Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up network

Options
  • 22-09-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭

Hi all , need a bit of advice, (i have just added the vodafone router)

at the moment the d-link set up as dhcp enabled.

should i change it to disabled, and also change the range in the vodafone one?

the voda one is set as 192.168.1.1 while i have the d-link on 192.168.15.1.

or is there a better way of setting it up ?

C2174EFA7CE94435BDAC1561FA0FB112-0000336223-0001934099-01024L-5599CD806E4B48B29D31710DF3B6B971.jpg

Thanks
    JOhn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

if you are trying to setup the router to act as a access point, then you need to disable the dhcp and assign ip address on the same range of the other router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

so if i disable the dlink (switch off dhcp) would i need to change the settings of the voda one ? so that the range is what the d link was?

i am guessing that the router which connecting to the internet is the vodafone one, and the dlink was a router and wanted to be as an access point, so if you disabled the dhco in the dlink and assigned a static ip address to the dlink to the same range of the vodafone 192.168.1.x then you have nothing to do with the vodafone router, as it will detect the dlink and provide connection automatically :)

right , after faffing around for ages i have made a right mess of things!

current status is everything connected to vodafone router (linksys wireless, pc, nas,and dlink )

running fine except i cant "see" the dlink or linksys settings on the network .

(i cant access the config page of the routers) and they are not listed in the mcafee network list, so i have not got an ip address for them .

hope this makes sense. :confused:

is there a way of finding out the ip that has been assigned?

i have tried ipconfig

and pinging the next in sequence but no joy.

i know the linkys wireless is working as my laptop is connecting through it.
    thanks
    J

as you mentioned you can access the linksys via wireless, so to access the linksys router page, use default gateway that showing in the ipconfig.

for the dlink, it would be a bit tricky, as the vodafone assigned the ip address for your dlink AP. the only way to find out, is take a note of every ip address that connected in the whole network. then access the vodafone router page and check the connected device, then you will be able to eliminate the ip addresses that you are using, other than it will be a little complicated to find the ip, although i dunno why would you need the ip address, its only AP or bridge, not much of configuration needed :)

• Advertisement

the ipconfig/all does not show the linksys! (from the PC) all it shows is vodafone ip

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **-**-**-**-**-**
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

how do i find everything connect to the network? :o

i want to be able to adjust the voip from the dlink (sip device)

as the laptop connected to the linksys, try ping the PC or NAS as they are connected to the dlink from vodafone, and it seems that the link sys and the dlink working perfectly in this case as they are picking up the vodafone router ip

right, after a bit more testing and pinging, with nothing connected to the dlink.

I am can ping the nas and pc from the laptop, i can do a trace from the laptop to the vodafone but only shows 2 addresses.
    also works back, from pc to laptop.

(one for laptop and one for vodafone) the same for the nas..

the laptop is running ubuntu)

i presume your laptop is connected to the linksys, and the linksys is connected to the vodafone router without using the dlink?? right?

yes , i think the dlink may have bitten the dust.

too much switching on and off. (although all the led's on the front work correctly)

anyway i still cant get into the setup of the linksys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

http://www.angryip.org/w/Home

It will let you find active IPs on your network segment.

computer says no! :D
    The packages below are not authenticated and could therefore be of malicious nature.

is it safe ?

well ran the angry ip program and it does not detect the wireless router.

just the laptop and the vodafone router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I presume you ran the scan from X.X.X.1 - X.X.X.254 ? If the wireless router isn't showing up then it is not in the same IP subnet as the other devices and you will need to manually set the lan side IP of the router to one that is in the same subnet (make sure you are connecting to a LAN port not the WAN port on the router as this device is not intended to route traffic if I am understanding what you want to achieve)

If you know how adjust the DHCP address pool to allow you to have a few address outside its scope so that you can use them for the devices that need manual addresses, eg shift the start of the pool from X.X.X.2 to X.X.X.10 as this will give you room for 9 static IPs.

There is an admin login for the Vodafone modems that opens up a very detailed config setup but for now just use the standard vodafone:vodafone login.

Advertisement