Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where do you miss?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Nora Crub I think it was called that! On Quay st.Where Pierres was. Dossed most of 5th and 6th year in there or Fat Freddys. Also really miss Le Graal, Taylors, The old blue note... it used to do a great Sunday brunch(same guy who has the cottage now) and jazz. The old Monroes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Raftery's Bike Shop
    Bentley Nightclub
    The old Eglinton Snooker Hall over GPO
    O'Connors Electrical on Shop St.
    Glynn's Shop. Went to see Santa there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The American Bar, the Bentley II and The Icon, a decent glass of home made lemonade in the House of James restaurant, the Good Food Company, Frank Cahill in Cahill's shop, on Cooke's Corner. Sweets at twelve, and to a lesser extent, news at ten. FutureZone on prospect Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Lol I must know a lot of the oldies on here:-o Anyways places and things that havnt been mentioned: Green Acres, Courtneys, Keatings and Hassetts for chips. The video games inside the doors of Pennys and Quinsworth to play with while mother went shopping. The Space Invaders and Astroids machines in the Imperial. The table top video games at the back of the Skeff. The 'The Invaders' game in the Base Inn (must have been the first ever pirated video game). The poker machines hidden in the back room of the bookies in Mervue. The guy taking photos with the monkey in Eyre Sq. The woman with the monkey shopping in Five Star. The day old chicks in the tank thingy in Five Star at Easter. Claddagh Races. Claddagh bike races. Independent Radio Galway. Better stop before I die of reminiscentsess lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

miss antonio's where pantai was.

anyone remember shellys i think it was on shantalla road. next to mace which was formelly spar. used to be so nice or maybe im just remembering it as a treat cause back then takeaways were not is common. birthdays and special occasions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Snack Box

Mactard wrote: »
    Snack Box

In my pre veggie days: 5p chops and bones for the dog from Mikes parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Hannibals bk the west the old kebab shop, cafe upstairs in news at ten, the left bank, old supermacs on the bridge, clan electrics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ChemicalColony

The Weigh Inn especially No Banjo Sunday sessions. Salt House is just another gimmicky West bar.

Definitely Snack Box
    John Deely's *wacky hat shop my arse* at least now it's a fujifilm store.
    Mario's after Snack Box
    Pádraigín's
    The old Roisín Dubh
    The Radisson Nightclub, it kept scumbags far away and thus the GPO fun.

Hopefully we won't be adding O'Connells to this list in the future. Starting to get the attention of a few local hipsters/posers. Bet they've never had a pint at the bar, or tried the Guinness. Roisín Dubh syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The Weigh Inn especially No Banjo Sunday sessions. Salt House is just another gimmicky West bar.
    Have to say that I like the Salt House.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 billybobonline

O Gormans before it was Easons. I remember the toys section upstairs when I was a wee man. Used to spin around the shop on their electric motorbike that Santa never bought for me!! Staff must 've loved me and friends in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 billybobonline

O and anyone remember Superbowl? American themed restaurant where CPs is now? Remeber going in there and getting huge bowls of ice cream for dessert. Light fittings made from American football helmets. Now that place was before its time, come to think of it, don't think it lasted too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Quinnsworth Hardware in the Galway Shopping Centre before the centre had the roof built. I remember getting drenched queueing up for Santa Claus then spending the rest of the day playing Sonic the Hedgehog on display while the adults got the shopping done.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Starting to get the attention of a few local hipsters/posers. Bet they've never had a pint at the bar, or tried the Guinness.

??? Starting to get the attention? What about every Friday night that Connacht play at home? It's brimming with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Apostasy (pre BananaPhoblacht)
    Le Graal / The Pumphouse / KnoKnos (I used to enjoy working in them)
    The Toucan Cafe (pre Kettle of Fish)
    O'Gormans (pre Easons) - I still have a remote control car which I bought there with a gift voucher I won!
    Naughtons Drapers (pre Front Door/Sonnys)

O and anyone remember Superbowl? American themed restaurant where CPs is now?

