Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog lover desperately wants a pooch but lives in a duplex / apartment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

seamus wrote: »
    OMFG

http://upload.irishanimals.ie/Uploads/127_13-9-10%20018.jpg

If I had a garden, this gorgeous creature would have a spot booked in my house. :(

wait a min thats not the Ruby I found on the other link you gave me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My circumstances are changing and I am speaking to the Australian Customs department to find out if I can bring a Ruby or Staffy into Oz.

Make sure you check with Oz Dept of Ag too, I know an Oz family that weren't allowed bring their dog back with them despite having brought him over from there because when he was here they gave him the Lepto vaccine. Family devestated

Make sure you check with Oz Dept of Ag too, I know an Oz family that weren't allowed bring their dog back with them despite having brought him over from there because when he was here they gave him the Lepto vaccine. Family devestated

So they took a dog from Oz to here and while here the dog was given a Lepto vaccine which meant they couldn't take him back to Oz when they moved home?

I'll be sure to check that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

So they took a dog from Oz to here and while here the dog was given a Lepto vaccine which meant they couldn't take him back to Oz when they moved home?

Yeah, apparently they dont need to vaccinate for Lepto in Oz so don't want to bring it into the country by way of a vaccinated dog. The family didn't realise that, mind you I dont think they thought they'd have to go back but recession and all that. Anyway they were fully prepared to ship him back with them but then this problem came up. They were in bits handing him into the rescue centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

To start with Ruby is a Pitbull so is quite a bit bigger than your normal staffie size. For an apartment you will need to take that into consideration. It's hard to find good homes for pitbulls and so she's still in rescue. I really don't think she would be a suitable candidate for long haul travel.

And as I said in my previous post she has issues with being left alone and does some work put into her. Again it's hard to find dog savvy people willing to do this and so she's still in rescue.

She is better suited to a home where there is someone around most of the time.

Finding a home for a pitbull who needs a little work done with her is not easy but we know there's someone out there for her as she is ace!

I think you are probably better off waiting until you move to adopt but you really should enquire about fostering. It's much easier to rehome dogs that have been living in a home environment. Most of the A Dog's Life dogs would be available for foster.

• Advertisement

Toulouse wrote: »
    To start with Ruby is a Pitbull so is quite a bit bigger than your normal staffie size. For an apartment you will need to take that into consideration. It's hard to find good homes for pitbulls and so she's still in rescue. I really don't think she would be a suitable candidate for long haul travel.

And as I said in my previous post she has issues with being left alone and does some work put into her. Again it's hard to find dog savvy people willing to do this and so she's still in rescue.

She is better suited to a home where there is someone around most of the time.

Finding a home for a pitbull who needs a little work done with her is not easy but we know there's someone out there for her as she is ace!

I think you are probably better off waiting until you move to adopt but you really should enquire about fostering. It's much easier to rehome dogs that have been living in a home environment. Most of the A Dog's Life dogs would be available for foster.

Well Ruby is off the cards if she is a pitbull, they aren't allowed into Australia :( a staffie yes pitbull no :(

ah well.

Thx for the advice I really appreciate everyones input to date, its been great and has really helped me decide on what to do.

Cheers

Advertisement