Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What counties received snow on Christmas Day 2009?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Forgive me if this has already been asked but I don't want to trawl through all the threads.

I thought that most counties had a white Christmas but reading through recent posts it seemed most didn't.

I was in County Sligo on Christmas Day 2009 and we had a proper white Christmas - inches of snow and "100% snow" showers that day.

Care to share what you got?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

No snow in West Dublin xmas day. The first snow event i remember was new years eve 2009/early morning new years day 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Had snow before Christmas which put a thick sheet of ice everywhere, on Christmas day it was sleet then rain, which froze to the ground.

We had a few white Christmas's here in the past, it was nice to get a break as it brought slighly milder weather before the big freeze returned a few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Letterkenny Donegal had snow Christmas day....quite a blizzard as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Only rain, not even sleet

can't remember but I'm sure it would have been snow up in the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

furtzy wrote: »
    Letterkenny Donegal had snow Christmas day....quite a blizzard as well

picture434l.jpg
    4 pm Christmas Day.. Carrickcrieve, Letterkenny ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Heavy snow in Killybegs on Christmas Day :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

We had some light frozen snow in patches from previous days. The thing I remember was how cold it was Christmas morning. -9C at minimum with some fog. Then there was that freezing rain later that day falling on frozen ground. The roads were absolutely lethal that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We had ice pellets which froze on impact. I just couldn't believe it that at -5c, with a stiff easterly breeze, it wasn't snowing. I thought it would at least start off as snow, then once the wind backed to the west it would turn to rain.

irish1967 wrote: »
    picture434l.jpg
    4 pm Christmas Day.. Carrickcrieve, Letterkenny ! :)

awesome photo. me is very jealous:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Freezing rain in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

OK, so far we've had snow in much of Donegal, some Sligo, freezing rain in eastern parts - Kilkenny, Westmeath, Waterford, Wicklow
    Nothing in West Dublin
    Nacho are you in Mayo? If so, then it just seems like the North west got the snow??

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

None in Fermanagh either, very cold though, which was nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well for me there was a light covering of snow on christmas morning that fell a few nights before so technically I had a white christmas however no snow fell, it was actually raining despite the low temperatures, and everything thawed in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

God its dark at 4pm, i forgot how dark it gets in the winter:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

It snowed here in North west Galway, started as ice rain, then at 10 am it started snowing. I was shocked seemed like a very localised event. Only made an inch or so, enough to make it a white christmas :D

OK, so far we've had snow in much of Donegal, some Sligo, freezing rain in eastern parts - Kilkenny, Westmeath, Waterford, Wicklow
    Nothing in West Dublin
    Nacho are you in Mayo? If so, then it just seems like the North west got the snow??

Yes. It seems Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal got most of the snow that day.
    Well the northwest, particularly Dongeal, is always favourite in any borderline situation like that to get the snow. Although given how unusually cold it was beforehand i thought for once the maritime air would not ruin things.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Greencastle, Co.Donegal. Early morning everything was covered in hoar frost. Blue skies and freezing cold. Snow started to fall in the afternoon. Quite a build up by night time. Roads trecherous etc. Not bad for a coastal location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

We had a white Christmas here in West Mayo started snowing heavily late morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Co. Kilkenny had a fair bit of snow between Piltown and Knocktopher - if any of ye know the road. I was driving to carlow for dinner - roads were very tricky.

snow ghost wrote: »
    We had a white Christmas here in West Mayo started snowing heavily late morning.

if memory serves me correctly you live in Westport? If so it's very hard to understand how you got snow. I'm not accusing you of lying:), it's just hard to understand how you being so close to the Atlantic got snow and places futher inland didn't.

• Advertisement

if memory serves me correctly you live in Westport? If so it's very hard to understand how you got snow. I'm not accusing you of lying:), it's just hard to understand how you being so close to the Atlantic got snow and places futher inland didn't.

I know what you're saying Nacho - until this thread I presumed most of the rest of the county got it too on Christmas day. I believe they did not too far from you. I'll post a pic when my flickr account is reactivated. But yeah believe me it snowed heavily - I got stuck in the car on a hill. That said closer to the Atlantic - murrisk under the reek - it was sloppy sleet that didn't settle, that was the dividing line. Maybe Westport is just that bit far enough away.

Nacho,

Christmas day snow just as it started here in Westport:
    PICT0773.jpg

Check out this link to christmas day 2009 pics from around the country - see kilmovee mayo one Nacho.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1225/snowchance_gallery.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

awesome photo. me is very jealous:p

Ah nacho .. But remember. That was before my dam snow shield kicked in. Remember the days when it fecking stopped at the border !! Grrrrr :)

snow ghost wrote: »
    Nacho,

Christmas day snow just as it started here in Westport:
    PICT0773.jpg

Thanks a lot snow ghost for this photo and the other link. Heavy snow like that on Christmas day is something to cherish for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

No snow in Galway last Christmas but I do remember the white Christmas Day of 2004 in Mervue. The reason I remember this is because I was working that day! :(

128650.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

It snowed a small bit in Monaghan iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Longford was white from one end to the next! In fact, it snowed or froze over non-stop from a week before Christmas to a week after new years! It gets tiring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

We had snow in SE Mayo, but if i remember rightly it then turned to rain later in the day, which froze on the roads like ive never seen, forming about 4-5cm's of pure ice which lasted about 6 weeks or so as the road outside my house doesnt get any sun in the winter! Ive got pictures somewhere of the think ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

95% certain no snow fell on Christmas Day in Louth. I'd be fairly certain on Co. Meath but that's obviously a much larger area and a shower may have dumped a bit around Oldcastle etc.

Advertisement