Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roast ham roll with egg, tomato, scallion, cucumber & rocket salad. And a cuppa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Finally got to 147 Deli for a sandwich, got the '147 Cheese Steak' which is onions braised in port, rare roast beef, gruyere and dressed rocket salad. It was a Very Good Sandwich Indeed, I couldn't swear I wasn't making little oinking noises eating it

92c52ed8-1f09-405f-a944-f7d7b88918ce_zps931620e0.jpg

Wish I worked a little closer, it would make such a nice work lunch treat instead of only really being able to get here on rare days off

Yesterday, a pal treated me to lunch in Della Casa which is one of my favourite restaurants here in Bern. They are doing a special on organic Irish Black Angus beef at the moment & I went for the ribeye with a salad.

I got distracted when ordering & never got to specify that I wanted mine medium-rare. When it came out it had been done blue. I tucked in regardless. I have to say that it was the most 'beefy' meat I have had in years. It was truly delicious. It was so flavoursome it was almost 'gamey'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Really simple but tasty hangover lunch, smoked salmon with dill on nutty brown loaf. Veeery satisfying in my semi-delicate state.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Lunch yesterday: sirloin steak with chips and salad - 14.95 in Beeftro in Dundrum. It was really, really excellent. Will be back.

Today, in quite the fragile, hungover state: Brunch in San Lorenzos. It was excellent. Crab cakes, with pecan pie for dessert. Next time, definitely getting ham hock cakes, absolutely fab.

6 hours later, and I'm not hungry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had brunch today in Liberty Grill - crab cake hollandaise - delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

leahyl wrote: »
    Had brunch today in Liberty Grill - crab cake hollandaise - delish!

I miss Liberty Grill. :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I had a better-than-expected lunch at Westport Festival on Sunday:

festival-lunch.jpg

There was a cookery demonstration tent in the Food & Wine village, and we went to see Derry Clarke (of l'Ecrivain) on Saturday and Ross Lewis (of Chapter One) on Sunday. For whatever reason, Norah Casey picked me out of the crowd for the chef's table, so I got to eat Kelly's black pudding, lamb sweetbreads, braised peas, a poached egg, hollandaise sauce and an onion consommé.

That's a helluva lot better than the tea, toast with Russian honey (from a friend's grandad's hive) & Bircher muesli that I had today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's a helluva lot better than the tea, toast with Russian honey (from a friend's grandad's hive) & Bircher muesli that I had today.

Bircher muesli again!
    How does something exist for over a hundred years and I've never heard of it. I come across it (in real life) and suddenly everyone on boards is talking about it?
    Where was it hiding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I read that as "toast with the Russian honey". :pac:

I watched the Swiss game last night with my pal whose grandad has the hive, & also his darling wife who is a real Russian honey. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Made a slightly modified version of Sparks pulled pork. Had a sandwich with it today. Oh dear god it was beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Business lunch, whirebair starter, batter a lovely golden bron, fresh and crisp.. followed by sea bass, whole fish, head and spine,,, nicely presented slight char to the skin and delicate taste... salad, and.. The only thing photographed.. tiramisu

5zhqb7.jpg

It would be nice to have an official, accepted and approved cersion of " tiramisu".. very close but a lack of ... hmmm amaretto or similar...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Strawberries and blueberries with natural yogurt. I mixed the yogurt with lemon juice, honey and fresh mint and it was yum.

berriesnyogurt_zpsf7ef1988.jpg

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Simple but delicious - Grilled ham, cheese and tomato on sourdough bread.

I finished this off with a blow torch to get the caramelised chewy cheese on top with melty cheese underneath. A good squeeze of American mustard really suited this but English mustard would be just as good if you're into that!

313366.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Fish finger sandwich (cod goujons, caper mayonnaise, little gem lettuce om thick toasted white bread)

4F0FA567-C60D-4ECC-81CD-444B205BEFCA_zpsuyqgvn2x.jpg

Bit of a freezer clear out going on to make space for ice pops, etc. So having turkey-giblet soup that I made at Christmas. :)

Himself got a new cookbook called The Flavour Bible, which suggests all sorts of interesting flavour combinations. First meal inspired by it today; melon, feta & mint salad. Really really delicious and super refreshing. I wanted more!

melonfetasalad_zps2bc7afc3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Falafel sandwich from Umi on Dame Street. I've never had falafel before, and it was delicious! Served in a pitta with lots of fresh herbs, tomato, and chilli sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

KFC :)
    Hadn't had it in ages and it was delicious.

I love it. I never know what to choose, so usually end up getting everything & making a pig of myself. However, I only have it maybe once a year when I get to a clean outlet. Most of them are a bit manky compared to other fast food places.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was freshly cooked and even the chips were crisp - I think the secret is to go at a busy time so it's moving quickly. We have it only a couple of times a year and happily stuff our faces :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

A small indoor picnic, the proper picnic was cancelled due to the rain.

D215551D876844E7835D515BCB3B49F9-0000353053-0003602459-00800L-FFB6B74D0D0F4A42B98DAFAD172DF685.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Falafel sandwich from Umi on Dame Street. I've never had falafel before, and it was delicious! Served in a pitta with lots of fresh herbs, tomato, and chilli sauce.

I love this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

emc2 wrote: »
    I love this place.

I think it makes a great alternative to a burrito, which is usually what I'd go for if I was in town and wanted a quick bite to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Very similar to last nights dinner (see dinner thread :-) ) but with Indian spiced salmon this time

43D2E3B7483F48DA9F954511993B1F60-0000353053-0003611579-00800L-7AA503F0819742EFA0BEC90BA93D6A00.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Had a Banh Mi for the first time - from Urban Lunchbox on Bolton St - it was absolutely amazing.

2 hot boiled eggs mushed up with butter and salt. Salad with honeydew melon, strawberries, feta & mint. Cup o' tea.

lunch_zpsa518a321.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

^^^ I think that salad was mentioned on Newstalk during the week. The lads were raving about how refreshing the feta was with the melon!

Advertisement