a long while to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

CiaranC wrote: »
    I was just in my local spar, they are selling 24 500ml cans of Carslberg for 24 euro. 1 euro cans of prasy, tsyky and bavaria. Saw 16 500ml Guinness cans for 18 in Dunnes last week. My old local offo in rathmines has a selection of 20/24 boxes of beer (bottles) for under 20 quid every week.

Yous are way out of touch lads, the economy is on its arse and so are prices here, it gets cheaper every month. Oz prices are headed the opposite direction for a long while to come.

Suppose thats triue, i was comparing prices to 2 years ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Mackman wrote: »
    Suppose thats triue, i was comparing prices to 2 years ago :)
    I left Ireland in 2007 and came back in July there, its like a different country.

Cheap stuff I miss from Oz:

Beef (even supermarket beef is excellent quality there)
    Wine (4.4 litres of cab sav for 6 euro yes please)
    Top end restaurants

Cheap stuff I was happy to come back to:

Chocolate!
    Booze
    Rent

• Advertisement

On the other hand I get paid far better in Oz. Swings and roundabouts.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    On the other hand I get paid far better in Oz. Swings and roundabouts.
    People do forget this point.

it's quite ironic debating the fact that somethings are more expensive out here, considering the unemployment rate at home, and the rate it would be if we all returned.

Mellor wrote: »
    People do forget this point.

it's quite ironic debating the fact that somethings are more expensive out here, considering the unemployment rate at home, and the rate it would be if we all returned.

Mellor apart from making our mothers happy, I doubt it would make a difference at all. From what I hear things cant get worse economically.

I literally meant all of us. and the actual % of unemployed people, n
    Say the available workfor is 2mil, 10% unemployed is 200k
    Say the 50k of us out here arrive home, most of us aren't going to get jobs, unemployment is now 12%.

Emmigration...controlling Ireland's unemployment since 1845

figures made up for the sake of simplicity

Well heres the thing we (because we are all pretty skilled and adaptable*) would find something. The figures still stand as we would push the bottom rungs into unemployment.

I get paid a lot less here (for different work) but for the most part family and friends aside am 100% happier.

*Anyone who has the skills to be accepted into Oz would be in a better position to gain employment anywhere. Unless you fell into the dreaded overskilled catergory.

Sure wasn't it the great Ronnie Drew himself who said that Irelands biggest export was people

Advertisement