Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

MissFlitworth! Where did you get a fire bucket egg cup?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

pampootie wrote: »
    MissFlitworth! Where did you get a fire bucket egg cup?!

In Stock beside Stephens Green in Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks for lovely compliment Miss. Flitworth, I shall indeed let you know if I'm in need of a fluffy scarf! I've got the same eggcups as you from Stock as well but have the little buckets that say "Eggs" instead....they are adorable!!

I'm in a soup frenzy at the moment! Today I made spinach and potato soup with smoked bacon crutons and homemade bread again. Very tasty although a tad salty as I was a bit heavy handed with the bouillon! :o

2ir83e0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Tetra

I am new to cooking. I made potato and parsnip soup with chorizo and parsley - my first attempt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tetra wrote: »
    I am new to cooking. I made potato and parsnip soup with chorizo and parsley - my first attempt :)

Congrats! It looks great!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Today I picked up 1lb of minced beef on special in my local butcher.

I hummed and hawed about what to do with it, was considering a pasta sauce or pie. But decided feck it, i haven't made burgers in months.
    SO it was settled.

Dumped the beef into a mixing bowl and as added a hefty pinch of salt, a fair amount of pepper, half a small onion which I grated, 3 cloves of garlic minced and a teaspoon of sambal (hey, I was feeling adventurous).

Divided it into 3 roughly equal balls and made 1/4 inch patties out of them, bangged two into clingfilm for use this evening/tomorrow/whenever and kept one for lunch. Threw it onto a pan at a high heat for about 7 minutes, turning every 90ish seconds put a slice of cheese on top and then put it on a plate and into the oven at about 130 to melt the cheese and cook the inside a little more.

while it was in the oven I fried some sliced onion and mushrooms and made a sauce of 3 parts ketchup, 2 parts mayo and 1 part Sriracha.
    Toasted a Spelt and Honey roll in the toaster and then I was happy that was at my desired level warmth, assembled the burger.

Bottom bun: Blob of ketchup and then the mushrooms and onions.

Top bun: spread the ketchup, mayo and Sriracha sauce. added the burger, stacked it up and devoured it.
    Picture is a weeeeeeeee bit blurry... And far too big to fit in image tags.

Tortilla de Patatas con cebollas y zanahorias (spanish potato omelette with onions and carrots).

This bad boy was 24cm in diameter and fed two men in their late 20's a sizeable lunch when combined with a salad of cos, tomato, spring onion, cucumber and beetroot with a lemon vinaigrette.

Won't be hungry again any time soon!

imj6dj.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Please give me a detailed recipe for that, Seaneh! I tried making tortilla once before and it did not work out :(.

Faith wrote: »
    Please give me a detailed recipe for that, Seaneh! I tried making tortilla once before and it did not work out :(.

peel a large spud, cut it in 1inch cubes and par boil it for about 7 minutes.

roughly chop an onion.

When the spuds are just before done drain them, add them to your pan with the chopped onions and a good glug of olive oil on a medium heat funtil the spuds and onions are tender. season with salt and pepper to taste, and then add a wee bit extra, as you will need it once you add the eggs.

While all that was going on, beat 4 eggs pretty well with a fork in a bowl.

Add your hot potato and onions to the bowl of eggs, fold it all together in the bowl and just leave it to sit for at least a minute, if you can leave it for 5, even better, go make a cup of tea or something. If you wanted to add cheese or whatever, this would be the time to add it to the mix.

Add it all back to the pan at medium heat, make sure all the veggies are in one layer and the eggs are evenly spread around the pan and just let it cook for wee bit without touching it too much.

When the top starts to change colour but is till kind of wet, you can either do the awkward flip onto a plate and add back to the pan upside down and thing to cook the top, or, like me, you can just cheat and bang the pan under the grill for a minute or two to finish the cooking.

If you do the plate flip thing, you end up with it looking the same on both sides, if you bang it under the grill the top will be bumpy with bits of spud poking out, but seeing you are going to turn it onto a place anyway, really, what's the fecking point? Far too much effort :P

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

On Saturday we had Huevos Rancheros for brunch, with some plain naan bread and a very strong pot of coffee:

qp30gw.jpg

• Advertisement

ooooohh, important post script on my last recipe, and this is extremely important.

