Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    Yep. Basically start making a lasagne, then spill a load of stock into it.

Fry 1lb mince, set aside, fry onion and garlic (and if you're me carrots, courgette, baby corn and mange tout), add back in the mince, a can of chopped tomatoes, a can of peeled tomatoes, 1l chicken stock, 1tsp sugar, a beef stock cube, a whole load of whatever herbs you have handy (basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, bay), and 250g pasta (I used wholewheat fusilli this time, I usually use farfalle), season well (plenty of pepper), and a splosh of soy sauce doesn't hurt. Simmer for 20 minutes then add 1.25 cups shredded mozzarella, 0.5cup grated parmesan, and a tub of cottage cheese (the recipe calls for ricotta but Lidl didn't have any and cottage does just fine) and give it a good stir.

Eat and enjoy. Enough to feed an army.

:eek:
    I don't think I'd have a big enough pot to hold all this! But I can sort of see that it would be tasy.

I had a big bowl of salad (cos lettuce, tomatoes, mini mozzarella balls, avocado and basil) and some fresh crusty breat with homemade lentil and herb pate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shenshen wrote: »
    :eek:
    I don't think I'd have a big enough pot to hold all this! But I can sort of see that it would be tasy.

Yeah, you need a big pot! Damned tasty, although according to one of my colleagues it looks like a bowl of sick.

Baby potatoes, broccoli and asparagus in a little lemon butter. And some grilled halloumi.

Perfect spring dish, so suited to the sunshine outside :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Made some chilli hummus and had it with mini cucumbers.

• Advertisement

Roast cauliflower soup and bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Weetabix :( no food in house and stuck here for now. Even considered my daughters organic baby food for one mad second :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Feta, mushroom and spring onion omelette, avocado and side salad simply dressed with lime.

IMG_20150410_141704_zpsm2kmtaig.jpg

Thanks to you guys here who kept cropping up "flat iron" on the dinners thread, went to get some from Lidl yesterday to try it out.
    Fantastic piece of meat. Had it rare with homemade chimichurri, sauteed onion and mushroom, and salad.

IMG_20150411_131601_zpsrkh3ozoz.jpg

A small sub roll with Cornish Cruncher Balsamic Onion cheese, lettuce and tongue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Proper Croque Monsieur with béchamel sauce, ham and grated gruyère cheese. It seems a lot of trouble to make the béchamel sauce, but it was so worth it. Now I have a bit of the sauce left; going to try spanish croquettas tomorrow.

More scallops, pan fried in butter, squeeze of lemon at the end, and served with a nice wodge of crusty bread to mop up all that lovely lemony butter with.

Minder's Vietnamese roast chicken with lemongrass from the cooking club, served with quinoa and salad. Also made the chicken and spinach broth to go with it. So good.

IMG_20150412_150259_zpsjn2kucya.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Lasagne and chips for lunch today. Comfort food needed today. Delicious.

Mid afternoon snack of meats and cheeses, and some veggies as well.

photo_zpsdulopvtw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My first ever attempt at a poached egg:D
    (I've been funny about eggs for a long time - still not ready for a boiled egg:eek:)

Lovely free range, organic egg.
    Toast
    Serrano ham.
    Some tired parsley and wild garlic from yesterday's dinner.

Yumm

5kkTtF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm trying to get away from the sandwich/roll for lunches at work.

So last night I put together a shredded roast chicken salad with bok choi, cabbage, scallions, cucumber, & a bottle of dressing - lime juice, soy, rapeseed oil, chilli, ginger & sugar. Quite delicious even though I say so myself.

It was a big tub of food, but the lack of carbs still has me wanting something else now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

A quick two egg omelette with some chilli flakes, some frozen peas thrown into the mixture, finished under the grill with cherry tomatoes and feta on top. I could eat ten more.

Lasagne soup again today.
    I'm trying to get away from the sandwich/roll for lunches at work.

So last night I put together a shredded roast chicken salad with bok choi, cabbage, scallions, cucumber, & a bottle of dressing - lime juice, soy, rapeseed oil, chilli, ginger & sugar. Quite delicious even though I say so myself.

It was a big tub of food, but the lack of carbs still has me wanting something else now. :(
    Yeah, you need to eat a ridiculous amount of veg in order to get a full feeling. Some cheese or nuts might help. Popcorn is great too; makes you feel full but has almost no calories.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No matter how much I put into a salad, or what, I'm always hungry a few hours later. I had salad a couple of weeks ago that had loads of avocado and peanuts in it, and was relatively high in calories, and I was still starved after a couple of hours.

• Advertisement

Pho Ga - leftover from yesterday's Vietnamese roast chicken, and the broth flavoured with fish sauce and fresh lime, courgette noodles, herbs and chilli. Yum yum.

IMG_20150413_165343_zpsqbezz68r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Pho Ga - leftover from yesterday's Vietnamese roast chicken, and the broth flavoured with fish sauce and fresh lime, courgette noodles, herbs and chilli. Yum yum.
    ]

So Asian! The leg is the main event and the breast is leftovers!
    Just like our house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm never satisfied by a meal with no carbs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Popcorn is great too; makes you feel full but has almost no calories.

It has loads of calories! It's carbohydrate after all. A small bag has as much calories as a bag of crisps.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    It has loads of calories! It's carbohydrate after all. A small bag has as much calories as a bag of crisps.
    A 15g bag of Manhattan popcorn has 68 calories, and I'd find it quite filling. In contrast a 40g bag of Tayto has 206 calories.

Beef and bean chilli burrito, and the works.

IMG_20150414_142143_zpsgasupeak.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

A 15g bag of Manhattan popcorn has 68 calories, and I'd find it quite filling.

That's a tiny bag, your average one in Centra or wherever will be more like 150+ cals. A 15g bag wouldn't really be enough to substitute for the carbs you didn't have in your lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I find popcorn great, caus it takes forever to eat and I really think i've chowed down on something (also, i just love popcorn). For the same reason, an ice lolly (twister being my choice at 90 cal) is great as they take ages as well. Ice lolly probs not the best if you want something savoury though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Minder's Vietnamese roast chicken with lemongrass from the cooking club, served with quinoa and salad. Also made the chicken and spinach broth to go with it. So good.
    <picture snipped>

Any chance of recipe for the chicken

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

gjc, please don't quote pictures!

As per Mrs Fox's post, the recipe is by Minder and it's in the Cooking Club.

Advertisement