Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfort out and marquardt in

• 22-09-2010 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Vitor belfort has pulled out of the okami fight at ufc 122, and nate marquardt will now fight okami.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Ah crap, was lookin forward to see him fight again, Any reasons given?
    I wonder does it have anything to do with fighting anderson silva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Is there a link for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

An injury has forced Vitor Belfort out of his UFC 122 main event fight against Yushin Okami in Germany. In to replace Belfort will be Nate Marquardt, who just picked up a TKO win over Rousimar Palhares at UFC Fight Night 22.

Marquardt's placement in the fight was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the bout, who stated the fight has been signed for the new main event at UFC 122.

Bouncing back strong from his loss to Chael Sonnen in February, Marquardt made short work of Palhares in their fight last Wednesday night in Austin, Texas.

Following a leg lock attempt from Palhares early in the first round, Marquardt hammered the Brazilian with a punch that rattled him, and then proceeded to finish the fight just seconds later, getting the win at 3:28 into the bout.

The win was Marquardt's ninth in the UFC. The Colorado fighter had stated he hoped to get another fight sooner rather than later following the victory. It looks like he got his wish.

There has been no official word about the injury sustained by Belfort, but MMAWeekly.com will continue to follow the news and provide an update when more information is available.

The bout between Marquardt and Okami will headline UFC 122 in Germany, which will air via tape delay in the United States on Spike TV.

Prior to the change, the fight between Okami and Belfort was to determine a new No. 1 contender to the middleweight title. In all likelihood, the fight between Okami and Marquardt would carry the same stipulation.
    Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

What does everyone think about this? Im a bit disappointed to be honest, Marqaurdt is not my favourite fighter out there I find him very boring to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Really?Cant say ive ever found Nate boring.
    Especially when he goes Tekken on someone :pac:

Go to 4:17

I am disappointed about no vitor though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Dana tweeted that Vitor is not injured, Belfort V Silva in the works maybe? Also UFC 122 looks like a fairly poor card now doesnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This is complete and utter bollox and yet ANOTHER example of the way UFC/Zuffa are treating the Euro fans.

How coincendental that the injury is announced 2 days AFTER tickets went on sale (Similar to the Chuck v Shogun fight were they advertised knowing full well he was injured)

Sonnen's out of a re-match with Silva so pull Vitor and slot him in for a January fight wit Silva.

I'm really beginning to lose my patience wit UFC, i used to look forward to events, every 6/8 weeks, now it seems like every 2/3 weeks and they just don't seem as attractive.

Another thing that gets me is the fans, all they do is moan moan moan about weak cards, then as soon as the presale is on they go and buy tickets, even if no fights have been announced (95 i think) then moan some more when the card is crap. I've been to 6 UFC events now, but with flights, hotels, tickets and spends for me and my wife it's just too costly to shell out until i know exactly what i'm getting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Niall0 wrote: »
    Dana tweeted that Vitor is not injured, Belfort V Silva in the works maybe? Also UFC 122 looks like a fairly poor card now doesnt it?

Strange, Dana has always said that if a fighter got injured he would never take another fighter from another card to make the fight, seems like he's told so many lies he's forgetting them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Did anyone honestly expect this not to happen. Vitor is next in line after Chael and is getting his crack at Anderson sooner.

BTW; relating to the Okami / Marquardt fight. Who ever wins will get Anderson in their next fight. Who ever loses should get Maia (if he beats Grove).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Dana's said that it's Belfort vs Silva

Still not sure how Belfort is next in line, seeing as he hasn't won any middleweight fights in the UFC. I guess he just hasn't lost any either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Its by far the most marketable fight they can make! Its just business, not supposed to be a reflection of the fighter that most deserves the title shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I personally think this will make for an equally good fight.

Advertisement