Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for waterproof boot recommendations

• 22-09-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

So if you are in Dublin you'll appreciate that today I feel motivated to sort out the waterproof boots I need and have been planning on getting ahead of winter setting in. I thought I'd ask all the people here though for recommendations and they did steer me right with my last lid choice.

I've been thinking of Sidi Black Rain Evo Boots, http://www.racevisors.co.uk/category/sidi-black-rain-evo-motorcycle-boots . Anyone have a pair of these? Any pro's or con's that would be good to know?

To date I've only had Oxtar and Alpine Stars boots so will need to try on the Sidi pair to make sure the size is okay. I believe Cotter's stocks the Sidi model I'm looking at.The current pair are not waterproof and I've a 40 minute commute coming up (note to self, bring spare socks).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

watching this thread with interest...

¬.¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

the only waterproof boots are goretex.
    They are more expensive but they are waterproof 100%.
    first decent test for mine was 2 hours to westport in the pissings of rain, passed with flying colours oh the comfort of dry feet!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The best boots Ive come across are Daytona, they really do last donkeys years. Goretex lined as well. Not at all cheap tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

the only waterproof boots are goretex.

That's not true.

Goretex is the most known waterproof breathable membrane, but not the only one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I've been thinking of Sidi Black Rain Evo Boots, http://www.racevisors.co.uk/category/sidi-black-rain-evo-motorcycle-boots . Anyone have a pair of these? Any pro's or con's that would be good to know?

I stumped up for the goretex version of those 3 years ago and they are still working perfectly. Would recommend. They are really comfortable, and warm in winter.

Downsides include:
    Italian sizing - if buying over the interwebnet, I'd recommend trying a pair of sidis for size as mine are not what I normally get.
    Rain "gutter" effect: sorry don't know how to describe: my previous boots would wrap tightly on my leg and my trousers would fit over. I upgraded to leathers that fit nicely inside the sidis, but it means that if you don't have rain over trousers, the rain streams down the leathers into the boots. I wear light raintrousers now generally all the time.
    Squeak: The hinges squeak when walking. I'm fairly sure that most boots do (other than plain leather).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Oryx wrote: »
    The best boots Ive come across are Daytona, they really do last donkeys years. Goretex lined as well. Not at all cheap tho.

yep - looking to get a pair of daytona's myself, but I'm going to wait for the bike show in the NEC later this year.

Garda Bikers wear daytonas fwiw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Weirdly I avoided all rain this morning. Thank god for flexible working hours.
    nereid wrote: »
    Squeak: The hinges squeak when walking. I'm fairly sure that most boots do (other than plain leather).

My last Oxtar boots actually came with silicon lube for their TCS system but when it dried up, dear lord the noise! squeak squeak squeak! Then a second guy in my office got the same boots. I used to bring in a can of Teflon for him to shut him up ;)

I will defo watch out for the size, I normally buy my first pair of something in a brick and mortar shop and then if I stick with the brand/model I'll happily purchase online from then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I will defo watch out for the size, I normally buy my first pair of something in a brick and mortar shop and then if I stick with the brand/model I'll happily purchase online from then on.

Yeah, I got my pair at the NEC bike show in 07.

Will be replacing them with the same model whenever these go. Had Oxtars as my first pair which I'd also recommend, but the goretex is something I'd never do without now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Probably worth taking a spin to Hein Gericke in Newry where you can try on the range of Alpinestar, Daytona and their own brand.

Make sure that the leathers will fit down onto the boot. Some boots like one of the BMW own brand - which I think are made by Daytona - are too tight around the calf for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

1st post, so hello to all!!

Picked up a set of Daytona Roadstar GTX for £240 Stg at the NEC last year, so far so good. Waterproof, comfortable and hardwearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I got the TCX COMPETITION SPORT GORTEX boots last year from Lees. Think I got them for €220 delivered. Great boots, never let water in and are very comfortable. Also comes with it's own squeak too ;)

These are the ones

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think all boots with a spine system squeak. Its so you can hear the bikers coming. ;) Silicone grease helps.