When you add the hot veggies to the beaten egg in the bowl, you have to make sure the egg is totally covering the veggies, if there are lots of pieces of spud/onion poking through the top, you will end up with a very uneven omelette. If you need to, just beat another egg and add it to the rest and mix it all through.

I stress this because it happens to me all the time.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

open-beef-sandwich.jpg

Fresh-baked bread with a polenta crust, roast beef, home-made Danish remoulade, sliced cornichons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Fruit salad for two... we may have had lunch in bed :)fruitsalad.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Tinned tuna on crispbread with mayonnaise and a dusting of curry powder - a quick and tasty lunch.

tuna.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Itsabagel - chicken caesar on wholewheat. Wholewheat bagel, thinly sliced chicken, parmesan, cos lettuce and their amazing caesar dressing. Nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Aubergine pizza

232447.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A salad of little gem, cherry tomatoes, baby sweetcorn, and roast salmon, with balsamic dressing.

It's summer in my belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tayto Cheese and Onion crisp sangwich!
    Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

decisions wrote: »
    Aubergine pizza

Oh my god.... can you please tell me how you prepped this and what ingredients you used? I can't eat dough at the moment so would love this... Thank you.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

2 slices of brown soda, toasted, with butter and a sliced banana. The simple pleasures. :)

• Advertisement

Wurly wrote: »
    Oh my god.... can you please tell me how you prepped this and what ingredients you used? I can't eat dough at the moment so would love this... Thank you.;)

No problem, I'm not big on measurements or temperatures so sorry if it's a bit vague.

Take a large Aubergine, cut it in half, little drizzle of olive oil and chuck it in an oven at around 220 for 20-25 min.

While that's cooking away, make your sauce and prep your toppings, pretty much anything that works on pizza works on this but here is what I did anyway.

I threw some cut up bacon and some mushrooms into some pans and let them cook away. Then for my sauce I wasn't bothered to make anything fancy, so I took about a tspn of tomato paste and mixted it with a sploge of ketchup, some minced garlic (a small clove or so), a twist or 2 of black pepper and a little bit of basil. At this point I realised that I had no mozzarella so I grated some cheddar.

Take Aubergine out of the oven, add your toppings and chuck it back into the oven for 5 min or until the cheese has melted.

And enjoy.

I feel your pain re dough, my doc has had me on a primal style diet for the last while. I'm grand with the now meals as I've learned to cook around it. Have you tried a meatza, I had a really good one the other day with a chicken base. I'll try and dig up the link.

Docters appontment went well this morning, bloods came back ok so I can eat normally again :D

I just devoured a large bowl of the cooking club Carbonara. And I'm thinking of running to the shop to pick up the ingredients for some caramel squares.

(bloods in January are not going to be fun)

Desk lunch today as I'm busy... chorizo, double gloucester cheese, rocket, tomato and raw carrot in one box; 2 hardboiled eggs with mayo in the other. Apple for later if I'm hungry though it may go uneaten!

1-11_zps0151601b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Very quick, non-fuss stir fry, with Thaistyle ribbon noodles

DA7A9DDD97F645F98950D5A9F2AB3AFA-0000353053-0003105515-00640L-0142F78A07A440B59C8686B78CE00798.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Venison sausages and mash with sweet potato and carrot.

Just realised this was the lunch thread and not the dinner thread. Ooooops. Lunch was a boring salad sandwich and apple.

Christmas eating has begun! Lunch today was panettone french toast, hickory smoked bacon and maple syrup. I may had have a Baileys hot chocolate with it.

Very very delicious, and I am now full of sugar!

2-7_zps0567ece1.jpg

Earlier this week we had a cheeseboard for lunch with 6 different cheeses, some shallot, chorizo, cherry tomatoes and an apple.

1-11_zps11f7835d.jpg

Cauliflower and goats cheese fritters, avocado, cucumber, tomato. Very awesomely delicious and nicely filling.

1-11_zps6b8e0593.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Salad of mixed baby leaves, steamed beans, tender stem broccoli, and smoked mackerel with a yoghurt dressing

B744F184877340AE8897E7F46CC89CC3-0000353053-0003126076-00640L-E70576B30104461DA95641909FCFD0CD.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hunky Dory Smoky Bacon sandwich on sourdough rye with a little butter.:o:o:o

Advertisement