Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Good grub tonight. Prawns with garlic and chilli. Crusty bread for the juices. Fresh corn on the cob with butter, and patatas bravas with home made tomato sauce and roast garlic mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Good grub tonight. Prawns with garlic and chilli. Crusty bread for the juices. Fresh corn on the cob with butter, and patatas bravas with home made tomato sauce and roast garlic mayo.

^reported for not being in the dinner thread :mad:

Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Roast chicken breast with mashed avocado/lemon/roasted garlic/chilli spread on toasted multi grain loaf. Not the best pic, but tasting good :D

Devilled kidneys on toast.

• Advertisement

Made a nice curried pumpkin and parsnip soup. Went down lovely with some crusty baguette.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A Lebanese wrap filled with chicken goujons, spinach, chopped tomato and onion, mayonnaise and American mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I had a nice big mug of homemade leek and potato soup and some tinned mackerel on a slice of brown bread.

Defrosted random sausages, rashers (plain and smoked) that have been lingering in the freezer. Made a nice pot of coddle them up, and it was delicious :D

A bit of a meat-free Monday (for the lunch portion anyway!) Had some leftover tender stem broccoli so chopped the stalks up, stir-fried them with garlic, shallot then added the flower parts. Made and a spicy, sweet/sour sauce from random assortment of Asian ingredients in the cupboard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nice ham (from the bone) and cheese omelette...

30338474260_ca14d69d59_z.jpg

With some leftover mash potatoes and a bag of kale for 39c..it had to be colcannon. With some bacon bits and onion, it's a hard combination to beat :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've never made colcannon. Do you have a recipe, buffy?

I'm not even sure I'd call it a recipe (and everyone will have their own take on it).

You can use freshly made mash if you like. I just had some leftover, and it's a great way to use it up :D

Making from fresh: make your mash whichever way you like it.

I tend to go for a ratio of two parts potato to one third cooked kale..but vary that to personal taste.
    Cook the kale in boiling salted water or stock, if you want to add a little flavour. If you're serving it to go with ham or bacon, boil the kale in the cooking liqour from the meat. Strain the kale and press it down or squeeze it in a clean tea-towel to extract as much water as possible. If you don't like large chunks you can always put the pressed kale on to a chopping board and give a chop. Stir the kale into the potatoes.

Then add in some sauteed chopped onion and season it to taste. I use salt (if needed - not always, especially if the kale has been cooked in stock or bacon/ham liqour), white pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce (definitely not traditional)

For serving it as a dish on it's own, I fry off bacon lardons and the onions to that to soften in the rendered fat and add both. It has been known to be topped off with an poached or fried egg on particularly hungry days ;)

Cabbage works just as well as kale, though you don't get that iron-y flavour that comes from the kale. That may be a relief to some folks, though :P

I make it by thinly slicing the kale and steaming it till tender. Meanwhile make a delicious creamy mash. Then stir the two together. Simples.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks! Trying to increase my veg intake at the moment so I'm looking at all options to sneak it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Poppyseed bagel with Lidl pastrami, sliced gherkins, sauerkraut & mustard.

Had leftover beetroot from yesterday's dinner which I chopped and put into a quick pickle (hot sauce, sherry vinegar, garlic powder, honey, salt, pepper) and left it overnight.

Put it on a bed of greens, with slivers of shallot, and cherry tomatoes. Drizzled it with some of the pickling liquid and extra virgin olive oil. Finished it off with some crumbled some garlic and herb goat cheese.

Delicious!

...and the last of that goats cheese went inside a tasty, herby omelette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

When ever I had colcannon as a kid it was served with a well in the middle that was filled up with a mixture of hot milk and melted butter.

Jesus it was gorgeous.

• Advertisement

Italian style baguette (from Lidl), warmed and crisped in the oven. Split it and spead with mayo then filled with rocket, thin slices of rare flat iron steak and wedges of shallot that had been on the chargrill pan. Finished with some crumbled blue cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    When ever I had colcannon as a kid it was served with a well in the middle that was filled up with a mixture of hot milk and melted butter.

Jesus it was gorgeous.

We used call them volcanoes :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I didn't have this, but half pint was looking for relish for his ham and cheese sambo earlier. He didn't believe there was none. So when he had a look in the fridge and all he say on the shelf was jam, he said that would do. Raspberry jam, with ham and cheese. Must get from his mothers side.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Last nights colcannon with fresh mackerel and a slightly overcooked poached egg...

30489698460_8ff6460cca_z.jpg

Used leftover rice from yesterday's dinner and random rashers of bacon to make bacon and egg fried rice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I went to Superfoods Takeaway in Moore Street Mall. Got the hot smoked salmon with butternut squash, avocado and asparagus. Cannot believe they are only charging 9 something for it.

IMG_8090%20copy_zpsxjkrcgga.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A sambo with pastrami, mustard, pickles & slices of an onion & paprika Gouda that HB Jr I picked up in a Dutch cheese factory while on a school tour last week. (I had been hoping for 'brownies', but there you go... :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It's November, it's frosty so I popped down to Delisuz for my first Christmas sandwich of the season! Turkey, brie, stuffing, roasted sweet potato, cranberry sauce, & lettuce on GI bread. I think I prefer the leftover sandwich to Christmas dinner tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

A bowl of Friday soup.It did say "Soup of the day" on the menu.Yeah,I know it's an awful joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made nut and lentil loaf using Avoca's recipe. I can easily eat the whole thing myself.

Advertisement