Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

kylith wrote: »
    Ha, snap! Feta and broad bean cous cous with lamb kofta.

Mine was decidedly meh though, A squeeze of lemon would probably have helped, but it's cheap, filling, and quick to cook.

I need something a little tart in cous cous, be it lemon or a tomato base or something to make it taste nice. Quite like the sounds of broad beans in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Just had some homemade veg soup. Perfect for a day like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Leftover savoury mince in brown pittas with salad and a wee bit of grated cheddar. And tea. Happeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

There was a street market near work today so had a wood fired oven pizza with pepperoni, olives and mushrooms. I would have loved to have had some anchovies on it but they had none. The pizza itself was lovely except they used really cheap grated mozzerala. I would have prefer to have the option to pay a bit more and get proper mozzerala.

Roast chicken salad. Was too hungry to take a pic :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Snacking on Vietnamese summer rolls and crudites with red pepper hummus.

IMG_20150520_133323_zpssx0x2k7w.jpg

Now Foxy, how much would you charge a week to feed me all your lovely food?

\I'd buy your cookbook - make one :)

Tilly wrote: »
    Now Foxy, how much would you charge a week to feed me all your lovely food?

\I'd buy your cookbook - make one :)

If I come out with a cookbook I'd have to heavily credit you lot from this forum :D

Cucumber 'sushi' - cucumber cored and stuffed with goat's cheese and dark tahini, carrot & pepper. Sprinkled with chia and served with pickled ginger and wasabi. Dessert was SUPPOSED to be mine banana topped with hazelnut butter and blueberries but the scallywags got to them first.

IMG_20150521_143813_zpsi1h1hmdx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

LOVE that cucumber sushi idea!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mrs Fox, I've never seen creativity like yours with such healthy food. I'm incredibly impressed. Where do you get your inspiration from? Is there anything you don't eat? Please tell me there's an easy to find cookbook that you use every day :D

Faith wrote: »
    Mrs Fox, I've never seen creativity like yours with such healthy food. I'm incredibly impressed. Where do you get your inspiration from? Is there anything you don't eat? Please tell me there's an easy to find cookbook that you use every day :D

Even better, it's free on the net!
    Instagram is full of ideas. I got this sushi idea from @mindovermunch.
    I just cut back (but not completely for the love of my sanity) dairy, bread, pasta, rice. I enjoy the 'forbidden' food more when I allow myself to have them every now and again. That brioche bun from Aldi the other night? The full on big fat slice if red velvet cake complete with full fat icing and sugar last week? Phwoaarrr... The ONLY thing I completely threw out was soda.

Lemon and parsley smoked mackerel quinoa kedgree, topped with more mackerel just because it's Friday, boiled egg, sprouts and squeeze of lemon to finish. Yum.

IMG_20150522_131953_zpsqlcitxbq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

After watching some vids on japanese broths I decided ther was nothing stopping me doing a simple one with a packet of rice seasoning I had no intension of using as intended. Some random meat and veg popped in with some soy suace.

A1 cup a soup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Noblong wrote: »
    After watching some vids on japanese broths I decided ther was nothing stopping me doing a simple one with a packet of rice seasoning I had no intension of using as intended. Some random meat and veg popped in with some soy suace.

A1 cup a soup. :)

I definitely read that as Japanese brothels first time around :D

Daughter had a fever so I made a big pot of clear chicken soup. Kept mine simple with sprouts, spring onion and chillies, a dish very similar to Soto.

IMG_20150523_144607_zpscap7xrfg.jpg

I've made Pad Thai from the Cooking Club many times, but today I replaced the flat rice noodles with strips of courgette and carrot, and added mushroom and cashews instead of peanuts.

IMG_20150524_143144_zpsiitrvmzj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Back on the salads today. Baby gem, smoked salmon, carrot, olives, mozzarella, raw broccoli, and tomato. Lidl's veg crisps for an afternoon snack if needed.

Warm duck salad, with glass noodles, sesame seeds and hoisin dressing, from The Courtyard Cafe in Castletown House.

IMG_20150525_190813_zpsqiv7q7bw.jpg

Roast tomato soup and a cheese toastie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Leftover falafel, big salad with baby tomatoes, cucumber, olives and cream cheese stuffed mini peppers. With a pitta and lots of houmous.

In short, chickpea overkill :D

The Spicy Pollo from the nice Argentinian sammidge place around the corner from my office. Pretty much covered head to toe in chipotle mayo now but worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sunday's lunch was fried smoked bacon cubes, poached eggs, toast, tomatoes and rocket.

6Hv9dJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Had lunch out today, ordered a carbonara, however it was nothing like carbonara and I ended up sending it back as it was inedible, so instead I had lasagne.

Not sure who decided to call the first dish carbonara as all it was was some fusilli, with a bit of bacon, slices of cold chicken, dodgy tasting cream, a dusting of green powder (not sure what it was) and a dusting of paprika. The whole dish had a sour taste and just wasn't edible. :(

Had lunch out today, ordered a carbonara, however it was nothing like carbonara and I ended up sending it back as it was inedible, so instead I had lasagne.

Not sure who decided to call the first dish carbonara as all it was was some fusilli, with a bit of bacon, slices of cold chicken, dodgy tasting cream, a dusting of green powder (not sure what it was) and a dusting of paprika. The whole dish had a sour taste and just wasn't edible. :(

The green powder was probably dried parsley.

I had a salad of lettuce, tomato, broccoli, courgette, mozzarella, olives, and prawns with a lemon and black pepper dressing.
    photo_zpslcufvxgq.jpg

Does anyone have a good low-calorie alternative to olive oil? It really bumps up the calories of a salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

kylith wrote: »
    The green powder was probably dried parsley
    I dunno, I have dried parsley and use it regularly, however this stuff was like green paprika, like dust, can you get dried parsley like that? I've only ever had it in little pieces (all dried) from Tesco etc.

I dunno, I have dried parsley and use it regularly, however this stuff was like green paprika, like dust, can you get dried parsley like that? I've only ever had it in little pieces (all dried) from Tesco etc.

The dust from the end of the jar maybe?

The only green powder I can think of would be matcha, but there is zero reason that would be anywhere near a pasta dish.

I made a loaf of vegan pumpkin bread theother day:

IMG_20150526_191127_zpsrylwi5nf.jpg

So yesterday I had it with Aldi's gravadlax, boiled egg and salad on top of the pumpkin slice.

IMG_20150527_143037_zpsqs1kzi14.jpg

Yesterday was grilled aubergine with chickpea, spinach, tomato and feta salad.

IMG_20150528_144348_zps92ynjrsv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Hmmmm Leberkase.

ILv4qgO5.1432897967.jpg

• Advertisement

Defrosted some potstickers/gyoza to have as a starter on Wednesday but they just didn't go with our main and also a giant bucket of pasta in a cream sauce does not lend itself to a starter, really. So, as I quite like cold doughy things, I made them up to bring in for lunch yesterday! It's probably not how it's done but I enjoyed a lot. Garlic was a bit forceful ("Trying to taste other things are you? Bit of ginger maybe? Some of that spring onion, hmmm? YEAH GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. FOR I AM LORD GARLIC. RULER OF THIS DUMPLING" sort of a thing) tasting though, not sure if that's because they were cold or frozen.

yKzss0m.jpg

Advertisement