Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tilly wrote: »
    I thought i was the only person who hated avocado. Everyone else seems to love it.

I don't really mind the taste but the texture is awful. It's all slimy.

I quite like guacamole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Warning: sexist comment coming......

What is it with women and food textures? I have two ladies here that are always going on about hating this texture or that! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

What is it with women and food textures? I have two ladies here that are always going on about hating this texture or that! :rolleyes:

Ah that's not just women is it? I know a guy who's obsessed with mushrooms being 'slimy', just as one example!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

That's certainly not just the ladies. I've got a husband here who refuses to eat most kinds of fruit on the basis that they've got a texture like eyeballs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Us men are very sensitive about balls....... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yeah, I'm not good with slimy/creamy/mushy substances.
    Twas embarrassing when I was in a restaurant recently with my other half and my meal was presented with a white sauce.

I had asked for no sauce and when the waiter came to take it away, my other half said "She doesn't like anything creamy in her mouth".
    I could have killed him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Considering it's a major component of food, I'd be very surprised by anyone whose palate was so unrefined that they didn't notice different textures :confused:. Disliking a texture is no different to disliking a flavour, and it's certainly not exclusive to women! I think most people have textures that they don't really enjoy eating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Faith wrote: »
    Considering it's a major component of food, I'd be very surprised by anyone whose palate was so unrefined that they didn't notice different textures :confused:. Disliking a texture is no different to disliking a flavour, and it's certainly not exclusive to women! I think most people have textures that they don't really enjoy eating.

I don't like the texture of most smoked salmon. But I like the taste of smoked salmon. So I eat it and grit my teeth (metaphorically, obviously)

katydid wrote: »
    I don't like the texture of most smoked salmon. But I like the taste of smoked salmon. So I eat it and grit my teeth (metaphorically, obviously)

I do that with mushrooms :)

Have you tried barbecued salmon? Same flavour, totally different texture. The Burren Smokehouse do an excellent one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

dee_mc wrote: »
    Have you tried barbecued salmon? Same flavour, totally different texture. The Burren Smokehouse do an excellent one.

Well, I've had hot smoked salmon (even made some myself with a biscuit tin and woodchips on the kitchen stove) - is that what you mean by barbecued?

Well, I've had hot smoked salmon (even made some myself with a biscuit tin and woodchips on the kitchen stove) - is that what you mean by barbecued?

I'm not sure what the difference is to be honest, I suppose it must be hot smoked as it has a drier consistency if that makes sense? It's yummy anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I too like the flavour of smoked salmon but not the texture - I get round this by making smoked salmon pate, which is fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I had galangal that badly needed to be used and the last of king prawns so I made Tom Yum Gung for lunch, spicy but light, zingy and refreshing.

IMG_20150418_130726_zpsjf272oco.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Two crab and cod cakes with two poached eggs and hollandaise.

Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chrome342

Beef brocolli. Yumm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just made a prawn and avocado salad, 'twas lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

<3 your oilcloth Merkin!

Today was a ham, cheese, red onion & tomato sandwich. Week 3 of bringing my own lunch to work. I was fudging around with a calculator whilst waiting for a friend to meet me at the cinema a week or so ago and figured between 1 work lunch out a week with wine (around €22 every time) and spending in the region of €5-8 per day on lunch and possibly also breakfast I would blow at least €1600 on lunch this year. So I'm even more committed now to stopping being a profligate tit wafting around Dublin 2 firing my cash at the various snackmongers here every work day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

If I don't or can't pop home for lunch, I get soup + salad in the canteen for between 3 and 4 Euro. I know it adds up quickly but I think that's great value for a tasty, filling lunch.

Lasagne soup day :D

• Advertisement

If I don't or can't pop home for lunch, I get soup + salad in the canteen for between 3 and 4 Euro. I know it adds up quickly but I think that's great value for a tasty, filling lunch.

That seems ok to me! I know I can't get my spend for lunch to nothing but trying to keep it below €20 a week rather than the genuinely insane €50ish it is at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Leftover canelloni, with a big tomato and basil salad on the side.
    I've got those green and red tomatoes from Lidl, they are seriously yum :)

Cully & Sully tomato soup with pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Little triangle catered sandwiches at a work meeting. My little guilty pleasure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Ooh I love me a little triangular sandwich.

Today I had quiche for lunch. It was great.

Garlic mushroom tacos for lunch today. Tasty, but they were spoiled by the cafeteria staff attempting to majorly overcharge me. I know it can be hard when there's a rotating special every day, but you'd think the staff would be briefed enough to know when the price that flashes up is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Banana + peanut butter sandwich on (Soul Bakery) spelt bread, pan-toasted, with the obligatory butter-on-the-outside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Feta, Greek yogurt, rosemary and candied hazelnut spread on Fallon & Byrne rye bread:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/13/spread-recipes-feta-hazelnut-and-rosemary-crunch

My eyes were bigger than my belly - only ate half this :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pulled pork/coleslaw sandwich in The Bridge in Ballsbridge today. It was huge, I haven't been able to eat a thing since. My daughter had the steak sandwich and Mr. Dizzy had the full Irish.

• Advertisement

Cocoa pops french toast in San Lorenzo in Dublin. I have full force, malignant double diabetes with a side of gout afterwards but it was worth it!! Brioche french toast with salt caramel bananas, peanut butter, mascarpone whipped cream and chocolate & salt caramel sauce. I couldn't finish it and I a) was starving and b) am not known for my dainty appetite. If you like an OTT dessert brunch on occasion I can v. v. much recommend.

tOoCDgv.jpg

Advertisement