Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nature in the News

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Geoge Monbiot is certainly prone to hyperbole! Pine Martens are an ideal way to reduce Grey Squirrel numbers and range,and increase those of Red Squirrels, but they're only one management technique of many that would have to be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nice to see what can result from proper habitat restoration.
    http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141212-record-year-for-bitterns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nice to see what can result from proper habitat restoration.
    http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141212-record-year-for-bitterns

No reason why the same couldn't happen over here. Somewhere like Boora would be ideal for these birds with a bit of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Birdnuts wrote: »
    No reason why the same couldn't happen over here. Somewhere like Boora would be ideal for these birds with a bit of work
    Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Euros

I think you are right about the money.

I wonder do we get many in the country at all? I know there have been odd reports here and there but do they breed here even in small numbers? I have often been in places that I think look fantastic for bitterns but have not seen or heard any. I know they are very secrective and so can be overlooked. Maybe this spring I'll see can I get out to an area where I might here a booming male. What a sound that would be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

DellyBelly wrote: »

I wonder do we get many in the country at all? I know there have been odd reports here and there but do they breed here even in small numbers? I have often been in places that I think look fantastic for bitterns but have not seen or heard any. I know they are very secrective and so can be overlooked. Maybe this spring I'll see can I get out to an area where I might here a booming male. What a sound that would be

I think most of the reports of Bitterns here are in the winter season rather than the breeding season. To be honest I don't think there are any breeding in Ireland, even ones that are overlooked. They'd be great to have back though!

Since about 2010 there have been a few winter sightings but no reports of even suspected breeding or summer residents.

DellyBelly wrote: »

I saw one at Tacumshin in Jan 2011. More probable in Winter than the summer. Continental Bitterns escaping the winter seek out non-frozen reedbeds. If the winter in Europe is harsh then a greater chance they will land in Ireland.

Breeding Bitterns require preferably large extensive fresh water (can tolerate Brackish reedbeds) which are in short supply in Ireland. Wintering birds can make use of much smaller reedbeds.

'Rise in Shark attacks doesn't mean more Sharks' (from Australia, via New Scientist)

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530083.400-rise-in-shark-attacks-does-not-mean-more-sharks.html#.VNvday7o6KU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Places like Australia and India (tigers) are criticised whenever they exterminate large predators, but at the same time the "moving them on" policy is not much good either. Meanwhile over in our part of the world we are safe in the knowledge that we exterminated everything larger than a fox hundreds of years ago.
    I don't see any solution for them until scientists invent some sort of technology to separate large predators from people. Nets and fences are just too expensive and unreliable, considering the vast areas involved.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Places like Australia and India (tigers) are criticised whenever they exterminate large predators, but at the same time the "moving them on" policy is not much good either. Meanwhile over in our part of the world we are safe in the knowledge that we exterminated everything larger than a fox hundreds of years ago.
    I don't see any solution for them until scientists invent some sort of technology to separate large predators from people. Nets and fences are just too expensive and unreliable, considering the vast areas involved.

The two things that come to mind are that 1) prevention is best (though as you say, we may need to come up with something new and more effective).

and 2) Theres an argument for killing particularly problematic individuals, but a broad untargeted shark cull isn't the answer.

'Do hedgehogs not like north Mayo?'

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/access-science-do-hedgehogs-not-like-northwest-mayo-1.2091186?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The article highlights the importance of submitting any and all mammal sightings to the National Biodiversity Data Centre ahead of the Mammal Atlas being put together next year. EVERY SINGLE RECORD IS IMPORTANT - every mouse, rat, rabbit, deer, fox hedgehog - everything! Don't assume that someobody else has recorded them in your area or that the NBDC 'probably know already that they're there'!

Theres an argument for killing particularly problematic individuals, but a broad untargeted shark cull isn't the answer.
    I agree. But the policy of closing the beach until the predator moves on seems like a good way of training them to hunt people. Maybe if they threw in a dead pig or something every day after a shark attack, the killer shark would stay around, and then they could target it.

