Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche staff, raising voices at children?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

My first post here, I am living beside a private creche (no names) that is basically a bIg home that is turned into a creche, the grounds are well maintained and general area is kept clean & tidy.

The issue is every day around this time, they (staff) let the kids out the back to play, the kids are not in school so i reckon around 2-3 years of age, when I open my windows I can hear the staff screaming at the kids on a daily basis, although i understand disipline has to be maintained and rules kept, I feel that the staff are either not well trained or simply just take advantage knowing the parents are at work etc...

I am a father of a 5 year old boy and I am in no way a busy body or nosy neighbour, I simply just get upset when I hear them shouting at the kids :( now just to balance it out they don't scream all the time but it is more often the case unfortunately.

1) Is this normal behavouir to shout at kids in creche?

2) Is there anything I can do about it?

3) Has anyone else experienced this??

Regards

AB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I live around the corner from a private creche and the kids are let out to play on the creche grounds. I have never ever heard anything like what you are describing.

I would call the HSC and express my concerns. Even private creches are subject to standards of behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭about blank

Yes, I agree it is not appropriate, we were actually going to put our son in there after school but we decided to go elsewhere...

I'm still hesitant to make a complainant as I am not sure if it warrant any investigation...

It could be just me overreacting :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yes, I agree it is not appropriate, we were actually going to put our son in there after school but we decided to go elsewhere...

I'm still hesitant to make a complainant as I am not sure if it warrant any investigation...

It could be just me overreacting :o

Well maybe don't make a formal complaint. You know, you could call parentline or childline or HSC and sound them out first.

Well maybe don't make a formal complaint. You know, you could call parentline or childline or HSC and sound them out first.

Yes I agree, I think I will do that :)

It is a big worry for parents when you leave your child in someone else's care for the day that they will be treated okay.

I will source the number and maybe just het some advice,

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

In what way are they shouting? Are they just being loud to be heard or are they screaming at them for discipline or shouting bad things to them.

In my daughters creche the volume levels can be quite high and often the minders have to shout but it's just to be heard. For example there's a big difference between shouting "you're dinner's ready" and "thats bold, you're so bold, nobody will want to play with you" etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My mum works in a crèche and would never in a million years yell at the kids. You need a huge amount of patience and a lot of training to be able to work effectively in such a job.

If you think it is bad enough, make a complaint to the local HSE office about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

Definitely make a complaint, parents trust this creche to take care of their kids and pay the staff to care for them not scream and shout at them.

As a previous poster said creche staff have to train to care for kids and maybe this creche has un experienced staff employed. I'm sure they don't shout at the kids in the morning time or evening time when parents are due to drop off or pick up their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Does nobody else think that the thread title is a bit OTT and inflammatory? The staff are shouting at the kids, not abusing them! What kind of things are they shouting at them? Do you hear the kids crying?

I'd really make sure I was 100% certain that there is something dodgy going on before destroying someone's livelihood. Perhaps, you could actually speak to the créche owner about the noise or one of the workers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

deemark wrote: »
    Does nobody else think that the thread title is a bit OTT and inflammatory? The staff are shouting at the kids, not abusing them! What kind of things are they shouting at them? Do you hear the kids crying?

I'd really make sure I was 100% certain that there is something dodgy going on before destroying someone's livelihood. Perhaps, you could actually speak to the créche owner about the noise or one of the workers first.
    It is a bit really over the top. OP should put up what was shouted in the verbal sense. I.e. what were they shouting at the kids over raised voices that possibly annoyed a potential contrary person.

I too think it's a bit inflammatory and am really intrigued as to what is being "shouted".

I've often been in the room when the minder has raised her voice and called at the kids that it's time to clear up or whatever.
    And when I arrive at pick up time, and my kid is across the yard they'll shout her name and tell her I've arrived.

If it's just that then I wouldn't consider it abusive at all.

If they're screaming at them into their faces or something thats a totally different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement

The owner of the creche does be out the back with the staff talking when kids are outside, it seems they are too busy chatting and when a child may wonder off they shout at the kid as if it was the kids fault.

