Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's just as well I liked it or I'd be well peed off after the effort of cutting the BNS.

I can predict that one day I will have 4.5 fingers or a large chunk missing from the side of my hand and the reason for this will be cutting butternut squash. Tricky, tricky gourd. And don't get me started on peeling it. Tasty, though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

I can predict that one day I will have 4.5 fingers or a large chunk missing from the side of my hand and the reason for this will be cutting butternut squash. Tricky, tricky gourd. And don't get me started on peeling it. Tasty, though :)

That's why I buy frozen butternut squash :)

That's why I buy frozen butternut squash :)

Fab! Where can you buy frozen butternut squash?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

kylith wrote: »
    A stew of leftover ham hock, red lentils, green lentils, and pearl barley. Looks like dishwater, tastes delish. I think I'll beef up the rest of it with some more carrots and peas when I get home.

Sounds quite like scotch broth - I always make it with leftover ham. That's got shredded cabbage added towards the end. It looks awful, you could trot a mouse across it but it's a very hearty meal and tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sounds quite like scotch broth - I always make it with leftover ham. That's got shredded cabbage added towards the end. It looks awful, you could trot a mouse across it but it's a very hearty meal and tastes great.

I'll stick some cabbage with it when I'm reheating it next. Thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement

I'm turning into the most ridiculous person who ever did find themselves at a roughly €10 per day coffee/scone and lunch spend thinking '€4.95 for a sandwich is practically reasonable, much cheaper than a tray of sushi!' so today I marched myself into Tesco and made myself buy staples to do me for lunches and snacks for the week. Ham/cheese/pickle/mustard sandwich, handful of nuts, apple, chocolate rice cakes.

Now to keep the willpower strong when the burrito monkey is on my shoulder on Thursday...

Chilless con Carne and a quesadilla today. Mucho Gusto.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm turning into the most ridiculous person who ever did find themselves at a roughly €10 per day coffee/scone and lunch spend thinking '€4.95 for a sandwich is practically reasonable, much cheaper than a tray of sushi!' so today I marched myself into Tesco and made myself buy staples to do me for lunches and snacks for the week. Ham/cheese/pickle/mustard sandwich, handful of nuts, apple, chocolate rice cakes.

Now to keep the willpower strong when the burrito monkey is on my shoulder on Thursday...

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/03/31/woman-at-work-with-packed-lunch-also-brought-in-smug-sense-of-superiority/ :D

AhAHaha :D That's absolutely me!
    “God, I just don’t think I could even eat a burger anymore, never mind this early in the day. Honestly, I don’t know how you do it,” Ciara observed as Daniel finished off his fast food lunch. Daniel then cursed in the direction of his coworker, but the word ‘b*tch’ was muffled by the presence of burger in his full mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Fab! Where can you buy frozen butternut squash?

I get mine in tesco's. You pay a little extra for them, but it's so worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Half rack of ribs from Rubys in Swords. I have a food baby :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

To make up for the shark fin I allegedly consumed yesterday, I was subjected to,okay, attended a vegan restaurant today.
    This one. Okay, so it's miles from anywhere, but you know what it looks like if you're 20+km south of Atami on the Izu peninsula!
    WP_001353_zps1bckwlkj.jpg

and here it is. I gave away the tempura mushrooms. And the thing on the bottom right is mushrooms too. Miso soup top left, the rest was veggies, incl spinach, lettuce and stuff like that. The buns were fresh and soft.

WP_001342_zps9mkbaamg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Turnip is another one. My granny loved turnip, it made me sad when she got too old to be able to cut up a turnip by herself. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I've never had butternut squash before so I picked one up today in the supermarket and made a BNS and sweet potato soup with some carrot, onion, garlic and chilli powder. It's so yummy! It's just as well I liked it or I'd be well peed off after the effort of cutting the BNS.
    I'm a bit late to this, but a tsp or two of ground cumin & coriander added when sweating the veg for this will give the finished real depth & an added 'zing'. The juice of an orange would also be a surprisingly good addition. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Wonton bag with noodles from Thai Garden Galway and a sample of OH Dough Bros spicey sausage pizza at Galway food festival. Stuffed still

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Kolkata Chaap with chicken and veg made with a spice mixture from Green Saffron, with basmati rice. A bit complicated to make, but lovely; well balanced flavourse. Enough left for a lunch. Yum.

Today, I finally had okonomiyaki.
    Photos to follow when I get a chance.
    It did not disappoint!

Okay, so I bought a new camera. All the better to photograph food with, eh! But this here is with my cr@ppy phone still. It'll give you an idea. We didn't sit at the counter, side by side where we could have seen el maestro at work but at a table. Okay, no problem. I just got up and took photos of the chef at work anyway!

