Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress as CMS - CSS Problem

Options
  • 22-09-2010 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi there

I'm a newbie with Wordpress and I'm trying to integrate it into my existing website for the function of using it as a CMS. I don't require any blog functionality, only to allow certain sections of existing pages to be edited.

I have my homepage as a static template and it displays all the content but I have no idea how to make it display the CSS that I designed originally. I have tried inserting the CSS into the styles.css file but it does not seem to recognise it.

As I say, I'm new to Wordpress so it may an elementary mistake but any help or pointers would be great!

I am only experimenting on a local server at this stage.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Simply replacing the Wordpress CSS won't get you very far at all....
    You have to create a Wordpress Theme based on your own template.

The WordPress Codex has a decent guide on how to create your own theme.

If you run into more trouble, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Tbh for this project I would suggest that perhaps you might be better off using something like cushycms or modx

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

silurian1980, what you need to do is either A) port your existing HTML+CSS design to WordPress (i.e. convert it to a WP theme), or B) choose a pre-existing WP theme from somewhere online and modify it to suit your organisation identity.

Porting the HTML+CSS isn't that difficult if you're comfortable editing HTML and PHP. It should take a decent coder 1-2 hours max if it's a simple, single template design.
    nellyshark wrote: »
    Tbh for this project I would suggest that perhaps you might be better off using something like cushycms or modx

I don't see anything in the OP's post that indicates that they are *more* suitable, but I agree that they are just as suitable. WP is just fine for what (s)he wants to setup there and saves a learning curve if the users are already familiar with WP.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Trojan wrote: »
    silurian1980, what you need to do is either A) port your existing HTML+CSS design to WordPress (i.e. convert it to a WP theme), or B) choose a pre-existing WP theme from somewhere online and modify it to suit your organisation identity.

Porting the HTML+CSS isn't that difficult if you're comfortable editing HTML and PHP. It should take a decent coder 1-2 hours max if it's a simple, single template design.

I don't see anything in the OP's post that indicates that they are *more* suitable, but I agree that they are just as suitable. WP is just fine for what (s)he wants to setup there and saves a learning curve if the users are already familiar with WP.

He has his current project as a static template , presumably with included css files, for example with modx all he needs do is place the Configuration, Resource and Template Variables and/or any chunks in the correct area and bobs your uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

nellyshark wrote: »
    He has his current project as a static template , presumably with included css files, for example with modx all he needs do is place the Configuration, Resource and Template Variables and/or any chunks in the correct area and bobs your uncle

I don't disagree with you, but there's not *that* much more work with WP ...
    WordPress wrote:
    He has his current project as a static template , presumably with included css files, for example with WordPress all he needs do is place the header code in header.php, sidebar in sidebar.php, main content in page.php, footer in footer.php and rename the CSS file to style.css and/or any chunks in the correct area and bobs your uncle

:)

And then you have the benefit of thousands of plugins etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement