Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog lover desperately wants a pooch but lives in a duplex / apartment

Options
  • 22-09-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been a dog lover since i was a we boy. I haven't had a best friend since my last dog passed away near 8 years ago. Now that I have my own home I am absolutely dying to have a pooch.

Now as the title says, I live in a duplex home (apartment) but it is 1100 sqr foot. I am very concious of getting a dog without a yard to keep him/her happy in. Having said that I live near the beach, parks and 5 mins from mountains/hills so there are tons of places for dog walks.

Recently I had a teaser, I was asked to mind my sisters Staffie. He was a lil bigger than your average Staff but he was loving the house and his 2-3 times a day walks, he even had his own room. Having said adios to him I am now left wanting a dog even more.

So I ask all you pet lovers out there, am I wrong to get a dog without a yard? If you think its not a problem as long as they are walked regularly what kind of Dog would you recommend if any?

If it comes to it I am going to have to sell my house to get a dif home with a yard.

Oh by the way i have a dislike for tiny yappy dogs and just so you know my past dogs were a Doberman and a Collie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I live in a Duplex and I own a very happy and spoiled Staffie. I won't retype what I wrote here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68098379&postcount=7

In short, it's perfectly possible, you just need routine and commitment. You have no garden, so you can't just let the dog out the back to pee and then let her back in. The dog needs to be taken for short walks at regular intervals, all day, every day.

My only real regret is that because I own a Staff and have no garden, there are very few opportunities to have her off-lead outside. We occasionally bring her down to my in-laws and let her run around their back garden, throwing balls for her and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

seamus wrote: »
    I live in a Duplex and I own a very happy and spoiled Staffie. I won't retype what I wrote here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68098379&postcount=7

In short, it's perfectly possible, you just need routine and commitment. You have no garden, so you can't just let the dog out the back to pee and then let her back in. The dog needs to be taken for short walks at regular intervals, all day, every day.

My only real regret is that because I own a Staff and have no garden, there are very few opportunities to have her off-lead outside. We occasionally bring her down to my in-laws and let her run around their back garden, throwing balls for her and so forth.

Thx Seamus,

Re leaving him off the lead, I was wondering what the story was with muzzels and letting them off the lead. as my sisters dog didn't have a muzzle for starters but later when I had him out (he's very placid and never fights or snaps) I let him off the lead around the beach area - i took careful note to make sure no one or any dogs were about at the time. there are parts of the beacht aht were completely empty.

It's illegal, simple as. The dog is supposed to be muzzled and kept on a short leash at all times in public. It's a moronic law, but that's the plain of it.

You'll find that most RB owners aren't overly concerned about muzzling unless the dog is a biter, and I've encountered a *lot* of RB's off the lead - German Shepherds primarily - so overall it seems to be one of those laws that the public at large realises is moronic.

The wardens themselves from what I've heard tend to only give you a slap on the wrist for not having a muzzle, but you can get into trouble about having the dog off-lead if some busybody idiot decides to report you. Best thing is to test the water; When you get the dog, you will find yourself encountering your neighbours a lot more often as you're out on your walks. You will very quickly find out if anyone is the type of person who will report you simply because you own a restricted breed.
    Most of my neighbours have asked me at one point or another why I don't let her off the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

My Great Dane's breeder lived in a 4th floor flat and had a very well adjusted, show winning, dog :D

I wouldn't keep a working breed - collie, lab, springer spaniel etc in an apartment but any of the small "companion" breeds should be perfectly fine in a duplex as long as you make sure they get regular exercise and establish a routine early on. Cavalier etc. That's assuming you don't just get a staffie :D

Only dogs on the restricted breeds list need to be muzzled (and on a short lead with a person over the age of 16 iirc) but all dogs need to be under control so make sure you've taught a good recall before letting your dog off lead if you do get one that's not on the restricted list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I've homechecked an apartment dweller that wanted to rehome a Staffie. As he was there all day or would have the dog with him if he was going out it was not a problem and that little staffie has been living there perfectly contented for the past year nearly and thriving!

As long as the dog is not going to be left there all day and gets regular walks and toilet breaks then I really don't see a problem. Just make sure you get a breed that is more suited to apartment living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I agree with the others, if you're dedicated to taking them out to the loo and exercising them then it shouldnt be a problem. Not getting a working breed would be sensible advise too. What about the likes of a greyhound? They're the worlds biggest couch potatoes and perfect for apartment life. They like to go out and have a tear around a couple of times a day but then crash for the rest of the day and sleep! And one look at most rescue websites around Ireland will show you how many are looking for homes, you'd have no end of choice. Mind you, you'd have no end of choice in staffies too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Dont think it would be a problem as long as you dont get a pup/young dog! Please post up pics if you go ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My only concern would be when you're out for long periods of time, e.g. work. Is it fair to keep a dog indoors on his own (sorry I'm presumimg he'd be on his own during the day when you're at work) for 8+ hours?

My only concern would be when you're out for long periods of time, e.g. work. Is it fair to keep a dog indoors on his own (sorry I'm presumimg he'd be on his own during the day when you're at work) for 8+ hours?
    That topic is a little bit of a can of worms (most people will tell you that the dog shouldn't be routinely left alone for 8 hours+), but leaving them inside is no worse than leaving them outside, provided they've enough room.

I know my dog, if given the choice between pottering around a garden and sleeping in a kennel for 8 hours, or staying inside and snoozing on the couch and looking out the window, she'll go for the couch.

The only benefit of leaving them outside is that they can go to the loo whenever they need.

You can however, successfully train a dog to use a litter tray. That might make you less inclined to take the dog out for walks though.

Thx to everyone so far its starting to look like a runner :)

Re leaving the dog alone all day, most days I would bring it to my sisters house. She's a dog nut and has 4 dogs of her own. I would on most days leave the dog in her yard so he/she has other dogs to play with while im at work. Alternitively the dog would have free roam in the house bar the bedrooms and living room. Essentially leaving them to roam about upstairs ont he landing, in the hallway and in the kitchen. So pee'ing or poo'ing in those areas I could live with. But I would only ever leave it there if there was no option of me going to my sisters.

I would like to point to out too that my intention isn't to have puppy. They require too much attention and would mess things up if left alone and there's a lack of bonding. So what I want to do is go to a pound find a dog thats toilet trained, chippped etc that was mid aged and in need of a house life style.

Just on the case of muzzles and letting my sisters dog off the leash. I had him on a tight leash at all times, I've spent a lot of time int he past trianing my previous dogs. So in no time at all he healed without prompting, being a staffie i was worried he'd be a killer of other dogs, nope not at all with this lad, when approached by other dogs he was too happy sniffing about and even when they would growl or snap at him he'd ignore it and keep sniffing about. I think it was like a "yeh right dont be stupid i'd eat you" scenario. Anyhoo while walking him in esates or on roads he'd always be on the leash. It was only on the beach when no one was around on either end of the beach that I let him off. God he loved jumping into the ocean and fetching the stick it was his favourite part of the day. Mind you washing him down in the shower afterwards was fun too he just jumped into the shower and was like "go on gis a rub" lol. So no way would I ever let him off the leash in public areas I learned that lesson with my Doberman.

Am i going to go for a staffie I duno, its kinda why im posting here to see if you guys could suggest a dif dog? Although i do love my sisters Staffie he was amazing I am doubtful I'll find another dog like him with his personality and temperment.

Sniff sniff :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Very interested to see how this thread develops, i live in a third floor apartment with a well sealed balcony and would love to get a dog too, some sort of terrier would be great.
    I work 8 hour days but because the balcony is well sealed (no chance of them squeezing out railings and falling etc.) i think it's doable but need to look into it a bit more.

I say go for it! :D

are there many people here who have a dog and leave it in the house during the work day?
    I would give it plenty of exercise in the morning and evening and give it run of the house apart from the bedrooms during the day, but would be interested to see how others manage work and a dog, thanks

I leave two dogs alone in the house while I'm at work (used to be three but we had to have one pts a couple of months ago).

A couple of years ago I set up a webcam and watched all day as they snoozed, pottered around, had a drink, had a play, snoozed, rolled over and then, 15 minutes before I was due to get home, got up. Pretty much the same routine as when I work from home, only I'm not there to take the comfiest spot on the couch :D

hadook wrote: »
    I leave two dogs alone in the house while I'm at work (used to be three but we had to have one pts a couple of months ago).

A couple of years ago I set up a webcam and watched all day as they snoozed, pottered around, had a drink, had a play, snoozed, rolled over and then, 15 minutes before I was due to get home, got up. Pretty much the same routine as when I work from home, only I'm not there to take the comfiest spot on the couch :D

what breed of dogs did you have?

