Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The Bakehouse on the northside quays near the hapenny bridge (Dublin). They bake their own bread, it's wonderful, wonderful place

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Need an excuse to go to Dublin soon so!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had a couple of Schinkengipfli & a gorgeous cup of freshly brewed coffee for lunch today. Schinkengipfli are the best Swiss invention ever! Basically, they are croissants stuffed with finely diced bacon or ham, sometimes with rough sausage meat.

l_5341_1339846388.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Sushi tray from Tesco. Unsurprisingly gack! Rice was pasty glop, tuna was of the extrememly salty tinned-in-brine variety and wasabi had that unsettling fungal taste tubes of squeezy wasabi have. This is what I get for being too lazy to make my own lunch last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Couscous salad, with a yoghurt herb dressing, with a little bit of everything from my (small) herb garden

FF188E57A5374B58921108EC47B4F6E2-0000353053-0003566619-00800L-252AB21AE24C4154B7BC1665793F27A4.jpg

• Advertisement

C'mon hullabaloo. Let's be havin' ye...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

So, I baked some bread and made some soup last night for a starter.

Nothing better than crunchy, crusty and soft homemade sesame brown soda bread with some veggie soup. (Recipes below.)

Brown bread straight from oven:

307140.jpg

Soup & sandwich:

307141.png

For the sesame brown soda bread:
    350g wholemeal flour;
    125g plain white flour;
    1 1/2 tsp salt;
    1 tsp baking soda/bicarbonate of soda/sodium bicarbonate;
    20g Sesame seeds
    Buttermilk.

Measure the wholemeal flour into a large mixing bowl. Sieve the white flour, salt and baking soda. (Sieving all of these is important.) Add the sesame seeds and mix well.

Make a well in the middle and slowly add buttermilk. Mix thouroughly while adding buttermilk. Once the mixture starts coming together, stop pouring buttermilk and mix well. At this point, you want the mixture to be only just held together by the buttermilk.

Once you can form a ball of well-mixed but still quite dry dough, add more buttermilk, a splash at a time. After each splash, combine the dough and milk. Repeat until the dough is a soft but consistent mixture. It should on the border of coming away from the bowl in one piece but still quite sticky (if that makes any sense at all!) Roll in some flour into a round loaf shape. Cut a cross (about 1/3-1/2 deep). I sprinkle some extra sesame seeds into the cross for looks and a bit more sesame taste.

Bake at about 200C (my own oven is broken but I think that's in or around the temperature) for 45-55 minutes. Test the bread is done by turning it upside-down and tapping the bottom, looking for a hollow sound.

Most people tell you to let the bread cool totally before slicing but I cannot wait that long and there's nothing better than this bread still oven-warm with butter and a bowl of soup.

Right, this post is dragging out a bit so if anyone wants the soup recipe, let me know. It's a handy way of using up veggies that are...well, a bit beyond putting in a fresh salad.

@hullabaloo - feel free to pop your soup recipe in the Souper Soups thread. ;)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

@hullabaloo - feel free to pop your soup recipe in the Souper Soups thread. ;)
    Cheers, looks like the recipe is more or less covered with the 6m posts on how to make vegetable soup in that thread. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I had sausages, coleslaw cheese and red sauce in a roll, heart attack lunch :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

aldi mediterranean wraps with mature cheddar crumbled on one half and ham and salami (under the grill till the cheese melts) on the other, then add fresh onion and mixed leaves with a squirt of mayo before folding in half and devouring. :)

i was going to take a pic, but it was on a crappy plastic plate (dishwasher time!) and i was too hungry to wait. :D

After my hearty breakfast, I went for diced apple, pear, kiwi & plum mixed with a pot of cereal yoghurt. Felt a little less guilty.

Today was a sandwich made with Zopflibrot (a lovely egg-washed plaited white bread) with tuna, egg & pickled gherkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I had smoked salmon, poached eggs and brown bread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

A quick fish and chips, salmon and posh chips, three time... and nothing added .. just for a change.

6KS3MT.gif

I had a late start today, so it was a big bowl of bircher muesli for lunch. * felt righteous *

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Home-made pizza bagels the other day:

Spread some tomato puree on each bagel, topped with cherry tomatoes, scallion, torn ham, grated cheese and a sprinkle of herbs, grilled until cooked:

2cpezc2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ham salad from the other day:

2illbbr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Thai green curry soup and no it's not left overs from last night dinner.....chicken stock rice coconut garlic coriander lemon grass lime onion milk

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

w0nb6p.jpg

Potato skins with mozzarella, cheddar, franks sauce and spring onions with some sour cream. Tasted a lot better than it looks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Homemade scones with cheddar and chutney. Then about 6 coffees because I was trying out my new espresso machine. I'm a bit jittery now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Pic from earlier on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Missed breakfast, so had crepes for lunch. Huge improvement on yesterday, when I had crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

It's a bank holiday here in the UK so I had a lazy girls lunch of large butter croissants stuffed with thick sliced ham, scallions and three cheeses....gouda, mozzerella and applewood smoked cheddar. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

A very uninspired ham and egg salad.

m9a6ia.jpg

It really hit the spot.

Looks great. I have hardly any food in the apartment because I was due to fly home today for the long weekend (plans changed unfortunately :(). Alas it is a holiday here today & all the shops are shut, so I had to make do with a whole Galia melon & a cup of coffee. Luckily, I've been invited to friends for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Going for a little drive so we stopped by a fruit stall to stock up on snacks. It's literally a drive-through. Roll down the car window and point, weighed and pay.
    2014-05-30%2012.04.53_zps6tayoyui.jpg

This is only a small section of the massive selection stall.
    So for lunch on the go we had mangoes, Mandarins, Rose apples (seen here on the front left. Tastes nothing of apples but delicious in their own right) and a bunch of longans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mmmm had a wander around a fruit market yesterday too.
    Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Prawn and asparagus scrambled eggs

FD627128C4354526B5C4308F0F82ED83-0000353053-0003576100-00800L-9DEB48271B1F4B1EB14B022F1B913726.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Had a yummy salmon and alfalfa sandwich on yummy toasted multiseed bread from 147 Deli.

Advertisement