Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitcase padlocks for USA travel

Options
  • 22-09-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Hi

can anyone tell me where I can buy the suitcase padlocks that are approved by U.S. customs?

I've seen them on sale somewhere in town, but can't remember where.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They're called TSA locks and can be opened by US Customs.
    You can get them at locksmiths or the airport.
    Unless you're in a hurry you can get them on ebay too.

If all else fails, use plastic cable ties and leave a couple inside the bag so they can re-seal it again.
    Don't put valuables in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Thanks Biko.

Yeah, maybe it was the locksmiths in the Eyre Square Centre I saw them. About a fiver each, iirc)

Lock or not, nothing but clothing will be going in the cases.

( "clothing" after a week of Mrs Big B shopping in NYC would still be a lot to lose, but hopefully a whole lot less nick-able than that new ipod or little bag from tiffany's!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dunnes usually sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

big b wrote: »
    Hi

can anyone tell me where I can buy the suitcase padlocks that are approved by U.S. customs?

I've seen them on sale somewhere in town, but can't remember where.

thanks

TK Maxx have them, usually on the rack near the check outs...

Oh and make sure you don't have an illegally downloaded stuff on your laptop, They can scan it and take it from you if they want to.

Even if there's nothing on it they can still take it (not very likely but...). So encrypt it, although this will probably make them angry and take it anyway.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10004646-38.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

they have them in easons or in the suitcase shop downstairs in eyre sq shopping center.also in Dublin airport.
    we got the combination ones there few weeks ago for travelling to states. if their opened a red tab is supposed to show on the lock to tell you someone has opened it with the special key. when we collected bags in Orlando my fiances lock was missing from his bag. nothing was taken but everything was messed up and thrown around the bag...in a way general carrying of the bag could not do! we were also told at airport that if anyone checked our bag they were supposed to put a leaflet in it after to say it was opened and where etc but we had nothing.
    travelling home we put anything anyways valuable in our carry on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

big b wrote: »
    Lock or not, nothing but clothing will be going in the cases.
    Not much point really, it only seems to be drink and gifts that they steal. They won't go for clothes.

biko wrote: »
    Oh and make sure you don't have an illegally downloaded stuff on your laptop, They can scan it and take it from you if they want to.

Even if there's nothing on it they can still take it (not very likely but...). So encrypt it, although this will probably make them angry and take it anyway.

Thanks for that, Biko.

That settles it, I'm taking the Ipod Touch & no laptop. I'll take my chances that they won't be bored enough to try work out where some of the music came from.

Thanks to all who replied, seems there are more outlets for these locks than I thought.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Not much point really, it only seems to be drink and gifts that they steal. They won't go for clothes.

I'm sure you're right, but I'd happily pay a fiver or so to stop some grubby little thief from rummaging through my gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

:eek: No way!!! Scan for what exactly?? Illegal versions of software, etc?

• Advertisement

Afaik it's been in operation since a while but is being fought.
    They can go through any digital media you have (phone/mp3 player/computers) which is a problem since I have proprietary software on my laptop.
    In essence they can copy my entire hard drive and send it on to NSA/another company or whatever they like.

I don't find much on it so it's probably not a major concern for general travellers but it's just another infringement on people's privacy, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

I really wouldn't worry about the laptop search - Between October 08 and June this year only 6'600 devices were searched, a drop in the ocean considering the number of people who enter the US every day.

Terrible invasion of privacy and I can only hope the ACLU succeed in their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I don't find much on it so it's probably not a major concern for general travellers but it's just another infringement on people's privacy, again.
    Art_Wolf wrote: »
    I really wouldn't worry about the laptop search - Between October 08 and June this year only 6'600 devices were searched, a drop in the ocean considering the number of people who enter the US every day.

Terrible invasion of privacy and I can only hope the ACLU succeed in their case.
    I'm not concerned as my machine belongs to work so everything is legit, its just the shear invasion of privacy! 6600 devices search still doesn't mean you won't be the one to get searched!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

When I say this thread earlier I immediately thought of this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFyEyjbblA

I figured someone else would mention it, but anyway, locking your suitcase offers little additional security.

Mactard wrote: »
    When I say this thread earlier I immediately thought of this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFyEyjbblA

I figured someone else would mention it, but anyway, locking your suitcase offers little additional security.

Thanks, mac.

Seen that video before alright.
    I'm taking the view that if a burglar wants into your house enough, he'll get in - but I still lock the doors.
    If nothing else, it might make an insurance claim easier & for a few bob a little additional security is better than none.

Advertisement