Am i going to go for a staffie I duno, its kinda why im posting here to see if you guys could suggest a dif dog? Although i do love my sisters Staffie he was amazing I am doubtful I'll find another dog like him with his personality and temperment.
    I'm biased in favour of Staffs, so I can't recommend another breed. The only thing that I do know is that Staffs often play rough and other dogs (particularly smaller ones) can find them intimidating and Staffs can unintentionally do damage to other dogs - Greyhounds for example are known for having thinnish skin, so a rough playing dog may cause more scratches and damage than another Greyhound.
    So if the dog is going to be spending time with Staffies, I would recommend you throw another Staffie into the mix :)

In terms of getting a dog, I would always advise going to rescues. You will get a microchipped, neutered dog with a scored/examined temperament and you can bring your sister's dogs for a meet-and-greet to make sure they will get on together, before you commit to taking the dog.

If you go to the pound, you could get a dog with any kind of medical complaint or personality problem, they will likely not be microchipped or neutered, and the amount of people who take bitches from the pound only to discover that they're pregnant is phenomenal.
    JonnyF wrote: »
    I work 8 hour days but because the balcony is well sealed (no chance of them squeezing out railings and falling etc.) i think it's doable but need to look into it a bit more.
    You're not talking about leaving the dog on the balcony, right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonnyF viewpost.gif

No of course not but I thought that maybe putting a pet door in would let the dog go in and out a bit during the day if they wanted to, the balcony is covered and has high glass walls as opposed to railings so i think that would be safe. I would see the dog spending most of the time in the main living room/ kitchen because it has hard floors and tiles but just thought that adding the option of popping out to the balcony could give them some more room to maneuver

seamus wrote: »
    I'm biased in favour of Staffs, so I can't recommend another breed. The only thing that I do know is that Staffs often play rough and other dogs (particularly smaller ones) can find them intimidating and Staffs can unintentionally do damage to other dogs - Greyhounds for example are known for having thinnish skin, so a rough playing dog may cause more scratches and damage than another Greyhound.
    So if the dog is going to be spending time with Staffies, I would recommend you throw another Staffie into the mix :)

In terms of getting a dog, I would always advise going to rescues. You will get a microchipped, neutered dog with a scored/examined temperament and you can bring your sister's dogs for a meet-and-greet to make sure they will get on together, before you commit to taking the dog.

If you go to the pound, you could get a dog with any kind of medical complaint or personality problem, they will likely not be microchipped or neutered, and the amount of people who take bitches from the pound only to discover that they're pregnant is phenomenal.

Ah sound yeh when i said pound i mean rescue, there's a good spot up in wicklow my sister goes to a lot. Just can't remember the bloody name. Anyhoo, she has 3 wippets and the staffie and they all get on great. Infact 2 of the wippets are new pups and he's the father figure in the house as the elder wippet is a bitch and the eldest of all 4. They happily all play together and i figured it would get any dog i introduce balanced in the pack mentality (better around other dogs).

I think I do have my heart set on a Staff though :) now if i could just steal my sisters dog without my nephew going mad i'd be on a winner lol.

Having said that I wouldn't mind getting a mongrel terrier cross or something. I had messed about with the idea of getting 2 dogs that way they could entertain eachother while im at work and well train them to pee in the kitchen if they really need to go while im not there.

I like the idea of a webcam, I could hook it up to speakers and talk to them from work lol

So how long would the dog be on it's own for?

Toulouse wrote: »
    So how long would the dog be on it's own for?

as mentioned earlier very rarely would it be on its own. As I would drop him up to my sisters and her other dogs during the day.

I am trying to address times where that isnt' possible.

• Advertisement

Ah right, sorry.

Again, just make sure that the dog you choose gets on with your sisters dogs. If she has a male staffie then get a female and vice versa.

Check out some of the staffies here http://www.adogslife.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=54 The dogs are boarded in Wexford.

Or more here http://www.irishanimals.ie/boxerstaff_homes.html

Plenty of lovely lovely staffies looking for good homes.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Ah right, sorry.

Again, just make sure that the dog you choose gets on with your sisters dogs. If she has a male staffie then get a female and vice versa.

Check out some of the staffies here http://www.adogslife.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=54 The dogs are boarded in Wexford.

Or more here http://www.irishanimals.ie/boxerstaff_homes.html

Plenty of lovely lovely staffies looking for good homes.

Toulouse nice one!

I think I've found my perfect match in temperment and well all round. Plus Ruby would go well with Rico (staffie im talking about).

