Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nature in the News

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home wrote: »
    I wonder how they decide who's to strike their prey. Beautiful, all the same.

Yes, indeed. Where to move to must be controlled by only one of the brains. There's also the risk that one head will attack the other.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, indeed. Where to move to must be controlled by only one of the brains. There's also the risk that one head will attack the other.

I think the risk would be higher if they were conjoined at a different angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'd guess they would both strike at the same target. Double whammy.
    But then the question arises, who eats it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Doesn't matter, they both get the benefit!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I doubt they'd manage to do a "Lady and the Tramp".

recedite wrote: »
    I'd guess they would both strike at the same target. Double whammy.
    But then the question arises, who eats it ?

Talking to someone in the know today; it's likely only one would strike at a time and the satisfaction affect of eating is felt, of course, by both. He also said, from similar cases in the past, that the heads could certainly attack each other, as they don't seem to be conscious that the other head is in fact itself. Their survival in the wild is rare because the heads attack each other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/24/monsanto-weedkiller-harms-bees-research-finds

Researchers claim to have found a link between glyphosate and bee gut health. Not a positive link.

Chinese scientists previously found
    Larvae were reared in vitro and fed diet containing glyphosate 0.8, 4, and 20 mg/L.
    and then there was another notorious study that found rats fed on glyphosate sometimes develop cancer tumours.
    Personally I don't think these kind of studies are very realistic. If you fed the same animals on washing up liquid they would probably suffer even more, but that would not stop me using it for washing the dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Not really news (yet) but interesting anyway

beluga in the Thames

https://twitter.com/iPterodroma/status/1044535018863890433

• Advertisement

Hopefully they will be returned. Its not the sort of animal you can sell down in the local pet shop. The article hints at lack of security, but I don't think that is the answer.
    Australians have the right answer with Koala Bears- it is illegal to keep one as a pet anywhere in the world. Even Australians can't do it.
    So if you had one, there is no chance of claiming to your friends that you "got it through a reputable dealer" or "it was captive bred".

Unless they keep them to eat them, or to sell them in the black market... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

keps wrote: »

Once I read "subsidised spruce plantations cover vast tracts of the Irish countryside" I stopped as the rest of the article has to be just as ill informed.

Once I read "subsidised spruce plantations cover vast tracts of the Irish countryside" I stopped as the rest of the article has to be just as ill informed.
    Why do you disagree? Forestry grants are a thing.

Why do you disagree? Forestry grants are a thing.

"Vast Swathes of the Irish Countryside"?????

The reduction in the numbers of those species of birds is not due to any of the meagre forestation in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

"Vast Swathes of the Irish Countryside"?????

The reduction in the numbers of those species of birds is not due to any of the meagre forestation in this country.

Core hen harrier breeding areas have high levels of closed canopy conifer planations, Hen Harriers cannot hunt in those areas. Those areas have also increased densities of foxes/corvids which negatively affect hen harrier productivity. Hen Harrier breeding pairs continue to plummet in Ireland and the main cause is the increase in closed canopy conifer plantations.

Core hen harrier breeding areas have high levels of closed canopy conifer planations, Hen Harriers cannot hunt in those areas. Those areas have also increased densities of foxes/corvids which negatively affect hen harrier productivity. Hen Harrier breeding pairs continue to plummet in Ireland and the main cause is the increase in closed canopy conifer plantations.

I accept that but the article's assertion that 'vast swathes' of the countryside is forested, when we are one of the least forested countries in Europe with only 11%, is being overly dramatic and is misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I accept that but the article's assertion that 'vast swathes' of the countryside is forested, when we are one of the least forested countries in Europe with only 11%, is being overly dramatic and is misleading.

In places like Leitrim, Roscommon and other counties in the north/west its a much more significant proportion than counties in the east and south. The majority of the authors experience is with breeding Curlew, so I suspect when she's talking about 'vast swathes' she's thinking of that part of the country.

I surveyed around 20 breeding Curlew sites in those counties in 2017, and every single one of them had a block of forestry beside them, and little or no Curlew/wader breeding activity as a result.

Afforestation of marginal farmland is one of the major threats for ground nesting birds, and is becoming an increasing threat for wintering waterbirds too.

:( :mad:

i have read comment online that the headline and many conclusions reported are premature - here's hoping:

Britain faces brown hare extinction as myxomatosis ‘leaps species’
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/britain-faces-brown-hare-extinction-as-myxomatosis-leaps-species-rkphfzpl0?shareToken=976c7be16d23a0d0e7ce2e9122d4f7d5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:( :mad:

you are right. there are no words. totally barbaric. Was there not something much lesser here in Killarney National Park a few years ago g

The deer are specially bred for their antlers. Check out the headgear on these (which are in NZ but there is an international trade in the stud deer)..
    http://peelforestestate.co.nz/trophy-masters-looking-pretty-sharp-video/

IMO you can't really complain unless you are already a vegan. selective breeding of livestock for various purposes has been going on for millennia.