WP_001543_zpsncrbqv2f.jpg

I had beef with leek and fried noodles. And the egg was thoroughly fried which I prefer. I don't like the raw egg effect at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Finally settled into a new house. Hosted Easter lunch plus the kids' double birthday celebration. Spring leg of lamb marinated overnight in garlic, lemon, thyme and paprikurrrrr, served simply with buttery mash, steamed carrots & peas, with lots of gravy. The best piece of meat I've cooked in years.
    However, the highlight of the day was the birthday cake. My cousin in Australia had made and posted The Gruffalo characters cake toppers as a gift. The details were immaculate. I made the reliable BBC easy chocolate cake that although tasted beautiful, just didn't do the toppers justice with my crappy frosting skill. But kids were happy and that's all that matters :D

IMG_20150405_182041_zpsdde448tf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

^^^ Fantastic cake decorations Mrs Fox! Health, happiness and prosperity to you and the Foxes in the new abode!

Had the older and wisers over for lunch with the clan today

New season leg of lamb roasted with mashed spuds and some roast spuds. Julienne carrots and spiced red cabbage served as sides.

Raspberry flan by the firstborn was served as desert and we ended with some glorious cheese from the in laws along with tea and coffee. Nice time had

Happy Easter all!

Not for lunch today, but will be tomorrow; roast cauliflower soup. By the hokey, it's only gorgeous!

• Advertisement

Mrs Fox the cake looks amazing!!

Lunch today was wild boar terrine with crusty bread. Except Simpleton McGee here forgot that 'terrine' nearly always equals 'liver' (which I just cannot develop a taste for) so I had crusty bread & butter and bartered for bits of other people's slow cooked beef with terrine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Good luck in your new home Mrs. Fox.

We went to Fallon & Byrne for lunch yesterday and it never fails to disappoint, I just love it. We dined in the Wine Cellar. Baby Merkin had his bottle of milk. Mr. Merkin had a really sublime duck confit on a bed of Savoy cabbage, bacon and green lentils on a deliciously rich jus. Washed down with some Shiraz from the barossa valley. I had a gorgeous cod and chorizo cassoulet with a lovely picpoul de pinet. Lemon tart to finish. One of our favourite places to eat in town! Top quality food at really reasonable prices.

Chicken korma, using one of those Erin pots. Absolutely lush. I spent ages picking the chillis out of the spice mix last night and threw in 125ml of cream.

Won't be getting it again though, I've decided to try avoid palm oil where possible and it's a main ingredient in the spice paste.

To appease the conscientious objectors (I'm teasing, I'm teasing!!!) I chose the vegan option yesterday for lunch.
    I suppose people know about Kinkakuji, the gold pavilion? Well I went to its cheaper cousin the silver pavilion Ginkakuji and on the way up the hill near the start of Tetsugaku-no-michi (Path of Philosophy)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Tetsugaku_no_Michi_01.JPG

WP_001603_zpscfv9jbyx.jpg
    Dpon't know the name of the restaurant, it wasn't in English. There was an oknomiyaki place right at the start and it had a queue and I'm not one for queuing, so we proceeded along to this place.
    WP_001605_zpsfaounyfv.jpg
    It was quite nice. I gave the mushrooms away. There were pickled something in the dish to the right. It was suggested as aubergine but it was too crunchy.
    Tofu over rice. Delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I invested in a griddle pan today :D

Griddled chicken with mint and lime zest. Served with a good dose of mushed chickpeas. A recipe I borrowed from Donal Skehans youtube channel.

10557325_10206428864230357_146216421876833724_n.jpg?oh=cefe2053e4625b22cd5262354ed36a25&oe=55E526B0&__gda__=1436318688_a0d1055438762042c2be2073b73effb4

Toasted ham, cheese & pickle sandwich, handful of mixed nuts. I haven't bought lunch out in nearly 2 weeks now. GRANTED quite a bit of that was spent not in work but I've still given myself a solid pat on the back when no one in here was looking.

Lasagne soup, with some alterations, namely a whole bunch of vegetables that the original recipe doesn't call for. Am I the only one who puts a load of veg in lasagne?

Lasagne soup???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kylith wrote: »
    Am I the only one who puts a load of veg in lasagne?

Well a classic Bolognese ragu would have carrot, onion and celery in it so not that unusual.

• Advertisement

tampopo wrote: »
    Lasagne soup???

Yep. Basically start making a lasagne, then spill a load of stock into it.

Fry 1lb mince, set aside, fry onion and garlic (and if you're me carrots, courgette, baby corn and mange tout), add back in the mince, a can of chopped tomatoes, a can of peeled tomatoes, 1l chicken stock, 1tsp sugar, a beef stock cube, a whole load of whatever herbs you have handy (basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, bay), and 250g pasta (I used wholewheat fusilli this time, I usually use farfalle), season well (plenty of pepper), and a splosh of soy sauce doesn't hurt. Simmer for 20 minutes then add 1.25 cups shredded mozzarella, 0.5cup grated parmesan, and a tub of cottage cheese (the recipe calls for ricotta but Lidl didn't have any and cottage does just fine) and give it a good stir.

Eat and enjoy. Enough to feed an army.

Advertisement