I agree. But the policy of closing the beach until the predator moves on seems like a good way of training them to hunt people. Maybe if they threw in a dead pig or something every day after a shark attack, the killer shark would stay around, and then they could target it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the first bit there? Surely taking everyone out of the water takes away their potential food source - if there's no food then the shark will have no interest in sticking around, and probably minimal interest in specifically coming back.

And if anything, I think the second bit you said is more likely to cause problems - it'll draw in more than the one problematic shark to the area - so you're actively attracting sharks to an area near the beach! Bad idea! And if you're then to suggest killing all of the sharks, then you're just doing the broadscale cull!

Surely taking everyone out of the water takes away their potential food source - if there's no food then the shark will have no interest in sticking around, and probably minimal interest in specifically coming back.
    Take everyone out for their own safety yes, but after that they should be trying to lure in the shark.
    If the shark realises after a few days that the hunting ground is now barren, it may travel further down the coast to try another beach, where the people will be caught off guard. Hence the situation of more attacks, even though less big sharks. Also I'm pretty sure they are capable of remembering their successful feeding grounds, and coming back to the same place at intervals. They are even capable of timing their arrival at some beaches to coincide with the breeding seasons of penguins and seals, arriving just in time to catch the prey entering the water.
    And if anything, I think the second bit you said is more likely to cause problems - it'll draw in more than the one problematic shark to the area - so you're actively attracting sharks to an area near the beach! Bad idea!
    There is some risk of that, but as a strictly short term measure, it is more likely to attract a big predator that is already patrolling the beach than one that is out in deep water.

Take everyone out for their own safety yes, but after that they should be trying to lure in the shark.
    If the shark realises after a few days that the hunting ground is now barren, it may travel further down the coast to try another beach, where the people will be caught off guard. Hence the situation of more attacks, even though less big sharks. Also I'm pretty sure they are capable of remembering their successful feeding grounds, and coming back to the same place at intervals. They are even capable of timing their arrival at some beaches to coincide with the breeding seasons of penguins and seals, arriving just in time to catch the prey entering the water.

I see where you're coming from in terms of trying to get the shark in a short space of time - I just think it's a dangerous game to be playing given that the blood and scent of that bait animal will linger in the water after you've gotten that problematic shark.

And the "may move to the next beach" argument is a bit 50/50 in my opinion - it could just as easily not do that!
    There is some risk of that, but as a strictly short term measure, it is more likely to attract a big predator that is already patrolling the beach than one that is out in deep water.

Well like I said, the scent and body of that bait animal will probably remain for some time - seems like a risky game to playing compared to removing the food source!

But we'll agree to disagree!

Two articles on badger baiting in the Tullamore area - including a successful prosecution:

http://www.wri.ie/Linked%20docs/Charleville%20Badgers.pdf

An article about some upcoming research on Deer in Ireland - should be interesting!

http://t.co/uBhmedI2De

Two articles on badger baiting in the Tullamore area - including a successful prosecution:

http://www.wri.ie/Linked%20docs/Charleville%20Badgers.pdf

And another badger story, where a dog was caught in what seems to have been an illegal snare:
    http://www.westcorkpeople.ie/features/west-cork-badgers-snared-for-illegal-and-cruel-sport/

• Advertisement

Nothing definite, but the Golden Eagle Trust suspect that the female of a pair of White-tailed Eagles in Co. Galway has died. This is based on the movements of its partner, a male with a satellite tracker on it, who has been wandering the country a lot this winter - which it would be less likely to do if its mate was around: https://www.facebook.com/144404808950774/photos/a.145791098812145.28838.144404808950774/858261820898399/?type=1
    After 3 years apparently well-settled on territory and paired with a female in west Connemara, something is going on with 2009 male Star. Over the winter he made a couple of excursions away from Connemara to south-east Galway but returned to his territory. Not so just now though.

After returning to his territory on 6th Jan he headed east on 13th Jan roosting on the shore of Lough Corrib, the to Loughrea in SE Galway on 15th, then the shores of Lough Derg near Portumna on 18th, east into north Tipperary near Lorrha on 20th, north into south Offaly on 21st, to Lough Ennel in Westmeath on 23rd, and on to nearby Lough Owel on 24th Jan where he spent the next few days.

