Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb questions-Air vents

• 22-09-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Ive just moved into my house and have a couple of questions
    1)The present vents are old and mould has built up so im getting rid of them.Are ALL AIr vents a standard size in houses?Just asking as i want to bring measurements with me to get new ones.
    2)where is the best palce to buy them?
    3)The ones i have now are not good at keeping noise out.Can you put something in the vent hole to filter out noise?
    4)I read about open/shut vents would these help with the problem?

thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

davmol wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

1)The present vents are old and mould has built up so im getting rid of them.Are ALL AIr vents a standard size in houses?Just asking as i want to bring measurements with me to get new ones.
    Not necessarily. Bring the old one with you, might be easier
    2)where is the best palce to buy them?
    Brooks or any builders provider
    3)The ones i have now are not good at keeping noise out.Can you put something in the vent hole to filter out noise?
    Not really. If something blocks the noise, it will block the free movement of air
    4)I read about open/shut vents would these help with the problem?
    Help the mould, no won't make any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

1)The present vents are old and mould has built up so im getting rid of them.

How come you have mould on air vents?
    Good Ventilation prevents mould growth. Are the vents shut or blocked all the time?

There are vents the have a little shut of gate inside, these prevent stront winds entering the room. There are vents that help to lessen noise pollution. Google a few vent manufacturers. (I'll PM if I can find a link)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

RKQ wrote: »
    How come you have mould on air vents?
    Good Ventilation prevents mould growth. Are the vents shut or blocked all the time?

There are vents the have a little shut of gate inside, these prevent stront winds entering the room. There are vents that help to lessen noise pollution. Google a few vent manufacturers. (I'll PM if I can find a link)

thanks for that.
    The people who lived in teh house previously never left windows open and had the vents shut tight so mould built up on them.They were painted over and the slits couldnt be opened.cheers for the link ill have a look

Advertisement