Just to clarify:

Yes they do shout at the kids things like: david get back here, don't do that, thats bold etc...

Yes the kids do cry (hence my being able to hear them)

I do not know if they (staff) may give the kids a tap on the bottom or hand or something for being naughty, but it sure does sound like it by the way the kids cry..

Just to clarify:

Yes they do shout at the kids things like: david get back here, don't do that, thats bold etc...

I do not know if they (staff) may give the kids a tap on the bottom or hand or something for being naughty, but it sure does sound like it by the way the kids cry..

Woah there! It's a HUGE jump to go from them raising their voices in order to tell a child not to do something and a child being hit and without seeing anything, you're making a REALLY serious accusation there!

sorry just to add, I understand when its time to clean up or get ready for home then to raise the voice a little to get attention, I believe this to be different, everyday it is the same thing!

I will wait again today to hear the same stuff, imo the staff are not calm enough to control the kids

The owner of the creche does be out the back with the staff talking when kids are outside, it seems they are too busy chatting and when a child may wonder off they shout at the kid as if it was the kids fault.

Just to clarify:

I clearly stated here that I did not know if that is the case, as far as accusations I do not think it is what I said.

Now if i said :

they MUST be hitting the kids.......

I clearly stated here that I did not know if that is the case, as far as accusations I do not think it is what I said.

Now if i said :

Still though, between the thread title and saying it sounds like the kids are being hit, you have the potential to bring a business to its knees.
    If I heard a rumour about a creche abusing and possibly hitting kids (even if it was unfounded) I wouldn't risk putting my child in there. All it take is a rumour and you'll have them ruined.

By all means be concerned and observe furthur but I'd be very careful about voicing an assumption like that with the potential damage it could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Now if i said :

Agree w/ ash23. Get some visual evidence before you go doing anything. What is heard only & what actually happens may not be the same thing.

And, out of fairness to ash23's criticism, you may have started your comment with "I do not know," but you ended it with "it sure does sound like it." That implies that you are actually accusing them. Get proof first.

If the staff aren't doing anything but yelling/raising their voices, perhaps a comment to the manager of the creche could be more in order than a report to the HSE.

ash23 wrote: »
    Still though, between the thread title and saying it sounds like the kids are being hit, you have the potential to bring a business to its knees.
    If I heard a rumour about a creche abusing and possibly hitting kids (even if it was unfounded) I wouldn't risk putting my child in there. All it take is a rumour and you'll have them ruined.

By all means be concerned and observe furthur but I'd be very careful about voicing an assumption like that with the potential damage it could do.

Of course I would never mention anything without facts to other parents, but if it is true then those responsible should be dealt with, if that means better training or courses etc... then so be it.

If it is all just innocent (which i am not convinced of yet) then no need to bring any further.

Ayla wrote: »
    Agree w/ ash23. Get some visual evidence before you go doing anything. What is heard only & what actually happens may not be the same thing.

And, out of fairness to ash23's criticism, you may have started your comment with "I do not know," but you ended it with "it sure does sound like it." That implies that you are actually accusing them. Get proof first.

If the staff aren't doing anything but yelling/raising their voices, perhaps a comment to the manager of the creche could be more in order than a report to the HSE.

How would you do that?

Why should I have to mention anything at all to the mananger?? she is out there with them! as a previous poster mentioned, they do not shout at the kids when parents arrive to pick them up/drop them off.. I can hear as my house is the only one directly adjacent to the yard in which they play....

I am not accusing anyone, merely making an assumption the imo the kids crying is that similar to being giving a little smack for being 'naughty'

If i am wrong then everythings fine and no need for a report etc,,, but what happens if it was true? would you like your child to be treated in that manner? after all what 2 year old is going to come home and tell you about what happend today at creche....

[/B]

How would you do that?

Why should I have to mention anything at all to the mananger?? she is out there with them! as a previous poster mentioned, they do not shout at the kids when parents arrive to pick them up/drop them off.. I can hear as my house is the only one directly adjacent to the yard in which they play....

