Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Today I had a brunch type lunch I made for a friend after a glorious run in the Phoenix Park. It was smoked coley and sweet potato fish cakes with poached eggs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Brunch today. Southern buttermilk biscuits, white gravy, Cajun home fries, fried eggs sunny side up and two sausages. Delicious! Although the sausages weren't great, but I've come to accept that meat here is just never going to be a patch on Irish meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last week in Iyer's, Cork.
    Kuzhi Paniyaram. Sourdough dumplings that are seasoned with chilli, ginger, onion, carrots & curry leaves and shallow fried in a special pan.

5bwdqy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A tub of own brand Creamy tomato and basil soup from SuperValu. Was pleasantly surprised to discover it was delicious! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ham & egg salad sandwiches. Just gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A gourmet Club bagel from Centra, I got it toasted and it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Smoked salmon and sweet potato frittata slice with rocket lettuce and some Ballymaloe relish. Yum Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Lunch was cheese & garlic mushrooms, beans, smoked streaky bacon and toast. Delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Tuna and feta salad with red onion, olive oil and balsamic dressing. I could eat this everyday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Turkey, Rocket & Mayo on wholemeal brown & Tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made a white lasagna filled with mushroom and spinach. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Made a white lasagna filled with mushroom and spinach. Yum!
    Any chance you'd post the recipe for this please? It sounds yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Venison salad with homemade brown bread,not worth the effort ):

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Any chance you'd post the recipe for this please? It sounds yummy!

It's based on this recipe, but I halved the cream and switched it to single. The amount of cheese was enough to make the sauce rich.

McCarthy's black pudding with pickled ginger seaweed salad and a bit of Frank's hotsauce.

Fantastic combination!

5Fn6np.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I was..well this morning was the morning after my Christmas party and I was in need of starchy carbs and a lot of water, read from that what you will about what I got up to last night. So we went to the Ugly Duckling in the Epicurean in Dublin for medicinal sandwiches.

We both had the 'Brisket' (sorry tBRevolu!!), slow cooked brisket, gravy & onion rings on a soft white roll. It was just awe inspiring. His sandwiches and portions are just huge. 2 thumbs up, definitely worth popping into if you are in Dublin and want an enormous tasty sandwich. Also when my boyfriend asked what was in the pulled pork he gave us a 'taste'. Which would be dinner for someone anywhere else.

IMAG0006_zpsgxylr4fs.jpg

IMAG0007_zps95wmyhow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Sliced baguette with wild smoked salmon and smoked sun-dried tomato tapenade.
    Christmas is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Oh wow MissFlitworth. I'd kill for that sandwich now, I too am in a slightly delicate state after last night

Sandwich made with toasted bread (different from toasted sandwich!), turkey slices, sliced, salted tomato, avocado mashed with lemon juice and salt and a little mayo. And a Christmas Carry On binge, good old ITV3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tesco microwaveable wholegrain rice mixed in with Cully & Sully tomato and basil soup. Probably not the best thing in the world for me, but damned tasty, filling, and I have happy belly for the afternoon now.

ETA: if it's not straying too far into the realm of food safety can anyone advise me on the best way to store leftover rice? I love mixing it with soups and stews for lunch and would prefer to bring my own wholegrain/wild mix than to pay for reheatable ones from shops but I've always been told that you can't reheat or store cooked rice or the demons of Gastroenteritis will possess your lower intestine.

• Advertisement

I won't talk about specific food stuffs and their safe handling but I can't think of any commonly eaten food that after cooking can't be cooled, refrigerated for a few days and then reheated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Think rice is a bit different though and as recognised as particularly bad for causing food poisoning, though few people ever suspect it as the culprit!

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Think rice is a bit different though and as recognised as particularly bad for causing food poisoning, though few people ever suspect it as the culprit!

I have no view on what other people do or what other people are going to do but I will say that I regularly cool, refrigerate and reheat rice without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I have no view on what other people do or what other people are going to do but I will say that I regularly cool, refrigerate and reheat rice without any problems.

I think a day max refrigeration for rice is the advice, according to the NHS anyway. The official advice probably errs on the side of caution but I guess you only need to get food poisoning once for it to be too much, no matter how many times you did something before. With rice, the bacteria in question forms spores which are more difficult to kill off as they are hardy buggers. They also have a short generation time seemingly, so multiple very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I cooked a chicken yesterday so made a chicken salad today. I need healthy food back in my system. It was very tasty :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Delicious home made cheeseburger for lunch, loaded with salad, ketchup and mayo, on a toasted brioche bun.

4r9jwy.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Brunch today was a mound of potato cubes fried with onions. We had it with grilled sausages, tomatoes, white pudding and fried eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Smoked salmon salad - really wanted something fresh!

A salad bowl of hummus, tuna & spinach leaves sprinkled with chili flakes. Apple and banana. Hello January!! Not nearly as lovely as yesterday's lunch, a Mars Bar, or Saturday's lunch of this awesome club 'sandwich' from the Ugly Duckling (deep fried chicken, big thick slice of bacon heated on the grill, fried egg, cheese and various salady things, all served in a bun) Not a first date sandwich. My boyfriend now knows what I'd look like if I was a boa constrictor trying to fit an eggy goat in my craw.

4c5094d7-fdf4-4bd1-b0a4-51a8081180b5_zpsb44d3731.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I made Sweet Potato curry soup. It was yummy and very easy to make. I would have taken a pic but my Dad would have thought me weird! :pac:

Advertisement