Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

self-portrait - tips?

• 22-09-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

I'm setting up my own business (not photography) and will be going to a networking event next week. The organisers are doing up a brochure with photo and bullet points on each particpant.

They asked for passport style photos - any passport photo of me has been a disaster so i want to avoid that "inyerface" look.

So any tips for self-portrait photos?

(I'm using a canon 450d, canon 50mm and a 430exII flash, all on a tripod - background is white wall, unless anyone has any better ideas?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

ablelocks wrote: »
    I'm setting up my own business (not photography) and will be going to a networking event next week. The organisers are doing up a brochure with photo and bullet points on each particpant.

They asked for passport style photos - any passport photo of me has been a disaster so i want to avoid that "inyerface" look.

(I'm using a canon 450d, canon 50mm and a 430exII flash, all on a tripod - background is white wall, unless anyone has any better ideas?)

Longer lens!

Softer background perhaps. Its not US immigration after all:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Why not get a photography minded mate to do a portrait? That way you can bounce ideas off each other a little better.

Also, remember that this is your first chance to project an image for your new business....maybe think outside "the box" a little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ablelocks

only got the call around 12, and have to have it up to them by 3 so don't have much time and no-one else available at such short notice

why the longer lens enda? i thought the 50mm was good for portraits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

why the longer lens enda? i thought the 50mm was good for portraits?

I imagine this is because the nifty 50 would provide a low depth of field and would make it tougher to focus on yourself when you are not behind the camera to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I don't see why a 50mm wouldn't be good enough as long as youre not too close to the camera

I'd probably go for natural light over using flash and take it against a non busy background

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I guess you'll at least want all your face in focus so DOF is an issue.

The 450D is a crop body I believe?
    So I guess about 80mm would be ideal to give the most "natural" and distortion-free aspect to your face's shape.

While the picture should be well made, it must also be factual so beware of shallow DOF and any wide angle distortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I used a 50mm f1.7 on a crop body and natural light. Use a remote trigger. I used a white wall and got some reasonable results. Just trial and error. Fire off a bunch of shots. If you don't have a remote it's gonna take foreverrrrrr :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shanona

so, how did it come out? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

shanona wrote: »
    so, how did it come out? :)

hope he went for something that stands out ;)
    123508337_87868483e3.jpg

Advertisement