Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Faith wrote: »
    gjc, please don't quote pictures!

As per Mrs Fox's post, the recipe is by Minder and it's in the Cooking Club.

For everyone out there .. I put up a post every 2 months or so ....every time I get somebody snipping back.... I'm outta here for good ... Mrs fox you're going to get my last few words .... My last meal would be yours as always it looks delicious ! Many thanks to my foodie friends !!! xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    That's a tiny bag, your average one in Centra or wherever will be more like 150+ cals. A 15g bag wouldn't really be enough to substitute for the carbs you didn't have in your lunch.
    It does me alright, but YMMV. A Centra bag is 30g and I'd see it as two portions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

gjc wrote: »
    For everyone out there .. I put up a post every 2 months or so ....every time I get somebody snipping back.... I'm outta here for good ... Mrs fox you're going to get my last few words .... My last meal would be yours as always it looks delicious ! Many thanks to my foodie friends !!! xxx

gjc - sorry to see you go but 'no pic quoting' is in the thread title in caps and where the recipe was was in Mrs Fox's post. Faith just pointed that out to you, to show you where to find it. That's not snipping at you. We ask everyone not to quote pictures & some of your posts have been edited to remove them so the Mods just wanted to properly bring it to your attention so that you could stop doing it, we ask people not to so that it makes the thread easier to read for people on mobile.

edit: apols gjc, I said lots of your posts quote pics & I should have said 'some'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Cheese on toast with pickles and dijon. With WAY too much dijon. I (rather sadly) pride myself on my ability to handle lots of heat but I need to stop shovelling the mustard onto sandwiches because it shouldn't hurt to eat lunch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Cheese on toast with pickles and dijon. With WAY too much dijon. I (rather sadly) pride myself on my ability to handle lots of heat but I need to stop shovelling the mustard onto sandwiches because it shouldn't hurt to eat lunch.

I love mustard too but often can't handle the heat, so lately I've been lashing American mustard onto all my sandwiches. It's amazing, even on salad sandwiches :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've become obsessed with English mustard on steak and on ham sandwiches, but I hate when the heat gets up the back of your nose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I got a mustard in M&S years ago and not only did it blow the head off me, gave me awful headaches whenever i had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm the very same with those sliced green jalapenos that you get in jars.
    I LOVE them; the vinegaryness, the crunch, the heat...so I throw lots of them in fajitas and in chillies.
    I had to stop when I was starting to add them to sandwiches and the heat was getting too intense :o

I had one of those John West Steam Pots today; the Chilli and Garlic one.
    Only ate half. It was too garlicky..way too overpowering.
    Disappointing.

I'll go back to making my own steam pots, which (for anyone interested who is a fan of those Steam Pots) is so simple to make and much cheaper.

I get one of those packets of couscous from Aldi (they're only 79c), make it up, then add in a tin of tuna.
    Tastes nicer and much cheaper :)

Mushroom and brie soup with crusty white bread.

I have a happy belly now. It may not look appetising, but it sure is tasty.

• Advertisement

A wholemeal sandwich with lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomato, scallion and this gorgeous Limerick Crumbed Ham from Aldi.
    I'm so fussy about ham, but I love this one!
    Also had a cup of home-made minestrone soup :)

Beef and bean burritos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Dill smoked salmon fillet, king prawns, last night's salad and white sauce from the cooking club's Lamb doner.

IMG_20150417_131339_zpsiw2twee_edit_1429273347537_zpszbzplavd.jpg

Spicy duck broth from a pub in Swords. It was delish :)

I had a mixed salad of lettuce, spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, scallion, red and green peppers, sweetcorn, Limerick Ham from Aldi, little slivers of smoked cheese...and avocado.
    Twas my first time tasting avocado and I HATED it.

It's probably 'cos I don't like creamy things, but the texture was awful and the earthy taste was just bleurgh.
    Scraped it onto other half's plate.

jaewet.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Omelette made with 4 eggs, shredded mozzarella (30g), spring onion and red kidney beans with black pepper. Avacado on the side

345601.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A ham and cheese sandwich on chia bread and a bowl of vegetable and lentil soup that I made with leftover roasted vegetables. Very nice.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I had a mixed salad of lettuce, spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, scallion, red and green peppers, sweetcorn, Limerick Ham from Aldi, little slivers of smoked cheese...and avocado.
    Twas my first time tasting avocado and I HATED it.

It's probably 'cos I don't like creamy things, but the texture was awful and the earthy taste was just bleurgh.
    Scraped it onto other half's plate.
    I thought i was the only person who hated avocado. Everyone else seems to love it.

Tilly wrote: »
    I thought i was the only person who hated avocado. Everyone else seems to love it.

Not a huge fan, but they are super healthy and go ok with eggs

Tilly wrote: »

I know!
    I'm trying to eat a bit healthier and everyone's been raving about avocado so I thought I'd buy some, but Jesus it was vile.
    And I like nearly all fruit and veg.

• Advertisement

I know!
    I'm trying to eat a bit healthier and everyone's been raving about avocado so I thought I'd buy some, but Jesus it was vile.
    And I like nearly all fruit and veg.

Mix Avocado, Mayo and Tuna together, super healthy and barely taste the avocado

Mix Avocado, Mayo and Tuna together, super healthy and barely taste the avocado

Mayo is number 1 on the list of foods I despise.

Mayo is number 1 on the list of foods I despise.

Ha ha, ok so replace that with Natural yoghurt

Ha ha, ok so replace that with Natural yoghurt

Then it'd be creamy. I don't do creamy.
    I know, I'm a lost cause :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I thought avocados were high calories, how come they're healthy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Good fats

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They've always been healthy. High calorie, but that's because they're high in good fats that are nutritionally beneficial. Like walnuts and flaxseed. High calorie count isn't always a bad thing when the food is really good for you.

Nuts are high in calories too, still super healthy...

100g of Avocado has
    160 kCals
    15g of Fat(Which are Essential for our bodies to function)
    9g of Fibre(Something a lot of people fail to eat enough of)
    Contains all the Essential Amino Acids

26% RDA of Vitamin K
    20% RDA Folic Acid
    14% RDA Potassium(Deficiency of which is now being linked with Cause of High Blood Pressure, not salt)
    10% RDA Magnesium(2nd most common micro nutrient deficiency in the developed world)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Nothing wrong with high calories. High cholesterol on the other hand...

I love avocados as they are or in smoothies but not guacamole. I never really took to it. They're fine if put in front of me, I'd eat it, but not something I'd make/order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yummy smoked salmon salad :) rocket and lamb's lettuce, red peppers and lots of lemon juice
    With a couple of Ryvitas (oh the excitement!)
    http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dee-mc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/IMAG0831_zpslmbnrmgx.jpg.html

Advertisement