Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Stack of big fat blueberry pancakes drenched in maple syrup with ice cream on top. For lunch!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

We had smoked Spanish bacon, scrambled eggs with scallion mixed through and some toasted tiger bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Faith wrote: »
    I had fried eggs and toast. Great minds, Miss F :D

We're so clever.

Today I had toast for lunch because I had relatives dropping round who misled me hugely as to when they would be over. Grump grump grump.

But while I was waiting, and giving out stink, I made meatballs & chili so that's us fed for the next couple of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon at Odessa in Dublin. My first visit there, and it won't be my last!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Odessa is class!

Homemade beef burger for lunch today, thanks to the mammy. The bun got a wee bit, eh, well done. But the whole thing was delish!

• Advertisement

Babyleaf salad with cucumber, avocado, cottage cheese, shredded ham & sriracha. There were supposed to be nuts as well but they didn't survive the walk back from the shops.

Turns out that avocado & sriracha should go get married and have babies, it's all I can do not to land down in the work kitchen and eat the rest of my avocado with the rest of my sriracha.

(How should a person pronounce 'sriracha'? s-rrrrrr-acha? sreee-racha? other?)

b1488ec6-067f-4cee-8619-ee39ba55f29f_zps71aedb89.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Babyleaf salad with cucumber, avocado, cottage cheese, shredded ham & sriracha. There were supposed to be nuts as well but they didn't survive the walk back from the shops.

Turns out that avocado & sriracha should go get married and have babies, it's all I can do not to land down in the work kitchen and eat the rest of my avocado with the rest of my sriracha.

Never heard of this sriracha before. Google tells me it's some sort of hot sauce. Would any hot sauce suffice or is there something special with the unpronounceable one? ;)

Never heard of this sriracha before. Google tells me it's some sort of hot sauce. Would any hot sauce suffice or is there something special with the unpronounceable one? ;)

It's much thicker and less vinegary than other hot sauces like Franks or Tabasco. Like a hot, bit vinegary, bit garlicky, not tomato-y, not very sweet chili ketchup.

Having said that I'm going to dip avocado in Franks tonight and I will report back.

Edit to say: It might be very similar to other Asian hot sauces, I just haven't had the pleasure of trying very many of them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I say 'siracha', and pronounce the first syllable as 'sir', like 'sirloin'. That's how I've heard chefs pronounce it anyway!

Oh lads, cottage cheese + hot sauce + greens sounds DIVINE for lunch.

I have a LOAD of pitta breads in the freezer than need using up - what are yer favourite pitta fillings for lunch time?

• Advertisement

Oh lads, cottage cheese + hot sauce + greens sounds DIVINE for lunch.

I have a LOAD of pitta breads in the freezer than need using up - what are yer favourite pitta fillings for lunch time?
    Chicken (garlic chicken is divine too) and salad is gorgeous in pitta breads. If you've crispy bacon throw that in too, delicious.

Minced pork, scallion and chopped baby spinach is delicious too.

Ham and cheese, thrown into a grill/sandwich maker/george foreman for a few minutes is gorgeous too, just enough time to melt the cheese a little.

I also have a salad thingy I make sometimes and its lovely in pitta (or any bread)

Scallion
    Onion
    Ham (could use chicken or whatever meat you wanted either)
    Lettuce
    Baby spinach (or any other spinach you prefer so long as its fresh)
    Tomatoes
    Cheese (whatever one you prefer)
    Dressing/sauce (whatever one you like)
    Sprinkle of black pepper

Chop everything and mix it up in a bowl or whatever and just spoon it into the pitta (or whatever you have it in). It's delicious.

It's hand for lunch, filling too, only thing is the salad can make the bread soggy if left in it so best to keep it in a separate container and just put it into the pitta just before you eat it.

Could also put slits/holes into the bread and brush it with flavoured oil (garlic for example) and have it with pasta or something, kinda like garlic bread.

You're a star, Toast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Nipped home for work today; I had a whole tin of baked beans, 2 eggs fried in butter and a giant mug-o-tea while watching Neighbours. It was pretty great.

More green salad, cottage cheese, tuna, avocado & sriracha. Also little bitty rice cake things.

c00fa218-b778-40a5-9353-f0f142886a5f_zpsde64dda4.jpg

I mix tuna, cottage cheese and hot sauce in a tub, toast my pitta in work and fill it with the tuna mix and salad. Or toast the pitta, cut it into strips and use it to eat loads of hummous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Two eggs baked in ramekins with spinach, ricotta, salt & pepper and a dusting of smoked paprika, on toasted walnut loaf. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Asked himself to run down to the butcher and grab a couple of their finest burgers. Cheese and sauteed onions, yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Chicken (garlic chicken is divine too) and salad is gorgeous in pitta breads. If you've crispy bacon throw that in too, delicious.

This inspired my lunch today! Seeded bagel, bacon medallions, and left over chicken shredded and mixed with pesto and philly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Baked potato with excess meat sauce from last weekend's lasagna (I had frozen it!), and grated parmesan.

256tsm1.jpg

That looks divine Dizzyblonde.

Today we had spicy wedges that needed using - I overcooked them.

We had it with chicken en croute which was inedible thanks to someone being heavy handed with sage or oregano.

Got them in Supervalu for €3, would have been delicious had the herb not been as strong.

Even after brushing my teeth and using mouth wash I can still taste it, and I only had two mouthfuls of the chicken. Urgh.

Miss Flitworth - I took inspiration from your good self and got a lovely ripe avocado in Tesco after work yesterday.

Mushed it up with some Frank's hot sauce and just ate it with a spoon. OMG it was so delicious! A great post-work, pre-dinner snack. A wee flavour bomb!

• Advertisement

Tea, toast and slightly overdone boiled eggs. Yum all the same!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was brunch today, and we had crisp streaky bacon with maple syrup and pancakes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Quinoa, cinnamon, raisins, almonds, maple syrup and a handful of trail mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Today I had Avocado, pumpkin seeds, mixed leaves, tuna infused with herbs, spinach, crouton, tomato, red and yellow pepper with Frank's hot sauce poured over. It was delicious

Sorry for the crappy phone pic taken in work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I took full advantage of my day off from work and had guggy eggs and toast with a huge cup of tea :)

cosmic wrote: »
    I took full advantage of my day off from work and had guggy eggs and toast with a huge cup of tea :)

That takes me back! That's what they were called in our house when I was a child :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

That takes me back! That's what they were called in our house when I was a child :)
    My dad still calls them that :o

Today I had tuna mixed with mayo, cucumber and scallion on brown bread with a mug of tea. Yum.

What are guggy eggs? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Today I had tuna mixed with mayo, cucumber and scallion on brown bread with a mug of tea. Yum.

What are guggy eggs? :o

Guggy eggs (I always thought they were spelled gucky but it turns out I was wrong) are a soft boiled egg mashed in a cup with butter and salt and served with toast. They're amazingly comforting.

I had leftover lasagne today.

• Advertisement

dipdip wrote: »
    Guggy eggs (I always thought they were spelled gucky but it turns out I was wrong) are a soft boiled egg mashed in a cup with butter and salt and served with toast. They're amazingly comforting.

I had leftover lasagne today.
    Aha, we always called them 'Eggs in the cup' lol. They are gorgeous alright, I haven't had them for ages actually...maybe for lunch tomorrow :)

Advertisement