On 28th Jan Star headed east into Meath then south to roost near Blessington, Co. Wicklow nest day. On 30th he headed further south to roost near Tullow, Co. Carlow, then south-west into Tipp roosting between Fethard and New Inn next day. On 1st Feb Star started to head back north-west to roost near Feakle in east Clare, then on to the west shore of Lough Corrib next day. On 7th Feb he finally returned back on territory to roost near his 2014 nest site. On 9th Feb he was back on the shore of Lough Corrib where he remains for the moment.

Although it’s as yet too early to be definite, all the evidence from his movements away from his territory suggests that something bad has happened to his mate. It’s just too unlikely that he would be spending so long away and travel so extensively round Ireland (see the map showing his GPS satellite tracks) if he had a mate still on territory. Over the next couple of months we should be able to confirm this but if something has happened to his mate (2009 female) it’s unlikely we will ever know for sure what as she doesn’t have a working transmitter to relocate her. Star will be keen to breed again this year so let’s hope he finds his old or a new mate pronto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

And another badger story, where a dog was caught in what seems to have been an illegal snare:
    http://www.westcorkpeople.ie/features/west-cork-badgers-snared-for-illegal-and-cruel-sport/

After reading that you would wonder why its the badgers are called animals.

Irish Raptors: Tralee Bypass survey finds two dead Barn Owls in one day

http://irishraptors.blogspot.com/2015/02/tralee-bypass-survey-finds-two-dead_12.html?spref=tw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭marlin vs

This bird was ringed, the details revealing that it too was ringed on 9th August 2015 at a site near Milltown, about 15km distant. A1RWw8p.gif

marlin vs wrote: »
    This bird was ringed, the details revealing that it too was ringed on 9th August 2015 at a site near Milltown, about 15km distant. A1RWw8p.gif

....presumably thats meant to be 2014....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Anyone know what's become of the "Mooney Goes Wild" slot on the former Mooney Show ? Is it gone gone or to be given a life of its own somewhere else on the RTE schedules? I didn't often get to listen in on Fridays but occasionally caught snippets. Just wondering if it's a downgrading of nature & environmental topics on RTE Radio or wil Mooney reemerge with a new nature related radio programme given his new "role" within RTE ?

I presume its gone along with the presenter. The replacement show is a painful to listen to "dumbing down" of national radio.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what's become of the "Mooney Goes Wild" slot on the former Mooney Show ? Is it gone gone or to be given a life of its own somewhere else on the RTE schedules? I didn't often get to listen in on Fridays but occasionally caught snippets. Just wondering if it's a downgrading of nature & environmental topics on RTE Radio or wil Mooney reemerge with a new nature related radio programme given his new "role" within RTE ?

Mooney Goes Wild was supposed to be going to a weekend slot but I didn't hear the schedule.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not 100% sure if this is the sort of news which lives in this thread:

http://www.wicklownews.net/2015/02/attempts-to-bury-video-of-deer-running-through-ashbourne-co-meath/

The deer in the video looks very much like one of the captive bred Red deer that the Ward Union hunt formerly used/abused for stag hunting.
    The background for this is that one of the last things the Green Party did before abdicating in 2010 was to ban stag-hunting, which was only being practised by that one hunt, and in the Ashbourne area. FG made an election promise that they would reverse the ban if they got elected, but then reneged on the promise.

According to the link, the video of the stag running through the beer garden was shot on 30th Jan.

According to this Irish Times article dated 18th Jan, the Gardai were already investigating the Ward Union for illegal activity even before that. Basically they are claiming they "accidentally come across stags" while out and about in the area, taking the hounds for a trot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife grew up in that area; i don't recall her mentioning ever coming across a deer in her 30 years there.

