Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Leftovers from last night, cold rice with soy sauce & peas & and cold chicken with peanut butter & wasabi sesame seeds and a piece of coconut crumble from my Graze box. Also I set myself up with a little box on my desk that I put the price of a coffee into every day I don't buy lunch out or otherwise convince myself to get coffee (had gotten into a very expensive lunch+coffee routine), 2 days in and I have just over €6 which, considering I dismissed a pair of €7 pyjama bottoms in Penneys earlier as 'too expensive' means I'm probably going to seriously scare myself after a couple of weeks of this on how much I spent on coffee alone.

I have an Excel file for tracking my outgoings, and I'm actually too frightened to use it. The amount of money that I spend on food without thinking is insane. And then I complain that I can't pay my bills!

Even a trip to M&S today to buy tights became a trip to buy tights, cookies and there was serious consideration given to sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Faith wrote: »
    I have an Excel file for tracking my outgoings, and I'm actually too frightened to use it. The amount of money that I spend on food without thinking is insane. And then I complain that I can't pay my bills!

I was whinging about being broke to one of the calculator owning accounts bunnies in work a few weeks ago and she went "Well, you spend, hmmm €5 a day on sandwiches and is that your second take out coffee today? We'll say you probably spend €7 4 days a week shall we? I'll be nice and not factor in the occasional second coffee and that nasty scone habit you've developed (coffee & scone from the 'nice' place coming in to work started to cost me €5.25 3 times a week) <tap tap tap> Now lets look at that over 48 weeks of the year to factor in holidays <tap tap tap> well, that's just over €1300 a year right there." I sort of knew I'd gotten back into the 'ridiculous' area but yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I was whinging about being broke to one of the calculator owning accounts bunnies in work a few weeks ago and she went "Well, you spend, hmmm €5 a day on sandwiches and is that your second take out coffee today? We'll say you probably spend €7 4 days a week shall we? I'll be nice and not factor in the occasional second coffee and that nasty scone habit you've developed (coffee & scone from the 'nice' place coming in to work started to cost me €5.25 3 times a week) <tap tap tap> Now lets look at that over 48 weeks of the year to factor in holidays <tap tap tap> well, that's just over €1300 a year right there." I sort of knew I'd gotten back into the 'ridiculous' area but yikes.

And just to depress you more - how much do you need to earn to net that €1,300? Ouch:eek:
    I am the same as you by the way - my weakness is the ciggies, a real stupid one that is too.

I had a salad for lunch with brown bread by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Today I had a turkey, lettuce, red onion and tomato sandwich on wholemeal bread, cup of tea and a Cadbury Mini Roll :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Chicken stir fry with rice as I had no noodles.

• Advertisement

really, really lovely chowder (chow-dah!!) with awful stale bread. People who sell food do stupid things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Decided to make some mushroom soup whilst my bread was baking, yum.

jDrbkATl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Bratwurst with fried potatoes and onions. And ketchup. And a soft white roll. Man alive it was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Fried rice vermicelli noodles. Scraped last night's leftover roast soy garlic chicken, added bak choy, more soy and some sesame oil. Simplicity at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Went to our favourite little ethnic cafe for lunch with Mr.Merkin and had Laal Maas which was absolutely nyumsome, shall be making this soon for dinner, really simple but sooooo tasty! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yesterday's lunch in Iyer's, Cork.
    Aloo Tikki. (photographed after I had hungrily attacked it)
    We had one with that yoghurt and pomegranate topping and one with a chickpea curry. You can see the remains of the chutneys we had with a couple of samosas to start. Seriously good food.

7pEXW4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Lunch in college today because I'm not home until 10 tonight.

Wasn't bothered to prepare anything so it's the €4.95 meal deal.

It wasn't bad in fairness, mash was nicely seasoned and the green beans had a bit of bite to them, but I've no bloody clue what the chicken was supposed to taste like :P

Made creamy roasted butternut squash soup with spiced coconut milk. Perfect for this miserable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Made creamy roasted butternut squash soup with spiced coconut milk. Perfect for this miserable day.

Ooh sounds yum have you a recipe please?

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    Ooh sounds yum have you a recipe please?

Sure.

Cut a butternut squash in half, scoop the stringy bits and seeds out. Place them on a baking sheet and drizzle a bit of oil. Roast at 220C for about 35-45 min, until the flesh is soft.
    In the meantime, in a pot, sautee 1 chopped onion with a thumb size of ginger grated on medium heat, until soft. Then add 2 crushed garlic cloves, a pinch of cumin and a teaspoon of red thai curry paste and stir. Let it coook for another few more minutes.
    When squash is done, scoop out the flesh and add them into the pot. Add a cup of chicken/veg stock to this, and let it simmer for a few minutes. Blend the content of the pot. If you have a handblender, great. Otherwise, transfer to a processor/blender, blend until smooth, then transfer back to the pot.
    Add a can of coconut milk and a splash of fish sauce and simmer gently for a few minutes.

*Sometimes I'd also add lemongrass but I didn't have any today. I'd bruise it and add towards the end with coconut milk.

edit: oh, don't forget to season to taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Cinnamon sweet potato cubes.

Delicious :)

Lunch today will be spinach, bacon and mushroom omelettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Today I had bacon and beetroot rissotto. It was very tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I had boiled and fried potatoes and 2 fried eggs. Salt, vinegar and ketchup and a slice of buttered bread. Absolute perfection.

scrambled eggs with avocado, chorizo and cheese on toasted sour dough. Was delicious but way greasy. Lovely cafe but if I'd had a second napkin I would have tilted my plate and tried to absorb the puddle of fat. (and I like fat, this was just a smidge much)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Winter vegetable soup with my Dad's homemade bread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Curry sweet potato and red lentil soup. My boyfriend made a huge pot of it for dinner last night, but the flavours are much better today :D And a gouda bread roll from Lidl on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Chilli con carne nachos (Chilli left over from the other night, made using Sparks' Cooking Club recipe), and whiskey sours for lunch today..... Starting our Saturday night early! :D

acf3fba4-268a-4dde-97ed-6df725419740.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pancakes with crispy bacon and maple syrup - delicious :)

673yty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Today I am having homemade veg soup accompanied by homemade brown bread mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Sad work lunch wolfed down in the two minutes I had to spare consisting of 2 slices of bread, an apple and a chunky kitkat. Bleh :(

Today we had ham, cheese and onion quiche for lunch. So delicious and filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Dolbert wrote: »
    Sad work lunch wolfed down in the two minutes I had to spare consisting of 2 slices of bread, an apple and a chunky kitkat. Bleh :(

I feel your pain Dolbert, my lunch today was a demi baguette and a yellow Snack bar. Couldn't even have a coffee with it, our coffee machines out of order!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

2 egg omelet with chorizo, mushrooms, spring onion and cheddar.

chorizoomeletnov2013_zps321ac76f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

280308.jpgBuffalo mozzarella with carved ham, spring onions, tomatoes, rock salt and black pepper on ciabatta bread

Advertisement