Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whispered wrote: »
    I had never tried nutritional yeast before. The fact it's a "vegan" cheese replacement, meant I never bothered because I eat cheese. Plus the name is enough to put anyone off. But it was half price when I was shopping a few days ago so I said I'd try it. I'm really impressed tbh, much much lighter than cheese, although I wouldn't say it tastes much like it, it does give a lovely flavour. Plus it's "nutritional" :D

My OH makes a parmesan substitute from cashews, garlic powder, and 'nute' and I eat the damn stuff with a spoon, it's so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kylith wrote: »
    My OH makes a parmesan substitute from cashews, garlic powder, and 'nute' and I eat the damn stuff with a spoon, it's so good.

Oh do you have the quantities/method? I'd like to try it.

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh do you have the quantities/method? I'd like to try it.

3/4 cup cashews
    3tbsp nutritional yeast
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 tsp sea salt

I think he makes it by eye these days, but those are the basic measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Was out for lunch today so had quiche & soup. Was lovely for a change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

3/4 cup cashews
    3tbsp nutritional yeast
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 tsp sea salt

I think he makes it by eye these days, but those are the basic measurements.

Thanks for that, I might give that a try, too.
    I'm always looking for (dairy) equivalents of parmesan, as parmesan itself unfortunately isn't vegetarian. But they're kind of hard to find, so if this turns out nice I might just stick with it instead :)

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I might give that a try, too.
    I'm always looking for (dairy) equivalents of parmesan, as parmesan itself unfortunately isn't vegetarian. But they're kind of hard to find, so if this turns out nice I might just stick with it instead :)

Hope you like it. It has to be forcibly removed from me, and Niece reckons it's much nicer than parmesan.

Today I was in town and went to get a Tonkatsu Black in Kokoro, and it was absolutely scrumtious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The brioche buns from Dunnes are pretty damn tasty. Way better than Aldi's

I've made garlic udon twice over the weekend, and both times it hasn't made it far enough to be photographed. Flipping tasty. Will definitely be making it on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I've made garlic udon twice over the weekend, and both times it hasn't made it far enough to be photographed. Flipping tasty. Will definitely be making it on a regular basis.

Do you have a recipe you can link? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭treenytru

Birthday yesterday so went out for lunch

Been meaning to try this place for a while - Superfoods takeaway in Moore street mall

My friend had a turkey burger while I had the vegan burger

Absolutely delish...will be back for more:)

• Advertisement

cefh17 wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe you can link? :)

http://kelleyandcricket.com/sticky-garlic-noodles-ans-famous-garlic-noodles-copycat-15-minutes-gluten-free/

I'd recommend almost doubling the garlic. But I love the stuff, so I would say that.

I also boiled some quartered mushrooms and chopped carrots with the noodles. Some bok choi would be lovely in it too. I didn't bother with gluten free anything and used regular brown sugar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had mixed bean salad with turkey.

IMG_2885.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

http://kelleyandcricket.com/sticky-garlic-noodles-ans-famous-garlic-noodles-copycat-15-minutes-gluten-free/

I'd recommend almost doubling the garlic. But I love the stuff, so I would say that.

I also boiled some quartered mushrooms and chopped carrots with the noodles. Some bok choi would be lovely in it too. I didn't bother with gluten free anything and used regular brown sugar.

That sounds amazing! It's definitely on my to-try list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Slow-cooked beef brisket, pickled red onion, grain-mustard sauce, wild rocket and baby leaves sandwich from Brother Hubbard on Capel Street.

Amazing!

Wings.

IMG_20170820_WA0004_800x448.jpg

Roast cauliflower and garlic soup. I used nutritional yeast for that cheesy flavour. Very good.

Have a really simple tomato soup bubbling away happily. Dying for lunch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Soup for lunch is an indication of how bad the 'summer' weather is :(
    I'm making broccoli and cauliflower soup for lunch today.

Yep for sure. And baked/roast things. No oven at the moment, absolutely dying to get one and make a massive lasagna.

Soup turned out really well. I got the recipe online. Basically it was; 4 tbsp butter, 1/2 large onion roughly cut and a tin of tomatoes simmered lightly for 40mins and then blended.

I doubled the recipe but instead of using two tins of tomatoes I used one, plus about 10 cherry tomatoes and 5 sundried tomatoes. I threw in 2 cloves of garlic too. Very easy and rich thanks to the butter.

Had oatmeal raisin cookie pancakes for lunch. They were going to be for breakfast but we ran out of non-dairy milk so they had to wait until after the shopping run. They were delicious.

Himself is now asking about the possibility of savoury pancakes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Decent noodles from Asia Market, Pac Choi and Ikea meatballs...

36938155715_6c0e6aa75b_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Made a Moroccan lamb dish at the weekend that had a griddled aubergine/courgette/olive/peppers and sun dried tomatoes veg accomplishment.

Leftover veg with taziki on toasted pitta.

IMG_0144.jpg

After Bread Week last night on the GBBO I was dying for home made bread, so I made Neven Maguire's wheaten bread and we had it with home made soup for lunch.

IMG_3026.jpg

Roasted vegetable soup with beans.

IMG_3033.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Carrot and lentil soup with toasted cumin seeds on top. I'll definitely be making it again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Let's wake up this thread.

Lunch today was sliced rare striploin steak, with lightly stir fried asparagus, peppers and onions, doused in spices and topped with salsa and sour cream. Ten minute wonder of a meal.

Crackers & cheese and vegetable soup at Portmarnock beach after a lovely walk :)

(@Mystery Egg, I swear I'm not copying your brekkie at Dollymount :pac: )

Today will be roast tomato and garlic soup with brown soda bread.

Tomorrow's lunch will be carrot and miso soup. Not exactly as delicious as I'd hoped but since I've a pot of it I guess I'm eating it.

• Advertisement

An egg scrambled with fresh spinach, some chives and pepper, on a slice of wheaten bread. Thick real butter absolutely mandatory.

Advertisement