Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where do you miss?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

snubbleste wrote: »
    I remember Superbowl but also the most delicious toasted cheese sandwich I ever tasted I got in the Lions ____? on Eglinton St or was it the Yacht?

But what i miss the most is the atmosphere of town many years ago when there were lots of things starting out such as Cuirt, the alternative arts festivals, Beat on the Street out in Salthill etc., It was a less money-focused time..

The Lions Tower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Silke's fruit and veg shop down Munster Ave, they did a great take-away soup and sandwich.
    It's already been mentioned but O'Connors on Shop St, i remember when it closed and then there was a Christmas shop in it's place.
    Lydons bakery on Shop St (Zhivago's) had great cakes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Tanos restaurant in oughterard,pity not more people knew about it,very cheap and unreal food,would give mcdonaghs a run for ther money for the nicest chips

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Bananaphoblacht for sure. Best hot choc for a long shot.
    Claddagh Palace for its dingyness!

and Terry singing to the queue outside in the rain
    and the Town Hall for being even more dingy.
    Sticky carpets from years of ground in crisps,chewing gum et all,
    and the odd mouse, and JJ from St Patricks Ave who once strolled up to the front, as only he could, and started directing the imaginery orchestra who were playing the pre film music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Anyone mentioned The Bentley yet? I had a friend who fancied one of the doormen so she'd drag us there on Sunday nights back in the early 1990s. Dear God...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

JustMary wrote: »
    You miss Rahoon Flats?

Jesus Christ no, I just put that up for the few shots of town - like the Farah factory at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Peter Pan's and Angels :P (Best Birthday evar!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Was reminded earlier of two clothes shops that used to be on Abbeygate strett: Dopey Doras and Thursdays!!
    I know I must have been only small when Thursdays closed, as I remember going in with me mam to buy those plastic dummy necklace charms (?)

Then in secondary school I remember 'Angel' which was above Dopey Doras, or near it, a kind of vintage shop with levis and a massive amount of velvet jackets. They were very in , and boy I adored them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ChemicalColony

Strano's! ;)

Remember McDonagh's hardware on flood street? Great memories of my first learnings of power tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

oh god yea.. really miss stranos! that was great craic that place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Was reminded earlier of two clothes shops that used to be on Abbeygate strett: Dopey Doras and Thursdays!!
    I know I must have been only small when Thursdays closed, as I remember going in with me mam to buy those plastic dummy necklace charms (?)

Then in secondary school I remember 'Angel' which was above Dopey Doras, or near it, a kind of vintage shop with levis and a massive amount of velvet jackets. They were very in , and boy I adored them!

LadyMayBelle that was me on other thread talkin bout dopey doras!

Sad to see so many places closed down although spanning nearly 30yrs here!

But it's really cool that people have such fond memories of places and I'm enjoying all the posts:)

Sounds like Salthill really was the place to be in '80s/90s

I know a fella who proposed to his gal (now wife) one night in the Castle I think but she was so drunk she didn't remember and he had to ask again the next day...one for the grankids:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

THE AIR SHOW:eek:
    Even the days when Aer Arann used to fill the hours buzzing over and back over the bay between the exciting bits.

And on a side note, remember the Salthill Harp Festival....didn't they used to knock nearly a week out it with Bosco in the afternoon and Stocktons Wing in the evening and always in the rain...or is my memory playing tricks on me.

And TWIGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God help me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

And the first Arts Festival Macnas Parades 20 years ago used to be wonderful...remember the huge Gulliver on the beach.

And the wobbley mirrors down Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

hal9000 wrote: »
    Peter Pan's and Angels :P (Best Birthday evar!)

Angels?

And the Heineken show jumping out in the park in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

Spud Murphys.
    Did a mighty breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The Lisheen (where Kelly's is now).

Savage greasy hangover-killing breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Ha ha I loled at Thursdays - beside Cookes winebar - I think! Ya they had tac-tastic clothing and before glitzy bitz or Claires accessorys- I remember buying those plastic band things for 10p each (a lot back then) :D

Ay and Dopeys was great - shame been left to ruin. Idol Angel is the place you are thinking of with the manni outside and amazing vintage stuff - bought beautiful victorian stylie white shirt there.. Ah them were the days - before Galway had high street !! :)

I am so oo old :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

bananna phoblact fo sho... zatsuma too a bit. redlight records.

Advertisement