Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Leftovers. Chorizo, peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, smoked paprika and lime tossed with brown rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It was honestly very very good :) The sour taste along with pickles and cheese (and corned beef, but I know you're a veggie) and a slightly sweet dressing is a fab combination.

I am intrigued now - I'll give it a try (once I find a veggie version) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Fridge/freezer clear down lunch:

Spinach, butternut squash and sweetcorn curry and hake fillet baked with a garam masala and lime butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Had the special in 147Deli. Jamaican jerk lamb with mango, papaya & habanero slaw with mango mayo. I think it's my favourite of their specials.

IMG_6447%20copy_zpsrdkxrgq7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Bun filled with chilli beans, feta cheese, scallion, tomatoes and avocado. Very filling and tasty.

• Advertisement

A more "inspired by" than authentic Greek dish:

Baked prawns with tomatoes, butter beans and feta. Pic taken before the baking.

Made a smoked mackerel kedgeree today, which looks slightly happy :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had my first experience of Johnny cakes today. They're basically cornmeal pancakes. Really delicious, and quite healthy! They were accompanied by tomato jam, jalapeños (still healthy...), pulled pork (less healthy...) and two mimosas (off the healthy wagon completely).

Pan fried bream fillet, tenderstem broccoli sauteed with garlic and lemon and a baked potato with a feta/cream cheese/shallot/dill topping.

Moroccan style ras al hanout roasted chicken.

Turned out to be one of the moistest chickens I've had in a long time: not sure if I struck it lucky with the bird itself (a pre-spatchcocked cornfed bird from Dunnes), or the method/timing just worked out nicely. Might require a redo to test :D

Pic is pre-roasting. Served with a simple wholegrain couscous side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I tried Delisuz on Blessington Street for the first time and I'm kicking myself it took me this long! I got an amazing chicken salad with chilli, lime, avocado, apple and cashews, husband got a chicken and chorizo sandwich with chipotle mayo on a sourdough with sesame seeds. All enjoyed in the beautiful surrounds of Blessington Street Park.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Simple and delish- Fish finger wrap. 4 fish fingers, salad leaf and home made 1000 island dressing. Popped leftover baby potatoes from last night's dinner into the oven with the fish fingers.

28935258804_b295bae8d5_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hp6p2Cj.jpg

Big salad with chicken, laughing cow and salsa.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made a warm cheesy spinach dip (should have had artichoke in it, but the shop was all out) and served it with crackers. Should have taken a picture, but it was a little green looking!

Kale/spinach salad with sweetcorn, red onion, edemame, artichoke hearts, baked tofu and buttermilk dressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

The bones of an entire packet of RiCh Tea biscuits and a cup of tea.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Kale/spinach salad with sweetcorn, red onion, edemame, artichoke hearts, baked tofu and buttermilk dressing.

Buttermilk dressing? I'm intrigued - how do you make that?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Buttermilk dressing? I'm intrigued - how do you make that?

Generally I mix (to a pouring/drizzling consistency) buttermilk with mayo, salt, black pepper, crushed/grated garlic, finely chopped minced scallion green/chives and if I have it to hand some fresh parsley. I've used dried parsley, and fresh/dried dill on occasions also. It's very much a "tweak to what you have/likings" sort of recipe (if it can be called that). Natural yogurt works well too in place of buttermilk, but depending on the type may need a little watering down, or sharpening up with a dash of vinegar/lemon juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Leftover saag paneer & chickpea pilau. Same for lunch yesterday. I in no way have a dainty appetite* but I'm currently getting a dinner & 2 lunches from a take out saag paneer & pilau from my local.

* Me.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Umi Palestinian Falafel, love that place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Had an appointment nearby so managed to weasel a trip to 147 deli in for lunch. Finally got to try their Reuben. It was, no hyperbole, one of the nicest sammidges of my life. Good bread, delightful corned beef, good sauerkraut, pickles, dressing and (I think) gruyere.

I'm working late* tonight so needed something substantial and got the 147 Reuben, sweet divine it was amazing! Followed by a roasted almond doughnut, because it's illegal to go in there and not get a doughnut.

*pissing about for Culture Night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dolbert wrote: »
    I'm working late* tonight so needed something substantial and got the 147 Reuben, sweet divine it was amazing! Followed by a roasted almond doughnut, because it's illegal to go in there and not get a doughnut.

*pissing about for Culture Night

Jealous :( I was looking at pictures of those doughnuts earlier and pretty much crying I wanted one so badly!

And my 'premium sandwich' from Dunnes (enormous scoop of tuna-sweetcorn-mayo & bright orange cheddar) was no reuben either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Polish sour rye soup with spinach pierogi and dark rye bread.

Edit, verdict :
    Sour soup is delicious.
    Pierogi filling was rotten.
    Rye bread was nice but a bit too sweet.

Polish sour rye soup with spinach pierogi and dark rye bread.

Edit, verdict :
    Sour soup is delicious.
    Pierogi filling was rotten.
    Rye bread was nice but a bit too sweet.

Sour rye soup? You wouldn't have a recipe to share by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shenshen wrote: »
    Sour rye soup? You wouldn't have a recipe to share by any chance?

No, I'm afraid.
    I bought a bottle of the fermented rye base in the Polish shop (very good ingredients) and added it to chicken stock as per instructions.
    Veg stock would obviously work too.

If you like fermented still, it's really nice.

Grilled bratwurst, sauerkraut with apple and caraway and buttered spatzle.

Some lovely flat mushrooms, stuffed with a very garlicky garlic and herb crumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

M&S Cottage Pie, strawberry yoghurt, C&O Hunky Dorys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Cauliflower & broccoli soup with a toasted ham and cheese sandwich.

• Advertisement

Cooking for one today and saw a nice swordfish steak in the fishmongers this morning that I knew would be good. Seasoned it and crusted it with sesame seed before pan-frying. It was juicy and delicious and went really well with a simple soy/honey/ginger/wasabi dressing. Served it with a bit of sushi rice that I had lingering in the cupboard that I cooked and seasoned with some mirin dressing. Delicious. Forgot to photo it as I was too busy being hungry :D

Advertisement