Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to leave FAS course

• 22-09-2010 7:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi there, I recently started a FAS training course and want to leave it as I find it depressing for a number of reasons and don't think it will be much help. Has anyone here ever left a FAS course? What happens to your social welfare payment, I am on JA. Any advice or information gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

What course you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Talk to your instructor about it, I was on a year long course myself and by the end of it there was only a 1/2 of the class left, your instructor can advise you on what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I think you should stick the course out. You will be happier in the end. Its too easy to give up. At least its better than sitting at home all day. How will you ever stick a job if you just give up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

What about transferring to a different course?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Forgot to mention to make sure not to take the decision too lightly, if it's a relatively short course it is worth sticking it out, a future employer wont be too impressed if you can't justify why you didn't finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Thanks for all the advice guys:) Think I will stick it out, went in today and while it was still pretty crap it was a bit better. The tutor keeps going "off topic" so to speak, and labouring each point to a ridiculous level. Thanks for the suggestion about transferring to a different course, hadn't considered that option but if not an option I will stick with it as ye said, it's only 12 weeks. Was depressed yesterday as it feels like going back to school even though you have degree and postgraduate qualification, but shur that's life I guess. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

@Katkin, glad to hear you are going to stick it out to the end..Look even if its not particularly your area of interest, at least you can put it down on your C.V and showed that you took some initiative while you were looking for work!.

An employer has 2 C.V's on this desk for a new position. Both cadidates have the same qualifications/experience for the job, however one was out of work for a couple of months and done nothing, the other was also out of work, but while waiting for the right job they went and studied to enhance their skills.? Who would you employ?

Also if your in an interview for a new job you could talk about how you used you free time to improve your skills as opposed to saying you sat at home watching T.V..

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

katkin wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice guys:) Think I will stick it out, went in today and while it was still pretty crap it was a bit better. The tutor keeps going "off topic" so to speak, and labouring each point to a ridiculous level. Thanks for the suggestion about transferring to a different course, hadn't considered that option but if not an option I will stick with it as ye said, it's only 12 weeks. Was depressed yesterday as it feels like going back to school even though you have degree and postgraduate qualification, but shur that's life I guess. Thanks again.

It pains me to say you have made the right decision. I volunteered for a course late last year and was aghast at how mundane, irrelevant and mind bogglingly ridiculous the course was. Firstly it was run by a third party company, secondly it dealt with the whole process of applying for Jobs, CV's and bizarrely labor law (can you imagine sharing your new found experience in this field to any potential employer), none of which the instructor had a clue about. Indeed the poor chap was way out of his depth in a number of departments, eventually relying on mine and others input. Out of 12 on the course two had fluent English, and two had actually worked in the state. Surely when FAS were putting candidates forward one would have expected that their suitability would have been assessed. Out of the 12 that started, two lasted the course, attendance levels were farcical and the other candidate who lasted with me had absolutely no intention of seeking a job or excepting one if heaven forbid it was offered (she told me so), basically a single mother who's son reached the age of 18.

I am all for courses if they offer any additional help in finding employment but god all mighty, looking at whats on offer, i have to ask the question, how many if any of these courses benefit anyone apart from these third party training companies who's track record leads allot to be desired. What depressed me most was the carry on during the course, just bizarre.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement