Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I mixed some crab meat with mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard, lime juice and lime zest and served on wholemeal toast. Om nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I made some fresh tagliatelle with my kids, threw together a quick tomato sauce while the pasta dough rested, and added some left-over meatballs I made a couple of days ago.

Served with shredded wild garlic sprinkled on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

fussyonion wrote: »
    For lunch yesterday I scoured the cupboards looking for something tasty (shopping day was today!) and made up my own recipe.

In a pan, I fried some onion and garlic, added a tin of chopped tomatoes, a mix of spices (ground paprika/oregano/garam masala/basil/curry powder/chilli powder/pepper/salt), dash of balsamic vinegar, tablespoon of tomato puree, half a tin of mixed beans and simmered until reduced.

Stirred this into some fusilli and topped with grated cheese.

It was really nice, just the right amount of spices and really filled a gap!

Fussyonion - you are a legend. I just made this for lunch today. I didn't have pasta - I bulked up on the beans and added linda mccartney sausages to it. It was gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Wurly wrote: »
    Fussyonion - you are a legend. I just made this for lunch today. I didn't have pasta - I bulked up on the beans and added linda mccartney sausages to it. It was gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.;)

Oh wow sounds gorgeous! And you're welcome...it's great having basics like tinned tomatoes and a variety of spices in the cupboard; you can always rustle something up for little or nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

A sandwich of sliced grilled chicken breast, Parmesan and wild garlic pesto on homemade bread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Technically, this was brunch. It works well for both breakfast and lunch. Homemade baked beans.

Fry 1 onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Next, add a teaspoon of brown sugar and a liberal squeeze of tomato puree. Add 200ml stock.. and 6 fresh chopped tomatoes. Put in loads of thyme and chili flakes/powder to taste. Simmer for about 10-15 mins. Add 2 tins of mixed beans from aldi or 2 tins of cannellini beans if you're feeling fancy. Simmer until sauce thickens. Et voila! If you want more flavour, you meat-eaters can add some diced rashers to it. The veggies can add veggie sausages or frankfurters.

homemadebakedbeans_zpseb0a0257.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yesterday I made this delicious omelette.
    Ham, peppers, gherkin, red onion, thyme, parsley, oregano and salt and pepper.

32zq1ih.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Bratwurst & toast

3b7ed672-c140-41ff-a592-867631f343ec_zps44b23c5c.jpg

You may note the lack of the all-important mustard swirl to accompany the ketchup. Just as I poked my knife in the mustard jar my boyfriend said 'oh, no, best not to, raw pork central in there. I was using the same spoon to spread the mustard on the pork the other night that I stuck in the jar' So no mustard for my sausage and he looked so contrite at ruining my breakfast (I was skipping round the kitchen going 'mustard, mustard, isn't mustard great, what's a bratwurst without mustard' etc. in the run up) that I thought it best not to mention the ham, cheese and MUSTARD sandwich I had for a midnight snack yesterday...

[HAH! Just noticed the visible toilet roll on the table. Forgot to buy kitchen roll today, we don't poop in the living room <shifty eyes>]
    [Edit to say - on further consideration, until 48 hours from raw pork mustard digestion I can't 100% promise no one poops in my living room]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Today I had a chopped boiled egg with tomato, red onion, sweetcorn and iceberg lettuce mixed with mayonnaise and piled onto toast. I'm trying to eat more eggs and this is the only way I can eat the white.

[URL="[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/33nexr5.jpg[/IMG]"]33nexr5.jpg[/URL]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Interesting, Dizzy. Why can you eat the white in that form?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think it's because it disguises the texture, Faith. I eat whole eggs in frittatas and quiches but I've never been a fan of scrambled eggs and can't bring myself to eat the whites of boiled, fried or poached eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I think it's because it disguises the texture, Faith. I eat whole eggs in frittatas and quiches but I've never been a fan of scrambled eggs and can't bring myself to eat the whites of boiled, fried or poached eggs.
    I am the very same. Even the taste of egg whites makes my stomach turn, I can only eat the yokes unless I make an egg in the cup and then I can eat the white as its mixed with everything else.

I never heard of anyone having a problem with egg whites until I started frequenting this forum. I still can't get my head around it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I never heard of anyone having a problem with egg whites until I started frequenting this forum. I still can't get my head around it.

The texture is just vile. Vile beyond belief. I think I could force myself to eat also anything, but eggs white are just horrible. The taste isn't nice either, tbh.