Deaths of barn owls and chicks lead to survey on Tralee bypass
    Barn owls began to be killed within days of the €97m bypass opening

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/deaths-of-barn-owls-and-chicks-lead-to-survey-on-tralee-bypass-1.2113158

• Advertisement

An open letter from hill farmers to minister Simon Coveney - 'Commonage eligibility cuts will lead to the abandonment of land and rural decline'

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/commonage-eligibility-cuts-will-lead-to-the-abandonment-of-land-and-rural-decline-31015567.html

Signed by a number of farming, hunting/gamekeeeping and conservation organisations. I think the IFA are conspicuous by their absence.

Something interesting found inside the stomach of a Gannet in the Netherlands....

http://btoringing.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/eat-like-gannet.html

Also in the Netherlands; an Eagle Owl terrorises townsfolk. Locals urged to carry umbrellas.
    Hitchcock would have loved Dutch birds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Another Interesting article by the excellent Paddy Woodworth in the IT this morning on the reintroduction of Grey Partridge to north Co Dublin.
    Three local farmers with The Grey Partridge Trust, NARGC and Fingal Co Co have all come together in this effort.
    One of my favorite birds I have fond memories as a lad of a covey in an out farm for many years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Here's the link - well worth a read:

GLAS scheme for Grey Partridge. An re-introduction in Northern Ireland using Boora birds recently took place. Hopefully more can take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

greenwoodpeckerplusone_1_1600x900.jpg

This incredible photo of the struggle between a green woodpecker and a hungry weasel was captured by Martin Le-May in Hornchurch Country Park, east London. The woodpecker escaped from the battle alive, and the weasel disappeared into the grass

Full story: http://news.sky.com/gallery/1437490/weasel-takes-a-ride-on-a-woodpecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

greatest nature pic of all time??

what are the chances of capturing that...one in a million?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

A few unrelated bits of wildlife news today:

http://www.irelandswildlife.com/frogs-bounce-back-at-kildare-site-after-2014-deaths/
    Just over a year ago the Herpetological Society of Ireland (HSI) was called out to a site in Kildare where hundreds of common frogs were lying dead. Thankfully, one year on things seem to have improved, but the exact cause of the mass mortality remains a mystery…

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/shooting-dead-of-heron-in-co-cork-condemned-1.2133990
    Shooting dead of heron in Co Cork condemned
    Predator which is protected species shot dead on banks of Sullane river near Macroom

http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/RSPB_Time_is_running_out_for_T_in_the_Park_as_Ospreys_start_returning_to_UK.aspx?s_id=997855190
    RSPB Scotland has today warned time is running out to reduce the impact of T in the Park on wildlife at Strathallan Castle in Perthshire.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/access-science-wind-turbines-pose-a-threat-to-the-birds-of-ireland-1.2129620
    What do swans, golden plovers, hen harriers and geese have in common? Aside from being able to fly, they are all to be found on a list of the 22 bird species most affected by the positioning of wind turbines...................

..............With this in mind, he and others in BirdWatch Ireland have developed a mapping tool, Bird Sensitivity to Wind Energy Development. It takes the uncertainty out of choosing locations for turbines and identifying areas that would be particularly damaging for bird life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

GLAS scheme for Grey Partridge. An re-introduction in Northern Ireland using Boora birds recently took place. Hopefully more can take place.
    Fingal County Council, the Grey Partridge Trust and the IFA wish to invite farmers in the Rolestown, Ballyboughal and Oldtown area in north Co. dublin to a Grey Partridge public information evening on Thursday 19th March at 19.30 in the Kettles Country House Hotel. GLAS advisor Michael Martyn and Kieran Buckley of the Irish Conservation Grey Partridge Trust will present more details on the Grey Partridge measure:

More details here.

i've forwarded that on to the father in law - he lives in that area and knows several farmers there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

i've forwarded that on to the father in law - he lives in that area and knows several farmers there.
    Problem with the GLAS scheme is payments are capped, so it might not be worthwhile for a farmer to enter the scheme.

A piece in the New York Times about Peregrines in Dublin: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/magazine/a-falcon-in-the-city.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

• Advertisement
Advertisement