I think all the waterproof TCX boots (used to be Oxtar) are goretex now. Good range of boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

My first and current pair of Daytona boots are the best I've ever owned. 100% waterproof and comfy as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Rosahane wrote: »
    Probably worth taking a spin to Hein Gericke in Newry where you can try on the range of Alpinestar, Daytona and their own brand.

Make sure that the leathers will fit down onto the boot. Some boots like one of the BMW own brand - which I think are made by Daytona - are too tight around the calf for this.

I got alpinestar ones there about 5 years ago, they were excellent. Gortex ones, never leaked. They usually have a decent selection there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

I have Sidi Black Rain and they are fantastic. Never leaked even in the worst of weather. A bit narrow at the toe though. Forget it if you have wide feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Have a pair of Sidi B2 Goretex, great in the rain and they don't let in a drop. Very comfy boot and there's no breaking in needed.

Thanks for all the replies. I've changed my mind a few times now after reading different people's opinions.

Sidi B2 Goretex are in the lead currently, but will try on a few pairs over the weekend.

My current non-waterproof boots are a bit funky right now need a few days drying out time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

Oryx wrote: »

+1 on the Daytonas. I went to the NEC last year planning to replace my dainese boots with a pair of the same. the fella selling them asked me to try the daytonas out. They were so comfrtable and £100 dearer than the Daineses. I splashed out and they're the best buy ever.

completely waterproof.

Also you can get the Daytonas re-heeled when the sole wears out. Not all boots do that. my old daineses were fine except the soles had worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

just to give you my experience on buying boots.
    I asked the same question to the board-ikers.

here is the thread
    nov 2008

i eventually went with the boots suggested by Courier Collie
    boots

not the best choice.
    they were in bits after 10 or so months, and feet got a good soaking on every wet day.

i have updated my boots in the last 2 weeks.
    went to bike world.
    got these boots for €190.00

so far so good. had to up a size from 11 in the rst to 12 in the dainese.

well worth the extra money.
    especially if you are going to use them every day.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

So to finish off my boot purchasing story I ended up with TCX competizione S gortex boots. Going for €220 in cotters but got the last in my size which were a display model for €180. Spent 10 minutes going over them looking for wear and tear. Incidentally I ended up one size smaller than my Alpinestars boots, so defo worth trying on in a shop.

Overall they are bigger (higher) around the toe which makes my foot touch the gear shifter when my foot is relaxed. I'm well nervous about changing gear or grabbing neutral unintentionally. I'm a tall guy so I've not got much room to pick different positions on the bike to change the angle. Plus the TCX TCS system kind of forces a natural foot angle. Still a few more hours clocked up with them on and I'm sure I'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

My Sidi Black Rains have never let in a drop in over a year of all weather commuting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Have a look at Alt-Berg here http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle.jsp

Bought my Clubman Roadsters about 10 years ago. Had them refurbished (new zips, velcro, goretex lining, soles, heels etc) by Alt_Berg about four years ago at a cost of £75.00. Still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The only truly waterproof motorcycle boot is a Derri Boot, which is basically a glorified wellie.
    A lot of the goretex etc will let a certain amount in through zips, or runoff etc, the difference being the Goretex etc will mean your feet won't feel wet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The only truly waterproof motorcycle boot is a Derri Boot, which is basically a glorified wellie.
    A lot of the goretex etc will let a certain amount in through zips, or runoff etc, the difference being the Goretex etc will mean your feet won't feel wet.

See my post above.

100% waterproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

iv a pair of oxtar gore tex boots and have no complaints with them all weather rider aswell,,well only complaint id have is there **** wen ya have to put ur foot down on ice and maybe a bit squeeky for walking around in haha next pair will be daytonas since the local speedy said there the job :)

Advertisement