Faith wrote: »
    The texture is just vile. Vile beyond belief. I think I could force myself to eat also anything, but eggs white are just horrible. The taste isn't nice either, tbh.
    See, I read this and I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. I think about the texture of egg whites and quite simply can't pick out any aspect of it that's objectionable. Ditto the flavour.

Each to their own, I guess, but it leaves me puzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Neither have I. I've only ever come across folks who hate yolks, especially runny ones. My sister is one of them and she managed to convince all four of her kids to hate yolks too from birth.
    Others may choose to avoid yolks for health reasons.
    Bizarre but glad to have come across egg white loathers like you, Faith :)

See, I read this and I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. I think about the texture of egg whites and quite simply can't pick out any aspect of it that's objectionable. Ditto the flavour.

Each to their own, I guess, but it leaves me puzzled.

They're both slimy and rubbery. The flavour reminds me a bit of something that it's not polite to say.

Egg yolks, on the other hand, are delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

The taste isn't nice either, tbh.

They don't taste of anything!

They don't taste of anything!

They obviously do to some of us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Eggs are weird ones. I always had a problem with runny yolks and even now, when I'm mostly over it & eat all manner of eggs, if you catch me on a dicky-tummy sort of a day with a soft boiled egg I'll get watery puke mouth. The thoughts of egg mashed in a cup also gives me the watery puke mouths but actually turns out to be quite tasty. Watery egg white or runny scrambled eggs though - urrrrrrrghhhhh, cannot deal. They're probably the only food that I'm still a real kid about, love them but prefer to eat them when I make them myself.

(an egg with an egg based sauce is also tough for me, eggs benedict are delicious but I have to really talk myself into it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I'm with Faith on this one! I cannot stand egg white on its own. If an egg is fried or poached I wouldn't touch the white (the yoke is delicious though!) I'm not too bad if its mixed up as in scrambled or egg mayo but the white would have to well mashed up. Its the texture for me...its too wobbly
    Each to their own I suppose!

When I think about people making omelettes with just egg whites I feel sick. Pavlova is the only thing I'll make with egg whites :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Undercooked egg yolk is mank though, I agree. Any translucency at all - NO!!!! They must be completely opaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm funny with eggs too.
    I won't eat boiled or poached eggs.
    The thought of an egg salad sandwich makes me gag.
    I would love to eat fried eggs but I just don't like them (except a runny fried egg on a Tiroler Grostl when starving up a mountain in Austria, which I then chopped up and mix into the dish).
    I will just about eat a little scrambled egg.
    But I love omelettes - very plain with a slightly runny centre and Spanish tortilla.
    Doesn't make much sense, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Working lunch in milanos - had the superfood salad with chicken. It.was.delicious.

F1845D4E-F0A2-47AB-A734-0B0FAD4D08BF-22016-00001CF7C1C932F1_zps637482e4.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Eggs are a funny one with me.

I don't mind egg white, but I couldn't eat a load of egg white on it's own for example.

I like boiled eggs but not a fan of fried eggs. I'd eat a fried egg in a fry but I'd be loading it with brown sauce to offset the taste. I don't like omelettes as they are too eggy? :confused:

Poached eggs are nice with smoked salmon. Scrambled egg is always nice.

I HATE runny yolk. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

They're both slimy and rubbery. The flavour reminds me a bit of something that it's not polite to say.

Egg yolks, on the other hand, are delicious!

I'm the opposite. Don't like yolks of eggs! I only really eat eggs fried or scrambled. Don't mind the yolks in scrambled eggs but hate the taste of them on their own. If I had a fried egg, I'd only eat the white. Although I don't mind the yolk if it's in a breakfast sandwich/roll, as long as it's hard! The sight of a runny yolk makes me feel queasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

awec wrote: »
    Eggs are a funny one with me.

I don't mind egg white, but I couldn't eat a load of egg white on it's own for example.

I like boiled eggs but not a fan of fried eggs. I'd eat a fried egg in a fry but I'd be loading it with brown sauce to offset the taste. I don't like omelettes as they are too eggy? :confused:

Poached eggs are nice with smoked salmon. Scrambled egg is always nice.

I HATE runny yolk. Yuck.

Ever tried an omelette with one whole egg and a few egg whites. Not overly eggy, especially if you add stuff like onions and peppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Chicken covered in Nandos sauce, with bell pepper, rocket, chive, a thai chilli and some scallion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

decisions wrote: »
    Chicken covered in Nandos sauce, with bell pepper, rocket, chive, a thai chilli and some scallion.

Didn't attach the first time.

Advertisement