Ruby is beautiful looking girl with a personality to match and is about 3.5-4 years old and in very good health. She is completley housetrained and will ask at the door when she needs to go out. Ruby loves toys and the chewier the better. Her favourite game is tug and she also enjoys playing fetch. She loves to chew and must be provided with plenty of appropriate chew toys so that she doesn't choose her own!
    Ruby sleeps all night in her crate without any fuss and her crate training continues. She is improving rapidly. Along with crate training work on alone training continues too and Ruby is improving daily. Once exercised Ruby is happiest flaking out on the sofa beside (or on top of) her favourite person - she actually thinks she is a lap-dog!
    Ruby has all of her basic cues and some tricks too and loves learning and working - she is an extremely trainable dog. Her leash walking is very good and is continuing to improve as she becomes more and more comfortable with urban living. She is calm even when faced with rude dogs barking and lunging at her. She is easily led away by her person without looking for trouble. She alerts to the door but calms quickly and greets everyone she meets with so much affection you would think that she knew them all of her life! Ruby is bomb proof as regards handling and resource guarding and there are no issues here whatsoever.
    Ruby is fine with children but she is a bouncy girl so smaller children will be knocked over. She is not good with small animals e.g. cats, bunnies etc. so she cannot be homed with these pets. Other than that she will fit in brilliantly to any active dog loving home. Ruby would be fine to live with a male companion but we think that she would prefer to have her people all to herself - only-child syndrome!!
    Ruby is the perfect size and type to be someone's running partner so would be perfect for a sporty owner. In fact we think its really important that Ruby have some sort of extra-curricular activity in her new life whether that be jogging, agility or some other activity. Ruby is a special dog - I have never met a dog with such an amazing personality, she is so soft and affectionate. She loves to play and is all about having fun. She is devoted to her people and will make the best companion for someone. There will never be another Ruby so don't miss your chance - get her while you can! Ruby is neutered, fully vax'd and microchipped.

I have met Ruby! She is a lovely girl but does need work on her alone time so may not be the best suited but hey, speak to her fosterer and see what the story is. She has a great trick, you pretend to shoot her and she flops down on her side, dead! :D

There are a few other lovely staffie girls there. Stacy is beautiful too and have heard great things about Yoshi.

OMFG

http://upload.irishanimals.ie/Uploads/127_13-9-10%20018.jpg

If I had a garden, this gorgeous creature would have a spot booked in my house. :(

Ruby is fricken adorable. So gorgeous. Aw I want :(

I know, she's brilliant. Just needs a dog savvy owner willing to put some work into her. I have seen her with her last foster who had to give her up due to health issues and she was the most fantastic pet and super clever.

She even has her own facebook page!

http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Ruby-needs-her-forever-home/114955871885742

what breed of dogs did you have?

I have a Great Dane & a Cocker x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My 2 used to be left on their own from 8am until about 4pm and they were not bothered by it. As I got ready to leave in the morning they would go to their beds and curl up.
    I regularly asked my neighbours if they were barking and they said they never heard a peep from them. The little one used to spend most of her day sitting on my bedside table looking out the window watching the world go by :D

So long as they are getting plenty of exercise, a routine and are well loved dogs are happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

If you are in an apartment/duplex make absolutely sure that dogs are allowed according to the lease rules (and by the lease I mean the long term lease between owners and the management company - ie the 900 years or whatever lease). Even if the rules aren't been enforced at the moment they may be in the future

• Advertisement

Righto I've been doing a lot of prep here...

To all thx for all the advice Toulouse, re Ruby how come she hasn't found a home yet?

My circumstances are changing and I am speaking to the Australian Customs department to find out if I can bring a Ruby or Staffy into Oz. I am going to emmigrate within the next 1-2 years i do not want to get a dog now if i can't bring them with me. Aparantly it shouldn't be a problem, either way any new home I'll have in Perth will be massive compared to my duplex and with a massive yard clos to the beach too. So not only a life style change for me but also for any dog i bring with me.

I am in love with Ruby, but I want to sort out the technical bits before I enquire about giving her a home.

I am a pure dog lover and put it this way Ruby or any other dog would have their own bedroom including bed in the duplex.

I own my own duplex and I am a director of our management company. Pets are allowed though either way :) Plus we ahve a secure gated area with gardens for those 2hr pees or poos lol.

Jasus im getting excited just waiting to hear back from Australian customs about importing a staffy. I ahve to say no other breed is in my mind now, its gona be a staffy.

Advertisement