Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Scrambled egg with avocado and toast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Boiled egg and avocado mixed together with red onion, cucumber and basil on a wholemeal wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

International food day at work - everyone brings a dish from their home country and we all share.

So I had some Spanish tortilla, some parmigiana di zucchine, some Russian salad and some of what I brought in, onion tart (Zwiebelkuchen).

And for dessert some Venezuelan caramel flan, some tiramisu and Corsican almond and rum cake.

I'll be rolling out to my car later....

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I went to Juniors Deli in Beggars Bush for lunch today, and had The Hero sandwich - ham, salami, provolone cheese, tomatoes & peppers in a ciabatta roll. Amazing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cream of tomato soup and one of my naan breads. I'd say I put too much garlic in the soup but we all know there's no such thing.

photo_zpslnx6raws.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I had leftovers from dinner - pork meatballs with pasta in a tomato, red pepper, onion and spinach sauce. With melty cheese on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

The rest of last nights chicken stir fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I made a cheesy broccoli and quinoa dish and oh my god it was so yummy. It's definitely now my favourite broccoli dish! It took about 20 minutes to make.

mix 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups of veggie broth, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
    In the meantime, chop up your broccoli.
    When the ten minutes is up or when you have fairly reduced the water, add the broccoli to steam for another 5 minutes.
    Then take off the lid and turn off the hob, add some paprika and/or other seasoning and your white cheddar cheese and stir. Put the lid back on for another 5 minutes.

Then eat and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I had some salmon and green veggies left over from last night's dinner, so I used them up in a crustless quiche topped with sliced tomato and cheddar.

quiche_zpsd4jikh5s.jpg

I ate a slice for lunch with a pile of romaine lettuce dressed in olive oil and balsamic reduction (both brought back from a lovely deli in Spain).

quiche2_zpslk3jkerm.jpg

Roast chickpeas, sweet potato, almonds, cranberries, spinach.

photo_zps4i6shyyc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Peppered hot smoked salmon, boiled egg & baby leaves.

IMG_20150813_131745_zpsyknljypu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Fresh soda bread, real butter, avocado, salmon & mozz with a sprinkle of salt. Followed by a wedge of St Bridget cheese, a chunk of Cais na Tire cheese and about a quarter of a Humming Bark eaten with some honey. So full but so good!

I used to hate cheese. :pac:

Made carrot and orange soup. It was nice, but a bit too sweet for my liking. I'll try it with cumin or coriander instead of orange next time. :)

Roast cauliflower and cheese soup. Threw some bits of ham in there too. Very tasty indeed.

Ham, cheese, chilli and spring onion quesadillas. Sooooo good, but next time I will double the amount of fillings. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

2 Superquinn sausages and a fried egg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

NOS3 wrote: »
    Ham, cheese, chilli and spring onion quesadillas. Sooooo good, but next time I will double the amount of fillings. :o

Quesidillas, now there's a good idea for lunch tomorrow. I have a packet of tortillas in the cupboard. Two tortillas enough for two people or would you suggest two per person? Never made them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

While I was over in England at the weekend I returned to my roots and bought a stock of Staffordshire Oatcakes for the freezer. They're a very local thing, pretty much unheard of outside of North Staffordshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_oatcake

I had two of them with bacon and cheese ... nyom :)

2hwohno.jpg

katydid wrote:
    Quesidillas, now there's a good idea for lunch tomorrow. I have a packet of tortillas in the cupboard. Two tortillas enough for two people or would you suggest two per person? Never made them before.

I would say 2 per person, Unless you are having something with it. Although i had 4 :o Just make sure you have enough filling. :) you don't want a lot of tortilla with only a small bit of filling.

NOS3 wrote: »
    I would say 2 per person, Unless you are having something with it. Although i had 4 :o Just make sure you have enough filling. :) you don't want a lot of tortilla with only a small bit of filling.

Thanks. I gathered that about the filling from your post. I have 4 tortillas left - used two for wraps, so that's perfect, we can have them with a bit of salad.
    I'll try to judge the filling.

Edit; made them for lunch today. Turned out great, except that I got the idea of putting some salsa on the tortillas before adding the cheese etc. so they were a bit drippy. Lesson learnt - keep the salsa OUTSIDE the quesadilla.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Not sure was it lunch or breakfast and my plate is actually green in colour :D
    That's curly kale wrapped in bacon with potatoes and fresh salad with herbs from my garden

iz98yd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

We were recently given a big ball of cheese for my boyfriend's birthday and it had been sitting in the fridge for ages, so I decided to use a chunk of it for cooking, made cheesey pasta with chicken and smoke cured bacon, it tasted quite fancy compared to the typical cheddar cheesy pasta I've made in the past. :pac: No picture, it looked like baby sick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Seafood cocktail. I saw someone have prawn cocktail on an episode of Come Dine With Me this morning and that was it, I was a goner and had to have it.

I poached some prawns and salmon and allowed to cool. The sauce is the usual mayo, ketchup, hot sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mixed leaves. Absolutely scrumptious.

Seafood_cocktail.jpg

Sunday lunch; smoked mackerel quiche with side salad. I go sick of making smoked mackerel paté, so found a simple recipe. The mackerel, chopped spring onions, and the usual cheese/egg/milk mixture. It needs the salad to add a bit of sharpness and contrast.

14130c9.jpg

Zieberles-Kaes - very, very local thing from back home, but having found quark in the Polish shop, I gave it a try. Not as creamy as home-made one, but probably a lot healthier for it.

It's essentially a type of curd, usually made by adding a touch of buttermilk to about a litre of raw milk and letting it sit somewhere warm for 2 days, then straining it through linen or cheesecloth and letting it drain for a few hours.
    For seasoning, I've stayed traditional : finely chopped spring onions, chives, pepper and salt.

On some toasted-up sourdough bread, with radishes and tomato. Felt a bit like home, the only thing missing was a big stein of fresh, cold beer to go with :D

A bowl of leftover mushroom soup. Still nice, but it seemed to have lost some of it's flavour since Saturday.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Zieberles-Kaes - very, very local thing from back home, but having found quark in the Polish shop, I gave it a try. Not as creamy as home-made one, but probably a lot healthier for it.

It's essentially a type of curd, usually made by adding a touch of buttermilk to about a litre of raw milk and letting it sit somewhere warm for 2 days, then straining it through linen or cheesecloth and letting it drain for a few hours.
    For seasoning, I've stayed traditional : finely chopped spring onions, chives, pepper and salt.

On some toasted-up sourdough bread, with radishes and tomato. Felt a bit like home, the only thing missing was a big stein of fresh, cold beer to go with :D
    They have quark in the speciality cheeses section of Supervalu. At least they had last week here in Waterford.

katydid wrote: »
    They have quark in the speciality cheeses section of Supervalu. At least they had last week here in Waterford.

They had it in Cork as well - I would stay away from that. I don't know what or how they did it, but when I tried it (at extortionate price), it was bitter and watery.
    I'd recommend getting it from a Polish shop if you can.

Shenshen wrote: »
    They had it in Cork as well - I would stay away from that. I don't know what or how they did it, but when I tried it (at extortionate price), it was bitter and watery.
    I'd recommend getting it from a Polish shop if you can.

Thanks for the warning. I was going to get it and make Quarktaschen as a surprise for hubby. Glad I didn't now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Brown pasta, cooked in a stock cube, added a table spoon of tomato puree, some cooking liquid and lots of roasted tomatoes and garlic with dried basil cause I killed my fresh plant.

Advertisement