Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

That would be a discussion for the Nutrition and Diet forum ;)

I meant it's a must for flavour! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Oh no, I completely agree-good fats are essential.
    It's just that I like making low-fat soups 'cos I like to fill up on them so I won't be picking on naughty things! It's a good nutritious filler and I find it keeps me full for longer.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Oh no, I completely agree-good fats are essential.
    It's just that I like making low-fat soups 'cos I like to fill up on them so I won't be picking on naughty things! It's a good nutritious filler and I find it keeps me full for longer.

Yeah, I find soup very filling too.

And homemade chicken stock is actually very low calorie whilst being very flavoursome, but that's a topic for another forum! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Turmeric chicken stir fry.

It could have done with more broccoli and another onion, but it was just a throw together meal.

I had it with rice yesterday and cold in some salad wraps today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made medium rare striploin, over sweet sautéed red onion and rocket leaves, on buttery garlic bread. Ah man best lunch in ages. Too hungry to take photos.

• Advertisement

Homemade potato wedges with Aldi lemon sole goujons. Well, they were more like mini-roasties. Om nom nom.

Happy National Spud Day! :)

2qas64h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Pretzel covered chicken pieces with salad and a balsamic glaze

Had playdates over today so made rigatoni in creamy portobello and pancetta sauce, salad of rocket, watercress basil and baby spinach, and garlic ciabatta.
    Last minute dessert plan so made the cooking club's Apple tart for the umpteenth time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Smoked trout, cream cheese & a sesame bagel. And a Kinder Egg.

8fde0ad4-2ba6-41b1-8e29-82bdbd2d7f71_zps013f5de4.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Rustic baguette from the Alternative Bread Company in Cork, and the best chicken liver paté from Nash 19. Om nom nom!

• Advertisement

Smoked trout, cream cheese & a sesame bagel. And a Kinder Egg.

Where can you buy smoked trout? Any supermarkets? Thanks!

Where can you buy smoked trout? Any supermarkets? Thanks!

I got it in Superquinn, this stuff

5391511394609_2.JPG

I got it in Superquinn, this stuff

Is it cheaper than smoked salmon?

Is it cheaper than smoked salmon?

In rip off Superquinn it was :) Only reason I bought it! It was €3 for 100gms but I think normally €4

In rip off Superquinn it was :) Only reason I bought it! It was €3 for 100gms but I think normally €4

Cool, another annoying question. Do you (or anyone else) know if you can freeze smoked salmon and smoked trout? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Cool, another annoying question. Do you (or anyone else) know if you can freeze smoked salmon and smoked trout? :)

Yeah you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Just polished off last night's pasta leftovers for lunch, had it with wholewheat spaghetti, delicious :o

Wholewheat pasta taste much nicer than regular white pasta, I think, its more crunchy.

Mmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Scrambled eggs cooked with onions and garlic. I added avocado, spring onion, coriander, roasted pepper and roasted tomato to it after it was cooked. Mmmm

Scrambled eggs cooked with onions and garlic. I added avocado, spring onion, coriander, roasted pepper and roasted tomato to it after it was cooked. Mmmm

I also had scrambled eggs :) In a quesidilla with bacon,BBQ sauce and cheese

f144bb63-faac-4f85-a940-4b6c8514cbde_zps0e8c4d8a.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bruschetta made with gorgeous vine tomatoes, mixed with oregano from the garden, minced garlic, olive oil and salt. Left to mix together for a few hours, then served with lightly toasted baguette. It wasn't all for me, but I'd totally eat the whole lot myself :D

MN5t0ZNl.jpg

• Advertisement

Went for yum cha with the kids. No photos, but we had:
    steamed beancurd skin stuffed with mushroom and veg,
    turnip cake (lo bak gao),
    steamed glutinous rice stuffed with assorted mince & shrimps, wrapped in lotus leaves (lo mai gai)
    prawn in rice noodle rolls (cheung fan)

Myself and my boyfriend went to Milanos today for lunch after hearing great things about it for so long and to be honest, we were very disappointed.

To start we had the beef meatballs which were delicious, and decided we would share a pizza so decided on ham, onions, pepperoni and mushrooms and after nearly 20 minutes she brought over a pizza wither ham, olives and pepperoni and then had to go and order the correct pizza, meaning another 20 minute wait.

Then when we went to pay the lady at the till asked my boyfriend if "we'd leave a tip", not "would you like to leave a tip?" or anything just "would you leave a tip".

Considering we were waiting almost 20 mins between each course, and we got the wrong order etc. we weren't in any humour to leave tips, and doubt we will return there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Myself and my boyfriend went to Milanos today for lunch after hearing great things about it for so long and to be honest, we were very disappointed.

To start we had the beef meatballs which were delicious, and decided we would share a pizza so decided on ham, onions, pepperoni and mushrooms and after nearly 20 minutes she brought over a pizza wither ham, olives and pepperoni and then had to go and order the correct pizza, meaning another 20 minute wait.

Then when we went to pay the lady at the till asked my boyfriend if "we'd leave a tip", not "would you like to leave a tip?" or anything just "would you leave a tip".

Considering we were waiting almost 20 mins between each course, and we got the wrong order etc. we weren't in any humour to leave tips, and doubt we will return there again.

Which Milano's was that Toast?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Rasher sandwich :D

Toast4532 wrote: »

Pity the chains are inconsistent. While I love Milano on Dawson St., I have had very bad experience at the one on Clarion Quay. Seriously rude staff, and yes I did complain there and then and made a point that I won't be giving tips or coming back. It was that bad.

tmc86 wrote: »
    Which Milano's was that Toast?!
    The branch on East Essex Street, just opposite Farrington's pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Used up some left overs from last night:
    Fried black rice with chicken, Chinese sausage, ginger, garlic, spring onions, peas, preserved black beans, soy sauce, chilli flakes and a squeeze of lemon.

6XKmvS.jpg

Smoked salmon sandwich with cream cheese & wasabi sesame seeds on wholemeal bread. No photos because the green from the wasabi leaked into the cream cheese and made it look 3 months out of date. Apple & yoghurt.

Day 1, Week 1 bringing my own lunch to work instead of opening my wallet and donating the contents to various sandwich shops: complete.

Leftovers from last night, cold rice with soy sauce & peas & and cold chicken with peanut butter & wasabi sesame seeds and a piece of coconut crumble from my Graze box. Also I set myself up with a little box on my desk that I put the price of a coffee into every day I don't buy lunch out or otherwise convince myself to get coffee (had gotten into a very expensive lunch+coffee routine), 2 days in and I have just over €6 which, considering I dismissed a pair of €7 pyjama bottoms in Penneys earlier as 'too expensive' means I'm probably going to seriously scare myself after a couple of weeks of this on how much I spent on coffee alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Pinto beans, tender stem broccoli, haloumi and sun-dried tomato - assembled last night and nuked for 1 minute today. It was heavenly.

fee3c17f-20ef-4e9b-82cf-440417371c1c_zps57193ed9.jpg

Advertisement