Wasn't that on Shop Street where Church Lane used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Does anyone know what's the story with the Warwick these days? Is it completely abandoned? There's usually a couple of cars parked outside but never much sign of life. It's a big building, I'm sure its worth a few bob even in a recession!

I've a lot of memories from my college days of that place - often ended up walking home in the rain due to the severe shortage of taxis!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's the story with the Warwick these days? Is it completely abandoned? There's usually a couple of cars parked outside but never much sign of life. It's a big building, I'm sure its worth a few bob even in a recession!

I've a lot of memories from my college days of that place - often ended up walking home in the rain due to the severe shortage of taxis!

Unfortunately it's repossessed. It was extremely profitable as a stand alone business, but unfortunately they used it to finance the purchase of development land which dragged the whole thing down. The people that had it were lovely people apparently - only met them myself once or twice.

Great memories from years ago in the Warwick...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

The Harbour Bar..made Padraigs look tame.

The Snug on shop st when it had live music on a Friday night usually Mojo.
    +1 on the Harbour Bar, legendary spot! Like a scene from an old pirate movie - anything went there really!

A good spot from the same era for a late drink was the Hibernian (now the Blue Note), spent some pretty surreal nights in there, a real speakeasy vibe in there.

I'm struggling to think of the name of that other surreal bar across from UCGH, now the River Inn. It was handy for an after hours bottle of vodka or whatever you were having.

Peter Michaels aka Kehelahans.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

churchview wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's repossessed. It was extremely profitable as a stand alone business, but unfortunately they used it to finance the purchase of development land which dragged the whole thing down. The people that had it were lovely people apparently - only met them myself once or twice.

If it was extremely profitable as a standalone business it would be running as a stand alone business. No one close profitable operations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I don't think they went mad for property. While the Nightclub in particular was very successful the Hotel never went that well and they bought the Hotel fo considerable money on the first place in the 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Unfortunately it's repossessed

Link? That's not true AFAIK.
    Galwayps wrote:
    They bought the Hotel for considerable money on the first place in the 90's

£600k in 1994 wasn't really "considerable" in the general scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Short documentary on the old Rahoon Flats (1998):

You miss Rahoon Flats?

yeehaw wrote: »
    If it was extremely profitable as a standalone business it would be running as a stand alone business. No one close profitable operations.

You're applying logic.

Unfortunately, banks these days don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Galwayps wrote: »
    I don't think they went mad for property. While the Nightclub in particular was very successful the Hotel never went that well and they bought the Hotel fo considerable money on the first place in the 90's

The niteclub seemed to go downhill very fast in terms of attendances in it's latter days. Back in the mid to late '90's it was jam packed from Thurs through to sat nights! I think once the "super-pubs" in town started regularly serving till 2:30am, the crowds venturing out to Salthill tailed off a lot.

I'm sure if we weren't in the middle of a property collapse right now that the Warwick building would now be a block of "executive" apartments or yet another bland hotel!

Galwayps wrote: »

Never said they went mad for it. They bought enough not to be able to service the debt when the bubble burst and they couldn't develop what they'd bought.

soundbyte wrote: »
    Link? That's not true AFAIK.

I don't have a link. The barrister who handled the case for the bank is a personal friend. It'll be a matter of court record.

Anyway, back on topic.

Strawberry Fields in the Grand in Salthill.

And the doughnut place on Quay Street. What was that called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

The Sacre Coeur Hotel, used to love going there with my parents for the odd Sunday lunch, they had the best jelly and ice-cream :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I remember Superbowl but also the most delicious toasted cheese sandwich I ever tasted I got in the Lions ____? on Eglinton St or was it the Yacht?

But what i miss the most is the atmosphere of town many years ago when there were lots of things starting out such as Cuirt, the alternative arts festivals, Beat on the Street out in Salthill etc., It was a less money-focused time..

Advertisement