Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason 5

Options
  • 22-09-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I've been an avid reason fan for a few years now, but more recently I just wasn't feeling it with Reason 4. However, I've just purchased the new version, and while I haven't used it much and have only had a quick mess around with it, it appears to be awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing qhat kind of new sounds I can get out of it.

I've had a quick play with the new Korg drum sampler and the sounds coming out of it are very nice, I can finally start seeing the kind of minimal, tech beats that were so hard to make in previous versions.

Has anyone else had a chance to check it out yet, any opinions on the new version?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

i didn't even know this was out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I did a bucketful of music in the older Reason, still an advocate if a persons on a laptop and wants 'it all there' in a simple form, but looks like they listened to late to what people wanted/needed.

I just think it's great this software has made it into schools - saving schools the hassle of vst / plugin management and such.

Almost tempted, but digging Ableton way to much now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The Kong drum machince is AMAZING! And the new sequencer is an improvement also.
    Not much else changed. Dr Rex thing is a tad dif but not really soundwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spankmaster

Yeah I havent noticed any changes to the usual samplers - NNXT, NN19 or Thor apart from some visual tweaks. The sound library is a lot bigger too.

The Kong sampler is indeed what I've been waiting for! Will have to spend some time on it and see what else is different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Yeah I havent noticed any changes to the usual samplers - NNXT, NN19

you can sample diretly into them in real time now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

I bought 4.0 about three weeks before the window for free 5.0 upgrades was announced. This program got me back in to making music after a decade long sabbatical. I got an email from -008 who releases commercial and free refills...the first free one is here but I've no idea what it's like.

Helix wrote: »
    you can sample diretly into them in real time now

Cool I hadn't noticed!

dasdog wrote: »
    I bought 4.0 about three weeks before the window for free 5.0 upgrades was announced. This program got me back in to making music after a decade long sabbatical. I got an email from -008 who releases commercial and free refills...the first free one is here but I've no idea what it's like.

Thanks will check this out

Im liking kong allright, but thats about it..i generally just have a few combinators hooked up to pro tools, so haven't really used these new blocks that people are raving about..ya, im liking kong though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Im liking kong allright, but thats about it..i generally just have a few combinators hooked up to pro tools, so haven't really used these new blocks that people are raving about..ya, im liking kong though..

Blocks == Clip mode in Ableton - so a section where you can keep riffs separate from the main song arrange window and then drag over to there when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Did the kong drum machine replace the redrum or is it still there aswell?

I always liked reason, its very quick to get something down but the downside is that it takes a lot of tweaking to get something to sound professional.

A good tip i picked up through trial and error is when using the redrum, if u press tab and go to the back view and then wire the left and right channels of the redrum to two seperate channels of the mixer and pan each of them ever so slightly to the left and to the right you get a much fatter drum sound.

• Advertisement

Redrum is still there, in fact everything is still there from Reason 4, but just lots of new stuff. The new 'blocks' feature is very cool - it basically allows you to copy say an 8 bar loop and make a whole track from it. Previously it was very laborious trying to copy and paste loops from various parts of a track. The micro tutorial explains it well -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6UFCdD4Lyk

But I agree with everyone that the Kong is the best addition to R5 - the sounds it can make are limitless. I've tried the live sampling also with NNXT and its pretty cool, and the ability to edit the samples is a nice touch (been waiting a long time to see a 'waveform editor' in reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

dasdog wrote: »
    I bought 4.0 about three weeks before the window for free 5.0 upgrades was announced.

Funny, I did the exact same thing.
    Kong looks cool but I hate the "clips" they introduced in 4. Just made the sequencer, which was fine, make no sense to me. Are the clips still there in 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DrBass

Lads, do ye start with a new rack for every new project, or do ye have one pre-loaded (custom) and already tweaked already to ur liking,

I have a few set up, mainly for redrum to get my drum hits sounding fatter

Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JudKRCN8gEo

DrBass wrote: »
    Lads, do ye start with a new rack for every new project, or do ye have one pre-loaded (custom) and already tweaked already to ur liking,

I have a few set up, mainly for redrum to get my drum hits sounding fatter

Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JudKRCN8gEo

I always start with an empty rack but then again I would do all processing outside of Reason.
    I usually use Reason to get an idea going which is its forte, I think.
    I do love Scream and the reverb unit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

i must upgrade to this, i still have 3

i tried a demo of 4 and didn't think much of it

i must upgrade to this, i still have 3

i tried a demo of 4 and didn't think much of it

I'd imagine the update from 3 to 5 would be well worth it. Unless they penalise you for skipping a version. Don't think they do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Incredibly disappointing the fact that the outboard screen is still skinny

Advertisement