• Advertisement

Don't their antlers fall off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

They look abnormal! Like those Belgian blue bulls... That's not natural selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Graces7 wrote: »
    you are right. there are no words. totally barbaric. Was there not something much lesser here in Killarney National Park a few years ago g
    Deer have to be culled (manually) in order to maintain the herds health status as they do not have any natural predators. NPWS are the authorised body who carry out these culls.

That to me is the difference. Having to cull animals that wouldn't otherwise be there to maintain numbers within manageable levels is bad enough when done by official bodies, but trophy hunting, to me, is despicable. Killing anything shouldn't be done for fun, in my view.

Base price wrote: »
    Deer have to be culled (manually) in order to maintain the herds health status as they do not have any natural predators. NPWS are the authorised body who carry out these culls.

And that is the difference - a huge difference. The comparison between this story and needful culls in Killarney is muddying the waters unnecessarily. You are perfectly correct on the necessary culling and the proper role of NPWS in it.

• Advertisement

Don't they their antlers fall off?

These people want the complete rack of antlers for mounting, as opposed to single antlers. I've a fair selection of antlers here, that have all been naturally shed.

These people want the complete rack of antlers for mounting, as opposed to single antlers. I've a fair selection of antlers here, that have all been naturally shed.
    Is it not the case that trophy hunters want the antlers still attached to the scull.

deise08 wrote: »
    They look abnormal! Like those Belgian blue bulls... That's not natural selection.
    No its not, its selective breeding. There are various strains of "domesticated" red deer now, some bred for antlers and some for meat.
    Also you have to consider that in NZ these are not a native species to be "managed" for any ecological reason. They are farmed livestock. Same goes for a wildlife park/deer farm in the UK. Also I assume the meat is consumed after they have been shot.

If you oppose killing animals for sport, then you have do ask yourself whether wearing leather or fur is really a necessity for you, or whether you can survive without eating hamburgers and/or rashers. Its not easy to draw that line in the sand.
    I'm not a vegetarian by the way, nor do I hunt.

No its not, its selective breeding. There are various strains of "domesticated" red deer now, some bred for antlers and some for meat.
    Also you have to consider that in NZ these are not a native species to be "managed" for any ecological reason. They are farmed livestock. Same goes for a wildlife park/deer farm in the UK. Also I assume the meat is consumed after they have been shot.

If you oppose killing animals for sport, then you have do ask yourself whether wearing leather or fur is really a necessity for you, or whether you can survive without eating hamburgers and/or rashers. Its not easy to draw that line in the sand.
    In fairness leather/skins are a byproduct of the meat industry. Wearing fur is a personal choice.
    I do hunt/fish and other than vermin I cook and eat everything.
    ** I don't hunt deer as I don't possess a suitable rifle but I do enjoy venison.

The 'crazy' desire to shoot wildlife can have a bad ending

Today's Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/14/british-man-shot-dead-by-hunter-in-france

Is it not the case that trophy hunters want the antlers still attached to the scull.

That's what makes it a rack.

:mad: :( again...

That is not the incident I was talking about.

although there was deep concern also about the way they "disposed" of the remains which is what sparked the row in the press.

A separate event when the right to kill a stag in the National park was sold to a US hunter. Same idea as this article. I was deeply involved with the NPWS at that time.

Indeed yes. My own father had such a pair of "trophies" mounted. Tiny antlers...skull bones and all..they haunted me all my childhood

• Advertisement

Re your last para. survive? meat is not a necessity and easy to live without harm nor hurt. and without fur or leather. each to their own..

but yes you are right. needs must be consistent

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note:

This thread is for Nature/News - if people want to continue the above convo DM me and I'll move it to its own thread. Otherwise, lets stick to News in here!

Cheers!

Good God... 23?

When I read stuff like that, I really hate people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

23 is a drop in the ocean if u ask me....

cd07 wrote: »
    23 is a drop in the ocean if u ask me....

Agreed, the odds of finding a dead bird are huge.

Oceans are made up of drops, though.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your posts, I thought you meant that 23 was only a small number and nothing to worry about, whereas I think you actually meant that way more birds are killed but are never found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Agreed, the odds of finding a dead bird are huge.

And the odds finding the culprit of a shooting or poisoning are bigger again

• Advertisement

On a happier note...

It's probably old news, but still...

Advertisement