Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Homemade chicken and veg soup with fresh crusty bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Cully & Sully Chicken and veg soup with fresh crusty bread :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Homemade vegetable soup with homemade soda bread :D

Soup is the business around here lately :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Spicy parsnip soup I made a humongous batch of before Christmas with Lidl 5c parsnips :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was certainly a soup day! I had home made brown bread and home made vegetable soup too. And a packet of crisps.

It was certainly a soup day! I had home made brown bread and home made vegetable soup too. And a packet of crisps.

Any chance you could stick up the brown bread recipe please? Would love to give it a try as any time I have tried (with different recipes) it never turns out right! Any tips, advice etc welcome too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

A slightly curried butternut squash soup today with some homemade soda bread.

That book 'Like Mam Used to Bake' is a super cookbook. The nicest soda bread recipe I have used in years. Her carrot cake recipe is amazing too. Had a sneaky slice after lunch :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Any chance you could stick up the brown bread recipe please? Would love to give it a try as any time I have tried (with different recipes) it never turns out right! Any tips, advice etc welcome too :o

I cheated and used a packet of Odlums that I fund in the cupboard :o

I'm going to try Mr E's recipe in the Cooking Club though, I just need to buy a second loaf tin because the recipe's for 2 loaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had some amazing rosemary, oregano and cheese wholemeal bread that my friend's mother made.
    It was delicious and I'm hoping to get the recipe soon.

• Advertisement

We're having Lamb stew today.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Prawns with a tomatoey mayo, some gem lettuce leaves and cucumber slices on homemade rye bread

A715D1AF280548D68E3809B9B930708E-0000353053-0003479020-00800L-0D1DC998FA6C45549640F4B0B49CA1CF.jpg

must really get back into food photography...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

^^^ is that EasyFood magazine? :D the lighting is magnificent

Lunch was roast chicken and coleslaw sandwich, both leftovers from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Pang wrote: »
    A slightly curried butternut squash soup today with some homemade soda bread.
    That book 'Like Mam Used to Bake' is a super cookbook. The nicest soda bread recipe I have used in years. Her carrot cake recipe is amazing too. Had a sneaky slice after lunch :)
    I keep meaning to get that. I love her blog.
    Hermione* wrote: »
    I'm cooking a big pan of chickpeas, kale, roast sweet spud, chorizo and caramelised red onion, flavoured with ginger, cayenne and lots of black pepper, for lunches.
    Had this for lunch today. Made a nice change from soup to have something salady. Much better than yesterday's lunch of a banana and a handful of nuts :pac:

Hermione* wrote: »
    I keep meaning to get that. I love her blog.Had this for lunch today. Made a nice change from soup to have something salady. Much better than yesterday's lunch of a banana and a handful of nuts :pac:

It's really worth the twenty euro. Her recipes are excellent. Boston Cream Pie is beckoning this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    ^^^ is that EasyFood magazine? :D the lighting is magnificent

nope, but Good Food magazine :D Not a fan of EasyFood as so many of the recipes in EasyFood are just sponsored ads basically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Carrot & lentil soup, recipe from BBC. Very comforting on a day like this but slightly too cumin-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Very sore head :P Felt like having a dirty plate of rubbish, so ran down to the butchers and got a mountain of wings.
    An hour later ta-daaah, buffalo wings, leftover beetroot slaw, sweet potato chips. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Carrot & lentil soup, recipe from BBC. Very comforting on a day like this but slightly too cumin-y.

I made this last week, and it was way too cumin-y. I really didn't like it. I will try it again, but will omit the cumin completely I think.

Today, I had a grilled ham and cheese, American style (cooked in a frying pan), and a glass of milk. Comfort food at it's best :)

Had a red onion and chive bagel with cucumber Philadelphia and smoked salmon. Added a pinch of cracked black pepper. Amazing!

• Advertisement

Today I had lamb stew, but could only manage a few spoonfuls, seems I have a touch of the winter vomiting bug. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Huevos Rancheros with chorizo, toast & chips. Really very, very nice but eating the toast AND the beans AND the chips that came with the eggs was a poor choice. Nearly exploded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Very sore head :P Felt like having a dirty plate of rubbish, so ran down to the butchers and got a mountain of wings.
    An hour later ta-daaah, buffalo wings, leftover beetroot slaw, sweet potato chips. Sorted.

I object to calling this rubbish. That's great food, right there.

Boiled ubhs, toasted soda bread & rashers. Loads of butter & coffee. Discovered that that tub of Fleur de Sel should be rename 'eruption de sel', it's impossible to open without coating a square foot around you in expensive salt

f19cb3e6-844b-4155-bb24-bf0273244e72_zps1d700c40.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Is that a bottle of sleeping tablets in the background, from Target in the US? I think I have the same brand. :pac:

I had soft rolls with ham, cheese and coleslaw. And some bbq crisps. And five mugs of tea.

dipdip wrote: »
    Is that a bottle of sleeping tablets in the background, from Target in the US? I think I have the same brand. :pac:

Yes! I mistook them for antihistamines earlier. Luckily I realised my mistake before I necked back a couple of sleepy tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Miss Flitworth, where did you get those adorable egg cups?
    I have an ashtray out my back garden which is a bigger version of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

We're having pizza later, so I took some dough and made flatbreads. Brushed them with garlic oil and salt and had them with homemade lemon hummus. And a glass of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had leftover carrot soup followed by pancakes with blueberries and maple syrup. Then a square of chilli dark chocolate. Time for a snooze.

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    Miss Flitworth, where did you get those adorable egg cups?
    I have an ashtray out my back garden which is a bigger version of those!

I got them in Stock beside Stephen's Green shopping centre in Dublin, it was a couple of years ago now but I think they still have them. You can get them on Amazon as well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddingtons-Fire-Bucket-Egg-Cups/dp/B003K02Z50

Advertisement