Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few questions from 1st year

Options
  • 22-09-2010 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

on the registration page when i try register for elective(btw i registered for sports management 3 weeks ago) it doesn't appear for some reason. it says on the side that im required 2 register for 10 yet it says 0.

also have i registered for too much stuff? on the same screen it says module required 50 credits and i have registerd for 60?

should i be like studying now? i actually don't know where to begin. have absolutely no books or anything.

i was sick today so couldn't join rugby can i do it at a later date :confused:

in arts is there meant to be tutorials for geography and economics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

d10carter wrote: »
    on the registration page when i try register for elective(btw i registered for sports management 3 weeks ago) it doesn't appear for some reason. it says on the side that im required 2 register for 10 yet it says 0.

also have i registered for too much stuff? on the same screen it says module required 50 credits and i have registerd for 60?

should i be like studying now? i actually don't know where to begin. have absolutely no books or anything.

Don't get your first line (probably should have written it out instead of using digits .... 'it says on the side that im required 2 register for 10 yet it says 0.' wtf?

But yeah 60 credits is a-ok: that's the slightly awkward figure that you should be registered for.

If you got your elective you should have it... but that should be cleared up by now. If you registered for it it should be yours and you should be attending lectures in it. Might be some glitch in the system. Chase it up in the next two days (but not later!!!)

I dunno about studying now. Depends on your course and you. Besides which 'studying?' - you will have some assignments to do (probably essays) but you should get the heads up about these well in advance. Not exactly studying as such. I am the master of 'no work for three months and then one week of hell' but that mightn't necessarily suit you or your course.

Your in Arts - right? Omnibus? You should have at least three subjects and tutorials in all subjects (apart from Economics where they were dropped on... economic grounds - lol! :D)

You can join rugger tomorrow in the sports centre. After Thursday you'll have to e-mail them (and more hassle essentially).

Oh and no essays for economics. Mid-term multiple choice questions (MCQ) and end-of-term MCQ. Beware of Quants. It is torturous (by all accounts).

And... you should go to the Arts Program Office in the Arts building tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yes, they will post announcements on the notice boards. Get the number or e-mail address and contact them that way and ask about joining. Ask at the sports centre first because I think there is a rugby officer.

Economics; NO, John Sheehan said to the class I was in (temporarily) that there is too many people doing it to have tutorials.

Geography; I don't know. Ask the lecturer/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Your elective that you picked was over subscribed and they then pick who gets in at random. You should have got lots of emails to your UCD Connect account updating you about your elective situation, including one saying whether you got into it or not.

You need 60 credits for first year. It says 50 credits on your SIS have to be taken from your core and options, that is what you are looking at when you see 50 credits required. Immediately below that it tells you that you need 60 overall. You can also take some of your electives from your core and options should you wish to take one and if there is space in any of the modules. You might have done that so you may already have 60 credits. Do your messages about subject streams, core/options and electives appear in green or red?

Yes you should study now. You should try and read something connected with all your modules once a week. That could be a journal article or a chapter from a book. I am sure they must have given you some sort of reading list or general advice on what you should use for study and class preparation. If you are unsure what to study or read, ask your lecturers or somebody within the schools. Reading or even re-writing your lecture notes is a good way to study too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Why the fúck would there be Geography tutorials...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

We had to sign up for geography tutorials manually last week, you will have to go to the Geog department and ask or else go down to your lecturer at the end of the lecture and tell them!

And yeah im confused, it says im required to do 10 creds worth of electives but i only have 5? I have 55 worth of creds from modules.... Do I have to do 10 creds worth of electives or what?!:confused: WHY do they make it so bleedin confusing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

The 50 credits are for you course that you are doing ant the 10 is for the two electives that you choose. You really want to do 6 modules in each semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lou45

geog tutorials make up a huge amount of the assessment, really worthwhile making the effort and going!

Advertisement