Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar work question

Options
  • 22-09-2010 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey all
    Was just wondering what the craic is w/ bar work. I've heard that you have to do some sort of test/course before you can work in a bar, but when I googled this I found nothing. Is it true or has someone been taking the piss!??
    Cheers xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

True bill, you should have googled RSA
    (Responsible Service of Alcohol)

Its a full day course gonna cost you about $90

You probably need the RSG as well if you are going work in a bar with TAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

As mandrake said.

Funny heard a few guys on the bus taking about it the other day. One reckon they had the course pass certs printed off before it even started.

BTW the TAB is the tote here for betting. nearly all hotels (pubs) have them as there are no bookie shops allowed apart from TAB shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

myhorse wrote: »

BTW the TAB is the tote here for betting. nearly all hotels (pubs) have them as there are no bookie shops allowed apart from TAB shops.
    What do you man there are no bookie shops allowed?
    TAB are bookies, its just that there is no speculative betting offered, only tote,

Mellor wrote: »
    What do you man there are no bookie shops allowed?
    TAB are bookies, its just that there is no speculative betting offered, only tote,

tote and bookmakers are totally different beasts in every way (except the punter always loses).

Normal TAB betting on gallops, dogs or the hots (trots) is just a lucky dip in regard to what you may get in returns. have a ton on a $5.60 shot - it wins and you find out it pays $2.10 (or it could pay $10..). Major punters only bet with the on track books or the corporate websites. (except for the biggest punter the world has ever seen....he's an aussie and more or less controls the tab returns...see if google is your friend :-))

If corporates were allowed have a street presence the TAB would be dead in 5 years.

tote and bookmakers are totally different beasts in every way (except the punter always loses).

Obviously they are different. to anyobdy with any sot of interest in gambling or actually trying to win at the game. But this doesn't apply to most Irish punters now does it. Which was my point.

I'm also aware of how, why and the fact that tote price frequently varies by the off, but thanks for that anyway. The bigger area for losing value in tote is the likes of trios and exactas in less backed markets imo.

Seeing as you mentioned it, I know who you refer to by biggest punter. Fiqures i've quoted are $1bil turn over annually, half of which is on australian tote, about 5% of the market.

• Advertisement

Obviously they are different. to anyobdy with any sot of interest in gambling or actually trying to win at the game. But this doesn't apply to most Irish punters now does it. Which was my point.

I'm also aware of how, why and the fact that tote price frequently varies by the off, but thanks for that anyway. The bigger area for losing value in tote is the likes of trios and exactas in less backed markets imo.

Seeing as you mentioned it, I know who you refer to by biggest punter. Fiqures i've quoted are $1bil turn over annually, half of which is on australian tote, about 5% of the market.

I will be pedantic. I did say originally there was no bookie shops apart from TAB shops. Therefore I wasnt saying no bookie shops (the "apart" from bit).
    I stand by the statement they are totally different beasts as thats undisputable.

*****warning boring bit coming up*****

the chap in questions info is out there hence the google remark. Especially since the telegraph article a few months back. (guess what "bookie's" he supposedly owns more or less outright with his art buddy and mystery person no 3 which has a global presence and reguarly advertise on UK racing?).

The man who taught him / influenced him is even more interesting. All part of the old AW/BB crew from the late 80's/early 90's before they went their seperate ways and operated individually. only three of them made it pay mega time. Nobody else has been able to replicate their success or probably will for a number of reasons.
    Some very serious investors, including a high profile bookmaker, have paid fortunes trying to figure out their system but failed.
    The current man is amazing in whats he has done but the "original" was truely groundbreaking. I would go so far as to say a genius. He admitted that the current guy is unreal and taken it to the next level but he was the first. Again the info is out there but some of the water gets a bit muddied along the way so beware the path you choose:-)

I think you are wrong regarding the exotics. Potenially thats one of the few places there is value on the TAB as it can be way overbet especially on the big Saturdays and during carnival time with the mug money and thats the money you need in the pool.

Anyways I think the OP probably has the info they requested :-). (but would be delighted to partake in any punting related thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ardsbeg

Back to the thread.

Was lookin to do RSA course on-line but it now says that a seperate course is needed in New South Wales(Sydney)..havin problems accessing the course via Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing

Can anyone send me the weblink Cheers

I think you are wrong regarding the exotics. Potenially thats one of the few places there is value on the TAB as it can be way overbet especially on the big Saturdays and during carnival time with the mug money and thats the money you need in the pool.
    Check my post again, i never said there was no value there, what i said was;
    The bigger area for losing value in tote is the likes of trios and exactas in less backed markets imo.
    Which i stand by, even if you have a massive edge in a paticular race/meet, its no good to you if there is nothing in the pool. The mid-week prices can be really terrible for some of the trios etc.

If you want to start a punting thread i'll gladly join in, with the 2nd nov around the corner, might be a good idea

Advertisement