Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it aint nailed down...

Options
  • 22-09-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Parked and locked my bike to a railing close to the bus stop at the bottom of Charlesland, arrived back to find the two wheels were gone. These were not quick release wheels and the brake cables were cut so whoever nicked them had to be carrying tools to do it.

Just a warning to other residents who might be naive enough (like me) to think it is safe to lock your bike in the area.

I have left the frame locked to the railings as I had to go to work (some of us actually work to acquire our possessions), so if anyone else wants to help themselves to another part of my bike then be my guest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

What size is the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

It's been mentioned before, but it's worth mentioning again...
    You shouldn't name names like you have when you have no proof as to who took your wheels.

I'm not trying to make this thread into a "it was definitely 'someone' from 'somewhere'" thread but you should edit your post all the same.

As for the situation, sorry to hear about it. Report it to the police. Not a huge amount more that you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

baaaa wrote: »
    What size is the frame?

Not sure of the frame size, it's an adult bike.

D31boy, a Garda has told me that youths from over there are coming over to this estate breaking into houses, I have witnessed them myself breaking into an empty house (proposed creche) in Charlesland Court and smashing the place up. I have seen youths from across the stream snapping trees in half in our green areas. Young lads from over there took my son's scooter from our front garden and threw it on a fire on the other side of the stream.

I am not going to pander to the PC brigade, as far as I am concerned the most probable explanation to the wheels being missing off my bike is that someone from over there stole them and walked across the field to their house with them. If the mods want to edit my post that's fine but I am not changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

sorry to hear that. While not pointing any fingers either(enough of that on other threads!) everyone should be aware that there are regular drive thrus by cars and vans, which are most likely casing the area for easy pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Wineman wrote: »
    D31boy, a Garda has told me that youths from over there are coming over to this estate breaking into houses, I have witnessed them myself breaking into an empty house (proposed creche) in Charlesland Court and smashing the place up. I have seen youths from across the stream snapping trees in half in our green areas. Young lads from over there took my son's scooter from our front garden and threw it on a fire on the other side of the stream.

I never said that I thought you were wrong or right about your assumptions (or that I disagree for that matter), nor that there aren't some miscreants that do cause problems. I knew some people that lived there a while ago and it can get tiring being painted with the same brush all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 essentialjc

Yeah had my bike nickd from outside Eugenes - was also locked via a serious lock - mustve had cutters to get thru it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the only locks worth a damn are high-end U-locks like Kryptonite or Abus. Cable and chain locks can generally be cut by a long-handled bolt cutters, even U-locks can be popped with a mini-jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

Well, this won't make any of the you feel any better, but you might laugh.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up my wife's bike from outside the DART station and had cycled up the road a bit when the back wheel came off while I was on the main road at Killincarrig. Someone had obviously started to unscrew it (as the bike was well locked up) and either gave up or was disturbed. There no damage done to me (although the wheel buckled as it came out). So, instead of losing wheels I'd to carry the bloody thing home (a good mile or so). Between trying to fix it (unsuccessfully, allow I did end up covered in grease and oil from the chain) and the walk home a five minute spin took well over an hour. We did get it fixed a few days later, though. Oh, I should have mentioned - it was my birthday.

So, at least your wheels were gone... (ahem)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Should lobby councillors for CCTV overlooking the bike rack at the DART station. Have heard far too many stories of bikes going walkabouts there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Why not lobby for rent-a-bike scheme in Greystones, with a drop off/pick up point at the station and in Charlesland.

FYI - most household insurance covers bikes and please ensure you inform the cycle to work scheme if you are no longer cycling, as this is tax payers money!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement