Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hope to get advice before I make an offer on this house

• 22-09-2010 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/26-st-laurence-s-park-stillorgan-co-dublin/218469

hi,everbody
    this is the house my family found, asking price for 320k after price reduced, i dont know the former price they asked, i just like the location-- beside stillorgan shopping centre, seem in old style and decor, i would like give offer for 280k, anybody can give some advice?

EA removed pictures this morning after i call for appointment to view the house, dont hnow why?

very appreciate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Irish Property Watch has it at €480,000 - (Price on 2009-10-17) so it's on the market at least a year if that's accurate (and what an appalling price)

Reeks of rental (students or first job types) and looks like it needs a fair bit of cosmetic work at best. Only one toilet, and no bath, which you really do need with small kids. It's a very, very ordinary looking house. 280k opening offer is on the high side - in any case, how do you know how much you want to offer without having seen it?

See what the agent says when you go to view (and do ask if it was a rental) - last property I viewed with DNG the agent started with the "it's open to offers" speech the second I walked in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

EA removed pictures this morning after i call for appointment to view the house, dont hnow why?
    Pictures are still there. A very small bathroom indeed. Looks almost like an afterthought.

Also, I'd try to get a viewing late in the evening, preferably when Eastenders or Corrie is on, to see how much noise comes through those walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

the_syco wrote: »
    Pictures are still there. A very small bathroom indeed. Looks almost like an afterthought.

Also, I'd try to get a viewing late in the evening, preferably when Eastenders or Corrie is on, to see how much noise comes through those walls.

Is it me or do those pictures look stretched ?

I would not be worried so much about the noise coming through as they are old and better build quality than modern paper thin walls.

As lainey316 mentions no bath is a huge problem long term, particularly with kids.
    That bathroom is tiny (Shower room 2.22 x 1.37 (7`3``x 4`6``) ) so bad that door opens out so might have to take out chunk of bedroom to make proper bathroom.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭mckildare

I don't think that house is worth anywhere near 320k, or 280k! If you wait a few months or a year that price will drop dramatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That house is in a state in fairness. I can't see it selling for the asking price. If you are prepared to wait then please do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In fairness I know very little about the house buyers market at the moment and even I can see that house is worth nothing like what they are asking for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

You'd have to be mad to pay anything close to that price for that house!
    Divide by two and you have a more realistic figure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jmayo wrote: »
    Is it me or do those pictures look stretched ?
    I think the effect is due to the lense used, to get more of the room into the picture.
    I would not be worried so much about the noise coming through as they are old and better build quality than modern paper thin walls.
    Sorry, but that's bull, and I mean that in the nicest way. Alot of houses built before the boom had paper thin walls, or have had massive problems regarding sound. It's just in boom years when you were paying through your nose for the place that people copped onto how bad it was.
    That bathroom is tiny (Shower room 2.22 x 1.37 (7`3``x 4`6``) ) so bad that door opens out so might have to take out chunk of bedroom to make proper bathroom.
    Add another €30,000 onto the price then...

How about www.daft.ie/1543803 and see can you haggle the price down a bit. Looks like it would have a decent bathroom in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you put in a bath and put a shower over it. That solves that problem, the bathroom doesnt look big enough to house both. And the otehr rooms are way to big for bathrooms, also youd have to move the plumbing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crabfeet

That looks like a council purchase house. Probably well enough but crudely built. It has the location factor though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Idbatterim wrote: »
    you put in a bath and put a shower over it. That solves that problem, the bathroom doesnt look big enough to house both. And the otehr rooms are way to big for bathrooms, also youd have to move the plumbing...

the bathroom doesn't look big enough for a bath, toilet and sink not to mind a shower as well - might have to change the door to outward opening. Either the toilet or the sink will have to move in any case to fit in a bath based on the 'not guaranteed to be accurate' floorplan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sorry, but that's bull, and I mean that in the nicest way. Alot of houses built before the boom had paper thin walls, or have had massive problems regarding sound. It's just in boom years when you were paying through your nose for the place that people copped onto how bad it was.

Some were, some not. I'd plump for a corpo house if I had the choice. Never buy a house that fronts onto a busy road, I lived in an apt which was just that and it would drive you nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

lainey316 wrote: »
    See what the agent says when you go to view (and do ask if it was a rental) - last property I viewed with DNG the agent started with the "it's open to offers" speech the second I walked in the door.

If you will need to secure a considerable mortgage against this house I'd also be inclined to see what the bank says also before I get myself too excited about proceeding too much further. Banks do their own valuations before granting a mortgage and I'd be surprised if they are anyway near as optomisic as vendor. To me 320k seems mad money for what your getting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I know the area very well, I grew up down the road.

It's an ex-council house in a council estate, but it is a very gentrified estate with little to no social problems at all.

I believe that house is across from the library - there is some knacker drinking there on weekends, but these would be local kids so they wouldn't cause you any hassle.

Stillorgan is a great area. The only thing it's missing is some decent pubs. But Blackrock is just down the road and there are some ok spots there.

I think this house will probably settle around the 180k - 220k mark. I wouldn't pay more than 250k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I think the effect is due to the lense used, to get more of the room into the picture.

Yes I know, it would be a wide angle lens which can distort it.
    Point is the rooms are not as big as they appear.

Listen I am not saying old houses did not have noise problems.
    What I was getting at is this hosue looks like it was built maybe back in 50s or 60s and probably built of blocks and not just slab of hardboard between them.
    Then of course there were no soundproofing materials ever used.
    Add another €30,000 onto the price then...

??? You mean take off another 30,000 ?
    How about www.daft.ie/1543803 and see can you haggle the price down a bit. Looks like it would have a decent bathroom in it.

That house is way overpriced as well. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that the front porch is jointly owned with the neighbour and one of their bedrooms is over your rear storeroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Out of all the houses in that estate, that row are probably the worst.

It would probably be worth your while waiting a little longer for a better house to come on the market. You'll save yourself some cash as well (falling prices, etc.)

Advertisement