Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildstorm imprint finally put out of its misery, Zuda taken out back & shot as well

Options
  • 22-09-2010 9:56am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

DC announce the closure of the Wildstorm and Zuda imprints.

Personally, I'm more disappointed at the way Zuda has gone. From a fumbled start ("it's a contest") and a stupid viewing system, not to mention the endless voting nonsense, it seems DC didn't have any faith in their own editorial staff to identify what would become a successful webcomic. It has to be said that they did find some excellent material along the way (Bayou and High Moon for example), but frankly I suspect that their talent-show model didn't really appeal to the folks that they should have been gearing Zuda towards. Perhaps the talent-search idea was meant to attract a regular audience of readers - I can only assume that if this was the intention, it failed to convert enough of those readers into buyers.

As for the WSU, it's about damn time. Almost everything of note in the last five years from the WSU has been a licenced comic - and those that aren't licenced titles are things that date back a while longer. Considering how good some of the older WSU titles were (Stormwatch, Authority & Planetary from Ellis, Sleeper from Brubaker) it's a real shame those in charge of the imprint couldn't find a way to avoid becoming everything that those titles rejected. But since that has patently become the case I'd rather see someone turn off the lights and lock the door on their way out than have it lurch continually onwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Fysh wrote: »
    As for the WSU, it's about damn time. Almost everything of note in the last five years from the WSU has been a licenced comic - and those that aren't licenced titles are things that date back a while longer. Considering how good some of the older WSU titles were (Stormwatch, Authority & Planetary from Ellis, Sleeper from Brubaker) it's a real shame those in charge of the imprint couldn't find a way to avoid becoming everything that those titles rejected. But since that has patently become the case I'd rather see someone turn off the lights and lock the door on their way out than have it lurch continually onwards.

Funnily enough, the above bolded comics are the only ones I've ever read from Wildstorm (far as I can recall) so I assumed it must be a far superior imprint to what it apparently is!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

They've had plenty of decent stuff, but as far as I know almost all of their non-licenced output in the last 4 or 5 years has been fairly mediocre superhero fare.

They've almost always done a good job of getting decent creative teams together, from what I can tell, but looking at the last few years of their superhero output, they weren't producing anything sufficiently different or sufficiently better than what Marvel and DC proper publish on a regular basis.

Advertisement