Well, I suppose I'm just the type that if I honestly thought there was something to be concerned about, I would go right in & stick my nose over the fence & watch for a bit. If the staff questioned me, I'd play it off as me being someone who likes to watch children play (in a non-threatening, non-creepy way), or if I had kids myself, I'd make it seem like I'm just checking the facilities out to see if it'd be suitable as a possible creche venue.

And it may be understandable that the staff wouldn't holler when parents are there. There's a lot of activity (and distraction) at those particular times, but ironically also a focus (i.e.: either getting everyone in or everyone out). That's different than general playtime when the kids are all over the place.

My point is, unless you know what's *really* happening it's not fair to go making assumptions. Are the staff members sticking their faces down in the childrens' and then hollering at them? Are they gesturing wildly or looking angry? Are they cursing or being overly aggressive? What exactly do they say - and how?

Kids can cry for any reason - even if the staff were to be whispering & saying "please come away from the fence" kids could cry because they're being told they can't do what they want. So how're the kids crying? Are they unreconciled sobs that the staff ignore? Do the kids play happily a minute later?

There is a lot of detail missing from your story, which is why I've erred on the cautious side. Get proof before potentially causing irrepairable damage to the facility.

Ayla wrote: »
    Well, I suppose I'm just the type that if I honestly thought there was something to be concerned about, I would go right in & stick my nose over the fence & watch for a bit. If the staff questioned me, I'd play it off as me being someone who likes to watch children play (in a non-threatening, non-creepy way), or if I had kids myself, I'd make it seem like I'm just checking the facilities out to see if it'd be suitable as a possible creche venue.

If i was to stick my nose over the fence (me being a male an all) i think the guards would be called for me being a peeping tom! :rolleyes:

And it may be understandable that the staff wouldn't holler when parents are there. There's a lot of activity (and distraction) at those particular times, but ironically also a focus (i.e.: either getting everyone in or everyone out). That's different than general playtime when the kids are all over the place.

My point is, unless you know what's *really* happening it's not fair to go making assumptions. Are the staff members sticking their faces down in the childrens' and then hollering at them? Are they gesturing wildly or looking angry? Are they cursing or being overly aggressive? What exactly do they say - and how?

Kids can cry for any reason - even if the staff were to be whispering & saying "please come away from the fence" kids could cry because they're being told they can't do what they want. So how're the kids crying? Are they unreconciled sobs that the staff ignore? Do the kids play happily a minute later?

There is a lot of detail missing from your story, which is why I've erred on the cautious side. Get proof before potentially causing irrepairable damage to the facility.

again to clarify, they raise their voices in such a manner to which I would not do the my son to be honest, there is no need for it, if a child is naughty i'm sure there is procedures to adhere to and in place.

I have been into the facility myself as I was going to put my son there, but I am glad i did not, I don't think the staff are evil or something, just not well trained or calm enough. Everyone know's you must have a high level of patience and calmness when working with children (or adults in some cases)

Short of recording the noise with a tape recorder in the bush i'm not sure how I can prove any negligence on the part of the creche.

If in doubt, speak out, is my motto ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would give the HSC a call and tell them that you are concerned. If the crèche has nothing to guide they shouldn't mind being inspected and if there is something the Hsc can put a stop to it.

It is better to make that phone call and risk it being an over reaction, rather than sitting back and doing nothing and hear of kids being verbally abused or worse.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I would give the HSC a call and tell them that you are concerned. If the crèche has nothing to guide they shouldn't mind being inspected and if there is something the Hsc can put a stop to it.

It is better to make that phone call and risk it being an over reaction, rather than sitting back and doing nothing and hear of kids being verbally abused or worse.

I see your points, but here's mine: if the OP calls HSC, what're they going to ask? They're going to ask the OP what *exactly* he/she hears & sees. Not what he/she "thinks" may be going on - or his/her opinion of his/her observations, but what factual evidence there is.

So far, the only concrete thing the OP has said is that "they do shout at the kids things like: david get back here, don't do that, thats bold etc..." To me, that doesn't sound like abuse...that's why I've suggested the OP provide more details and/or get more facts before approaching the HSC.

Advertisement