Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where do you miss?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Inspired by various threads about shops/restaurants/pubs closing down, I'm curious to know...what shops/pubs/restaurants etc. do you miss in Galway City?

I'll kick it off with Luv It on Abbeygate Street had such quirky girlie gifts,

old bar cuba

Pan Thai in Oranmore & Salthill...twas my fav restaurant. They had the best starter ever, chicken martabak with banana chutney...I've never tasted anything like it since:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

i miss the old javas n abbeygate st from bout 10yrs ago, it was my local student haunt!

i also miss the bagel bar on cross st!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Luv it is in Clarinbridge now AFAICR.

Miss the Castle in Salthill and Essence in GPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Taylor's pub, Mulligan's record shop and Bananaphoblacht for a start. And now BKs, apparently…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Luv it is in Clarinbridge now AFAICR.

Miss the Castle in Salthill and Essence in GPO.
    they moved out there alright but has closed again, there's another shop there last time I passed Clarinbridge. There was a similar shop in Corbett Court that did cool unusual gifts and lot of same stuff Luv It did but they've closed down since summer too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

ah yes bananaphoblacht.. java's main competition back n d day!

mulligans was brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Peter Pan.

Still have the scars on my elbows from the Coca Cola slide, but it was worth it.

bar cuba
    the castle
    Setanta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

padraig71 wrote: »
    Taylor's pub, Mulligan's record shop and Bananaphoblacht for a start. And now BKs, apparently…
    + 1 on all 4 of them! I even miss getting roared at by Seamus at closing time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Bananaphoblacht for sure. Best hot choc for a long shot.
    Javas, when it was not all french and bright!
    Those secomd hand shops on mainuard street.
    The Drum, when it was fun.
    Claddagh Palace for its dingyness!

Peter Pan? Many a plastic burn from that slide!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Snack Box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Strawberry Fields, pancakes, porridge, full irish, hot dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good idea for a thread OP!

Taylor's definitely.
    Rabbitt's before the refurbishment.
    I know it's kinda new but I also miss Pulp, the juice place on shop street. Used to get great carrot juices in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

The Oasis
    Klub Kaos in the Castle
    Taylors
    The original Scotty's when it was in Ernie's shop and used to do the steak bap with loadza mushies and onions....deadly
    the Snug in the Skeff

Where was Taylor's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Not that they were particularly great..more for nostalgia. When Smyths was in near Woodquay. O'Connors Electric was down the bottom of Shop Street. As a kid those places were bright and had cool things...

Granny Creavens in Headford for the sweets! There was some spot out in Salthill that did nice pancakes. Leisureland when it was new and exciting. Peter Pan Fun World.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Where was Taylor's?
    It's the strip club next to the Rosin I think.

I miss there being no traffic - getting a lift from my house to school in town 8 miles away at 8.40 and still being on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Sheridans on the Docks, loved that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

The Claddagh Palace. I queued around the corner to get into see the Turtles there. I and the rest of my family still refer to that stretch of road as "down by the Claddagh Palace."

The Cottage Shop on Knocknacarra Road. Then cross the road to Keanes for the sweets the other place didn't have.

I don't normally go to restaurants so I don't have any fond memories (or even knowledge) of any that have closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Taylor's.
    Snackbox (now there's a blast from the past).
    The Warwick in its heyday.
    Churchlane and the Alley (for pure entertainment value, or maybe I just miss being 20, care-free and drunk...;-))
    BKs
    LeGraal.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Padraig's down by the docks. God be with the days when the wages would come through on a Thursday night and you could watch the sun rise over the docks on Friday morning with a delicious pint of Labatt's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Lydon's Bakery on Shop Street - not the big one where Lynch's is; the small one further up where Benetton used to be. Still remember the Doughnuts there!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I can't believe we're 22 posts in and nobody has mentioned Vagabonds yet!

Malice_ wrote: »
    I can't believe we're 22 posts in and nobody has mentioned Vagabonds yet!

Sure you could never remember anything the morning after being there, not to mind years later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

churchview wrote: »
    Sure you could never remember anything the morning after being there, not to mind years later :D
    Ah I don't know about that. Just because they offered cocktail specials didn't mean you had to drink yourself into oblivion ;)

One of my many memories of that place is standing halfway down the stairs between the two floors with my back against the wall. I had pop/dance music in one ear and rock/metal in the other. At the time they didn't seem to clash at all but I'm well aware that the influence of alcohol may have had something to do with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

When you could drive through Shop Street,
    Strawberry Fields where the Charcoal Grill is now,
    American Madness,
    Upstairs in Cobwebs,
    Murrays in Nile Lodge,
    Downstairs in Moons when it sold homewares etc - it made me feel grown up to shop there!!
    Down stairs in Bewley's with hot chocolate
    Meadows and Byrne's Cafe upstairs in Castle street.
    The Cottage Shop of course,
    The Stalls in Eyre Square (when it wasn't just the Devaneys)
    The Oasis back in the early nineties,
    The Warwick for New Year's Eve,
    Willies on Threadneedle Road,
    Del Rios in Salthill ( I never stepped inside the door of it but I used to think it was a very exotically named place for Salthill!)
    Supermacs in Newcastle when it first opened,
    Penneys when it first opened in the Eyre Square Centre in the nineties was a mecca, in fact the whole centre was just amazing to us!!!
    And strangely, Holy Hour in pubs of a Sunday (Don't know why, made the day different)
    The days when the shops only opened on Sunday for the month of December!(Even though I go into town on every Sunday)

Meadows and Byrne's Cafe upstairs in Castle street.

Where was that?

Supermacs in Newcastle when it first opened,

Remember the place that was there before it? Marcel's or something like that?

Funworld above Supermacs in Eyre Square.

The Wimpy in Salthill.

Murrays ice cream and pipe shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

Castle Street was at the back of Corbett Court Carpark sort of where Warehouse, A Wear, HMW are now. REmember you used to have to go down steps at the wall to get to the carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A relatively recent one... Cafe Du Journal on Quay Street.

As a small child I loved Lydons Bakery on Shop Street. Buns tasted so much better back then when a chocolate eclair was the most exotic treat in Galway and no one here had heard of a muffin or croissant.

Also upstairs in Cobwebs shop seemed like a magical treasure trove of endless girly delights even though it was only the size of the average box room bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Worser Bay.

Ok ... it's not in Galway (or even Ireland), but I still miss it or something similar!

:D

Advertisement