Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

My dad still calls them that :o

Mine too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

dipdip wrote: »
    Guggy eggs (I always thought they were spelled gucky but it turns out I was wrong) are a soft boiled egg mashed in a cup with butter and salt and served with toast. They're amazingly comforting.

Is that what it is? I call it 'a pain' whenever himself requests for it for midnight snack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Went to the Cellar Bar in the Merrion for a birthday (not mine) lunch today. Had a salad of roast beetroot, toonsbridge (love that name, makes me think of Roger Rabbit for some reason) feta, blood orange, broccoli, [something] and pumpkin seed salad with chicken and the nicest glass of Pinot Noir with the funniest name ever (a German wine called Geil, which basically means horny, I had quite the sad little chortle to myself)

It was lovely! Couldn't take a photo cos out with work folk who would have thought I was stone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Have a thing lately for prawns, today they ended up in a leftovers stir fry

0680CB6753F7492B98EB70147D5B5C38-0000353053-0003510388-00640L-4FAD803963E74712B5CDDBCBCC569A20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We had this yesterday and it was so tasty.
    Grilled Southern Fried chicken breast, cut up and tossed in a salad of lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, peppers, gherkins, cucumbers, red onion and a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil.

nq4l1v.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Chicken stuffing and mixed peppers sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Aha, we always called them 'Eggs in the cup' lol. They are gorgeous alright, I haven't had them for ages actually...maybe for lunch tomorrow :)

We used to call them Guggy Egg in a Cup, lol!

Dont know if the rest of you are Dubs, but it seems a Dublin thing.

Did anyone else have Goody? Bread, with hot milk and sugar, used to have it for Dinner on Wednesdays (Thursday was payday!!!)

(typical misery lit child.........we were poor but we were happy, lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

anewme wrote: »
    Did anyone else have Goody? Bread, with hot milk and sugar

Both guggy egg and goody were made in my house for us when we weren't well. Served with a big mammy cuddle. Proper comfort :p

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Something new for us today. Her Indoors brought a series of baking books back from our last Denmark trip, and thumbing through them I found a recipe for "handies". These are like little wholemeal sandwiches with the filling baked into them, sort of like "hot pockets" in the US but much tastier.

We made a few with bockwurst, ketchup and mustard (for that hotdog vibe), and a few more with ham and cheese. The book also suggested chicken and pesto, which sounds delicious - one to try next time.

We underbaked them slightly and will freeze most of them, to be taken out and finished in the mini oven whenever we feel like a tasty lunchtime treat.

handies.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Lovely salad of rocket and spinach with king prawns and a sort-of Marie rose sauce I knocked together. Sprinkled with sesame seeds and a generous squeeze of lemon. Thoroughly delish and I expect to not be hungry for quite a while this avo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I had a roasted sweet potato, corn, black bean and baby spinach salad, with a dressing of minced red onion, lime juice, olive oil, tabasco, salt, pepper, chilli and cider vinegar. Some feta was crumbled on top. A taste sensation.

Tuna and houmous salad. Going through a mad houmous love at the moment.

Lunch today is a spicy chopped salad of tomatoes, scallions, jalapeños, avocado, lime juice and salt, eaten with blue corn chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

Chicken and mango salad for lunch today. :)

21jwsq0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Went to Fallon & Byrne yesterday for lunch and had a long, lazy lunch which I am still reliving - I love that place so much. Mr. Merkin had a Mediterranean fish stew and some really crisp Riesling and I had a delicious mixed charcuterie plate with delicious Italian hard cheeses and cured meats, quince jelly, capers, gherkins, grapes and artisan bread. Had it with pink lemonade and it was so delicious I'd like to have it every single day....nyum.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Merkin wrote: »
    I had a delicious mixed charcuterie plate with delicious Italian hard cheeses and cured meats, quince jelly, capers, gherkins, grapes and artisan bread. Had it with pink lemonade and it was so delicious I'd like to have it every single day....nyum.

Definitely my ultimate meal too! Fallon and Bryne have it down - but love the "charger" in Ely too. So good.

I had a croque monsieur in Chez Max, and am still full.

Omelette made with ham, peppers, gherkins, onions, rocket and herbs

2r6cjk1.jpg

fussyonion wrote: »
    Omelette made with ham, peppers, gherkins, onions, rocket and herbs

That looks more like a frittata to me. :)

I had toasted cheese sandwiches today, and a couple of slices of melon. Hit the spot.

That looks more like a frittata to me. :)

I had toasted cheese sandwiches today, and a couple of slices of melon. Hit the spot.

Ha, probably cos I don't fold it over? I like popping it under the grill too :)

Vegetarian wholemeal pizza with lots of sweetcorn and peppers.

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ha, probably cos I don't fold it over? I like popping it under the grill too :)

I could be totally wrong about this, but to me an omelette is basically an egg pancake, in which you can put a filling, like so.

omelette.jpg

A frittatta is when you throw the eggs and veg into the pan all together, like so.

frittata.jpg

The end result is quite different in taste and texture. :)

Either way, tasty!

I could be totally wrong about this, but to me an omelette is basically an egg pancake, in which you can put a filling, like so.

A frittatta is when you throw the eggs and veg into the pan all together, like so.

The end result is quite different in taste and texture. :)

Either way, tasty!

Ha, I always knew the word "frittata" but I never actually knew what it was..turns out it's what I've been eating on a regular basis!

I throw all the ingredients in the pan, crack the eggs in a jug and pour into the pan, then pop it under the grill.
    So yeah fritatta!
    :)

An emmenthal, ham & egg salad from Chez Max this Thursday. Which turned out to be a charcuterie & cheese platter for minimum 2 people with a little greenery on the side.

d7e1aab2-4347-4b90-89b3-9e26b20a7a38_zpsb81b6dbf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Lovely salad for Sunday lunch; goat's cheese, walnuts, beetroot, leaves, scallions, cucumber, cherry tomatoes. Balsamic and honey dressing.

IMAG1485_zps6cdab1bc.jpg

Little gem with cottage cheese & ham

f4515a00-ffb9-4c5a-b37e-1b83f845a899_zps76668030.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Sushi in a wee box from the local spar. Ridiculously expensive but I just HAD to have it. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Homemade seafood chowder was yum
    those little gem leaves look surprisingly appealing wasn't expecting it from the description

Smoked salmon salad today with plenty of houmous.

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    those little gem leaves look surprisingly appealing wasn't expecting it from the description

They're quite nice! But they do get awfully bland if you accidentally eat all the ham in your first bite, you need to maintain the ham:cottage cheese ratio right they way through. Definitely sound a bit 80s Weightwatchers though

• Advertisement

Toasted cheese and tomato batch sandwich:

30l15k8.jpg

Advertisement